6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
So 1037 with the correction factor? That's a little less lame when you say it that way! Hahaha thanks!!

Yah I actually made less HP on spray (770) which I have no explanation for! Haha

With your fuel and chargers, 1037 sounds totally realistic.

On the traction topic, my truck behaves very well on the street as long as I control my foot haha.. I've been daily driving it running errands a lot lately.

Where's your status at on your truck Dan? Haven't heard from you in awhile man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan

Reaction score
With your fuel and chargers, 1037 sounds totally realistic.

On the traction topic, my truck behaves very well on the street as long as I control my foot haha.. I've been daily driving it running errands a lot lately.

Where's your status at on your truck Dan? Haven't heard from you in awhile man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The status of my truck... Well...

I stole the GTX 4202 out of the box of parts that are in storage and put it on my LLY Duramax just for kicks! Haha I have a s467 to replace it on the Ford

So the engine is in a neat pile at extreme engine in Calgary AB... Where Curtis is doing some work. I have all the parts there, Pistons have been fitted etc etc, we are just waiting for the new billet oil pump back from his machine shop. This is going to be a neat oil pump that will be designed to flow more oil volume as well and not be a gay fag and break.

The goal is to achieve 100 psi oil pressure wot w/relief valve valve modification.

Other than that, it's just sitting there in the yard at my buddy's shop I was borrowing to work on it like a sad little guy! Haha

I'm expecting the engine soon, but with custom machine work, well we all know it can be a long drawn out process!!!

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Too much oil pressure can be just as detrimental as low oil pressure..

Guttering of the bearings starts to take place with hot high oil pressure.

Dan

Reaction score
Too much oil pressure can be just as detrimental as low oil pressure..

Guttering of the bearings starts to take place with hot high oil pressure.

Nice!

Well by the sounds of it there's no chance that my engine will ever hold up ever....

It's destined to always blow up...

Maybe I'll just have to go with confederate diesel round 2... That's the only engine that hasn't blown up...

morefuel

Reaction score
Didn't it this last time because of a total lack of oil pressure a couple times when the pumps broke? Seems like all you would need is a pump that didn't break.

Dan

Reaction score
Didn't it this last time because of a total lack of oil pressure a couple times when the pumps broke? Seems like all you would need is a pump that didn't break.

Yeah... And associated damaged parts.

Ok so the key to success is cool oil, high oil pressure but not too high that's bad.

So the industrial oil field/ power gen engines at work run 7-8 bar (100+psi) oil pressure at 200*F oil temp full load... I feel like this is my goal.

Spindrift

Reaction score
Yeah... And associated damaged parts.

Ok so the key to success is cool oil, high oil pressure but not too high that's bad.

So the industrial oil field/ power gen engines at work run 7-8 bar (100+psi) oil pressure at 200*F oil temp full load... I feel like this is my goal.

What ambient air temps do you have while seeing 200* oil temps at full load? Sounds way low to me.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm only posting this so others aren't grossly misled.

Your comparing Apples to cheese crackers wanting to use cooler oil temps and higher oil pressure on a MTU gen set compared to a 6.7l automotive engine.

Oil temps are designed to run in areas that give the best lubrication rate for weight of oil. An MTU is a giant POS that gets overhauled at half the interval of a quality branded and built engine.

Oil temps on a 6.7l are optimum at 200* or better. The viscosity and friction are much lower at higher temperatures. Pressure is designed to keep the molecules from cavitation at lower pressure. (Think how distorted the water is from a garden hose at high psi vs low psi)

If you want a higher viscosity engine oil without altering the cooling system then put 75w90 in the crank case!!! Lol.... your essentially doing that by cooling the oil by 40*F

Do some research on the subject of oil before going crazy with changes.

Otherwise run a 15w40 for high hp engines with 210*F oil. The viscosity is perfect regarding what engineers have deaigned.

A MTU needs high oil pressure because of substandard tolerances and extreme bearing wear from a poorly designed engine. It's literally a throw a way engine.

If I ever see a oil field application with an MTU I quietly laugh and get the duck tape out. Because that's all they are willing to pay for any repairs!

Now with that said. The larger concern is keeping the oil and coolant differential temperature close to each other.... food for thought.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
I'm only posting this so others aren't grossly misled.

Your comparing Apples to cheese crackers wanting to use cooler oil temps and higher oil pressure on a MTU gen set compared to a 6.7l automotive engine.

Oil temps are designed to run in areas that give the best lubrication rate for weight of oil. An MTU is a giant POS that gets overhauled at half the interval of a quality branded and built engine.

Oil temps on a 6.7l are optimum at 200* or better. The viscosity and friction are much lower at higher temperatures. Pressure is designed to keep the molecules from cavitation at lower pressure. (Think how distorted the water is from a garden hose at high psi vs low psi)

If you want a higher viscosity engine oil without altering the cooling system then put 75w90 in the crank case!!! Lol.... your essentially doing that by cooling the oil by 40*F

Do some research on the subject of oil before going crazy with changes.

Otherwise run a 15w40 for high hp engines with 210*F oil. The viscosity is perfect regarding what engineers have deaigned.

A MTU needs high oil pressure because of substandard tolerances and extreme bearing wear from a poorly designed engine. It's literally a throw a way engine.

If I ever see a oil field application with an MTU I quietly laugh and get the duck tape out. Because that's all they are willing to pay for any repairs!

Now with that said. The larger concern is keeping the oil and coolant differential temperature close to each other.... food for thought.
We've had very good luck with mtus in the coast guard. Using them for all the new boats it seems like.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

rentstdi

Reaction score
We've had very good luck with mtus in the coast guard. Using them for all the new boats it seems like.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

You have to remember something about the military and anything government. Everything goes into a contract and whoever is the cheapest wins. Does not matter what any technician/operator says. It's all down to the beancounters making that dicision.

Spindrift

Reaction score
You have to remember something about the military and anything government. Everything goes into a contract and whoever is the cheapest wins. Does not matter what any technician/operator says. It's all down to the beancounters making that dicision.

That's not the point. He said, based upon his experience, they've had good luck with the engine. Maybe the spec for a government MTU is different than it is for the street.

Latest posts

Members online