6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

swinky

Reaction score
You have to remember something about the military and anything government. Everything goes into a contract and whoever is the cheapest wins. Does not matter what any technician/operator says. It's all down to the beancounters making that dicision.
Okayy, my boat has 5 caterpillars on it. It's whatever is cheapest that will get the job done.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Jorts

Reaction score
Dunno - MTU's are getting dropped in the highest dollar sporties like Spencer, Viking, Hatteras, Bayliss. Money's no option with those boys....

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Dunno - MTU's are getting dropped in the highest dollar sporties like Spencer, Viking, Hatteras, Bayliss. Money's no option with those boys....

Still junk... throw away engine.

Not only are they throw away engines but they are also 10x more expensive to work on and take 50x longer to get parts for....

Coupled with poor quality and terrible design.

These are facts. Not opinions. Detroit Diesel is their distributor. Nuff said... lol

Software is extremely archaic and the main reason for them putting in sports boats is because there is still a large surplus of non-emissions mtu's sitting around with very simple stupid electronics that nobody supports filling warehouses that MTU/Detroit is pawning off on everyone.

There like Kirby vacuum salesman... they sell in the marine industry to a bunch of guys that build fancy boats and have no earthly idea what the power plant is other than a spec sheet. I've stood right in front of Sea Ray boat reps and witnessed that ideology at its finest! Lol.....

Last edited:

Notneb

Reaction score
I'm just going to put this here: you're comparing Marine applications to land, and that is just hilarious...

Lets not forget cooling is not an issue for marine applications unless you're in an area that water injection temps are above 80 degrees, and even then, unless you're running a very hot system *nuclear reactor* it's not going to make much difference.

Just for comparison we ran 12cyl Fairbanks and Morse for days on end with seawater injection temps around 87 degrees, and temps stayed fine.

You also have to figure MTU's in the CC boats don't get worked very hard at all. You CANNOT compare civilian applications to military. Yes military is lowest bidder, but they also have to deal with some of the dumbest people you'll ever meet operating them.
I've seen guys who didn't know what end of a screwdriver to turn, operate those boats. The military knows this, so they put things in place so that you never get close to the operation limits of machinery.

Dan

Reaction score
Still junk... throw away engine.

Not only are they throw away engines but they are also 10x more expensive to work on and take 50x longer to get parts for....

Coupled with poor quality and terrible design.

These are facts. Not opinions. Detroit Diesel is their distributor. Nuff said... lol

Software is extremely archaic and the main reason for them putting in sports boats is because there is still a large surplus of non-emissions mtu's sitting around with very simple stupid electronics that nobody supports filling warehouses that MTU/Detroit is pawning off on everyone.

There like Kirby vacuum salesman... they sell in the marine industry to a bunch of guys that build fancy boats and have no earthly idea what the power plant is other than a spec sheet. I've stood right in front of Sea Ray boat reps and witnessed that ideology at its finest! Lol.....

Quite a lot of hate on the MTUs! Haha

Ok so I won't disagree with you on the 2000 series MTUs, they aren't the end all be all, but I will throw a few facts in here from my experience with them in the oil sands.

Syncrude did a 3 year test truck program with 2 CATs, 2 Kamatsu (cummins) and 2 Liebherrs (MTU) and MTU is the only engine that did not fail before the benchmark engine replacement. Cats and cummins both failed engines prematurely. We squeezed 21000hrs (bench is 18000 for the 4000s in the mining application up here) out of L1. Impressive. Ok great... Oh and the tier 4i MTUs mean emissions with out after treatment. No ***, no urea, none of that. But either way who cares? It has nothing to do with my oil temps! Haha

So what your telling me is 20W50 at 175*F and 4500rpm is going to be a bad time? Haha

Dan

Reaction score
Please discuss

128874-873D-40BB-BCE7-579040C1AAFF.png_zps57ofdsqi.jpg

A8E8CD-6DFE-47C3-9DC9-4D7896725298.png_zpsgxxfwead.jpg

Reaction score
That's one way to keep oil pressure up...

How will that affect the oil pressure?

Ahhh That's a good way to keep the bearings from spinning.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

If you loose oil pressure, your going to trash the bearing regardless if it is pinned or not. If the crank is physically hitting the bearing that pin doesn't do anything.

It is what it is, but the bearing is spinning from the lack of bearing crush or oil lack of pressure. If you don't fix the one that is causing the failures, then you will just have roached bearings with sweet oval holes in them and dowels that are mushroomed by the crank. But they may not be spun....

Maybe this will be the one. Good luck Dan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have been saying this ^^^^^ for years and completely agree with Morgan. If you're having to go through major steps to keep a bearing in place beyond typical bearing crush, you have a much larger issue on your hands. If the crank just kisses the bearing and stops riding on the oil, no amount of reinforcement to the bearing is going to be the answer. If you're having to hold the bearing in place while the crank is welding itself to it, it's already game over.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have been saying this ^^^^^ for years and completely agree with Morgan. If you're having to go through major steps to keep a bearing in place beyond typical bearing crush, you have a much larger issue on your hands. If the crank just kisses the bearing and stops riding on the oil, no amount of reinforcement to the bearing is going to be the answer. If you're having to hold the bearing in place while the crank is welding itself to it, it's already game over.

sometimes i find myself welded to my crank .

Dan

Reaction score
How will that affect the oil pressure?

If you loose oil pressure, your going to trash the bearing regardless if it is pinned or not. If the crank is physically hitting the bearing that pin doesn't do anything.

It is what it is, but the bearing is spinning from the lack of bearing crush or oil lack of pressure. If you don't fix the one that is causing the failures, then you will just have roached bearings with sweet oval holes in them and dowels that are mushroomed by the crank. But they may not be spun....

Maybe this will be the one. Good luck Dan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, this isn't to solve the lack of oil pressure... I'm sure you'll like the oil pump setup that is designed to solve that once it's done...

This is just another step that is taken to maybe make the difference if it's on the verge of spinning... I agree that the oil pump breaking and no oil pressure is the cause of failure on this latest engine, but as a precautionary measure... I introduce to you... The pinned bearings.

I've been telling everyone "this is the last engine, it'll work this time" for the past few engines but this time I'm serious. This is the last one. And the idea behind all this is to keep it in the truck for a good while.

What other ideas do you folks have here while I'm in this thing? Lots of bright people on here, let's hear em!

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, this isn't to solve the lack of oil pressure... I'm sure you'll like the oil pump setup that is designed to solve that once it's done...

This is just another step that is taken to maybe make the difference if it's on the verge of spinning... I agree that the oil pump breaking and no oil pressure is the cause of failure on this latest engine, but as a precautionary measure... I introduce to you... The pinned bearings.

I've been telling everyone "this is the last engine, it'll work this time" for the past few engines but this time I'm serious. This is the last one. And the idea behind all this is to keep it in the truck for a good while.

What other ideas do you folks have here while I'm in this thing? Lots of bright people on here, let's hear em!
Cummins swap 😂😂😂😂 I'd say you are on the right track with a upgraded oil pump and pinning the bearings. Definitely oil pressure and temperature gauges with alarms if you don't have that already.

Latest posts

Members online