6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

DaCajun

Reaction score
The engine produced from 94-early 03 is in fact the greatest thing to grace the super duty platform

I don't know about that, is the 7.3 a good diesel engine??? I don't think anyone's going to deny that!!! I own and have owned a 2002 F350 DRW CrewCab 4x4 and as we all know is power by the infamous 7.3. And I will say it's been pretty much flawless. The for the out to the fourteen years I've owned this truck it for the first time left me on the side of the road. The damn drive by wire accelerator pedal failed. That damn thing cost me $550!!! It was the adjustable pedal, so those are five times the cost of the non adjustable pedals. And that $550 was a deal!!! The dealership wanted something in the neighborhood of $800ish!!!

Anyways, I'm in the process of building a 6.7 and by digging into the guts of this motor you can see it's a damn good, very well thought out motor. Well that is of course with the exception of these whimpy ass rods!!! But even the latter model 7.3s shared that very same weakness just as well. We have to keep in mind these engines were designed for the power levels Ford had intended for them, not some 1500hp monsters!!!! Anyways, these 6.7s, once ******d and some stronger rods added them are some badass motors!!! I'm looking forward to finishing this one up and installing it into an F450 I'm pretty much building from scratch....

Yea the 7.3s are very good, but these newer bitches sure in the hell ain't no damn slouches!!! :)

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know about that, is the 7.3 a good diesel engine??? I don't think anyone's going to deny that!!! I own and have owned a 2002 F350 DRW CrewCab 4x4 and as we all know is power by the infamous 7.3. And I will say it's been pretty much flawless. The for the out to the fourteen years I've owned this truck it for the first time left me on the side of the road. The damn drive by wire accelerator pedal failed. That damn thing cost me $550!!! It was the adjustable pedal, so those are five times the cost of the non adjustable pedals. And that $550 was a deal!!! The dealership wanted something in the neighborhood of $800ish!!!

Anyways, I'm in the process of building a 6.7 and by digging into the guts of this motor you can see it's a damn good, very well thought out motor. Well that is of course with the exception of these whimpy ass rods!!! But even the latter model 7.3s shared that very same weakness just as well. We have to keep in mind these engines were designed for the power levels Ford had intended for them, not some 1500hp monsters!!!! Anyways, these 6.7s, once ******d and some stronger rods added them are some badass motors!!! I'm looking forward to finishing this one up and installing it into an F450 I'm pretty much building from scratch....

Yea the 7.3s are very good, but these newer bitches sure in the hell ain't no damn slouches!!! :)

the forged 7.3 rods are still weaker than 6.7 rods.

Wayne

Reaction score
the forged 7.3 rods are still weaker than 6.7 rods.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This I love. everybody back in the day talking about how awesome their motor is because it has the forged rods, when they're still weaker that the "whimpy" stock 6.7 rods. Evolution sure has changed our perspective of what's good.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This I love. everybody back in the day talking about how awesome their motor is because it has the forged rods, when they're still weaker that the "whimpy" stock 6.7 rods. Evolution sure has changed our perspective of what's good.

even though i've forgotten my roots .. LOL , we were chucking 7.3 forged rods at 600+ . i remember how huge 727hp was back in 2006 , i was so pumped. oh how the times have changed.

Black AOD

Reaction score
even though i've forgotten my roots .. LOL , we were chucking 7.3 forged rods at 600+ . i remember how huge 727hp was back in 2006 , i was so pumped. oh how the times have changed.

This actually is funny...I was just talking about this last friday with a few folk when we were at the dyno.

10 Years ago, 800HP was REALLY something....Hell 5-6 years ago a 800-1000+ HP anything was impressive.

Now it seems (IMHO) like 1000hp+ cars/trucks are much more common and people in the industry just kind of "Ehh" at them. I personally still find them quite awesome but not everybody agrees with me....

It takes 1500-2000HP to really wow a lot people it seems....

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
It takes 1500-2000HP to really wow a lot people it seems....

Thanks to number inflating and social media.

There's very few trucks that make 1500 hp and actually do something impressive with it, in my opinion.

We're in this day in age where you can go to an event and the main attraction is the dyno; because of it more trucks are being built to do just that.. Anyone that makes over 800hp and actually gets it down the street or track consistently has my respect, no matter what brand or affiliation.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Thanks to number inflating and social media.

There's very few trucks that make 1500 hp and actually do something impressive with it, in my opinion.

We're in this day in age where you can go to an event and the main attraction is the dyno; because of it more trucks are being built to do just that.. Anyone that makes over 800hp and actually gets it down the street or track consistently has my respect, no matter what brand or affiliation.
I won't argue that. I completely agree but more and more really high HP trucks are appearing. Especially these cummins trucks.....It's amazing what those 6.7s are doing

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Yep, the dyno guys are polarizing figures but I can't knock their hustle. Just because a truck on a dyno (unless it's my own) isn't very interesting to me, doesn't mean what those guys do isn't good for the industry. We can definitely learn a few things by watching their trials and tribulations.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Yep, the dyno guys are polarizing figures but I can't knock their hustle. Just because a truck on a dyno (unless it's my own) isn't very interesting to me, doesn't mean what those guys do isn't good for the industry. We can definitely learn a few things by watching their trials and tribulations.

Don't think I could have said it better Honestly. Good Input

Dan

Reaction score
That's old news dude.

He already transferred his drivetrain into a whole new truck and laid down 1900+ in colorado this past weekend at the Gauntlet Challenge

Or did he put a new front clip on the one he crashed? Either way my point was, 2k hp... What for? Besides on the dyno. At whatever power level mine was at 800-1000 whatever, it's hard to keep it in a straight line sometimes!!!

I'm hit the ditch a couple times just trying to keep that thing on the road, couldn't imagine the struggle to keep 2khp between the lines would be!

Black AOD

Reaction score
Or did he put a new front clip on the one he crashed? Either way my point was, 2k hp... What for? Besides on the dyno. At whatever power level mine was at 800-1000 whatever, it's hard to keep it in a straight line sometimes!!!

I'm hit the ditch a couple times just trying to keep that thing on the road, couldn't imagine the struggle to keep 2khp between the lines would be!

True.

Its a whole new truck. His frame was f*cked on the old one. No question about that.

Kind

Reaction score

What for? Because it's fun lol. My 900hp was no fuss on the street and daily drove almost as nice as it did stock with a tune.

I think it comes down to how the entire truck is built. Some configurations are better suited and safer for big power then others. And some drivers are better suited and safer at operating big power on the street. Is 2000hp reasonable being daily driven?... No. But in the right hands it may be perfectly fine and still be safer then some people driving 200hp car.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score

For sure.. I've rolled into it a few times at a measly 750 and almost ended up on the wrong side of the road.

Everything always feels great until that split second when you can't figure out how the hell you got so sideways so fast!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.