6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

MorganY

Reaction score
The helical gears used in the powerstrokes don't wear. Gear engineering has come a long way in 30 years. Power transmission engineers have them refined. Their lifecycle will be longer than all other wearable components in the engine with proper lubrication and endplay.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Took me seeing everything in person to figure out exactly what was going on, but we got it figured out this go around.

I'd love to wait for main studs but I won't for two reasons. 1) Waiting blows 2) the issue was never with the main bearings despite what i was lead to believe so main studs are irrelivent.

This is the engine that tadd shipped out unassembled.

driver operation, nitrous, fan shrouds cooling system crank flex etc etc all that stuff that fingers were pointed at have nothing to do with my cause of failure. And that's all I'm saying about that.

Got the same amount of run time out of this engine as the last one 2 days or so.

This time it'll last longer

Why not say what the reason for the failure is/was?

How do you post a picture of your iPad on here?? Thanks

Why whould we want to see a picture of your iPad? Don't they all look the same.LOL

Default15405

Reaction score
I disagree.

Also, please, can anyone prove to me or anyone else here the actual quantitative strength added by main studs? I have yet to see any of the factory 6 bolt mains stretch. And contrary to popular belief, main studs do NOT make an engine block stronger.

But no one in this forum can actually prove that the cranks flex or that the main stretched. Because they most likely didn't.

Could you elaborate more on how main studs dont add strength or structural rigidity to the block? Thats the first time ive heard that so im curious.

Also, are you saying the crank doesnt flex or that crank flex is not causing the issue...just trying to clear this up. Thanks

Reaction score
Could you elaborate more on how main studs dont add strength or structural rigidity to the block? Thats the first time ive heard that so im curious.

How would adding main studs make the block structurally stronger? Your not adding material to the block. In fact it puts more stress on the block, and distorts the main bores.

The only reason for main studs is if you are having cap walk and/or lifting the main caps off the block. Which neither are happening..

Also, are you saying the crank doesnt flex or that crank flex is not causing the issue...just trying to clear this up. Thanks

The crank doesn't flex. But, then again that's my argument vs everyone's theory. If the crank actually flexed then main bearings would be going out. NOT rod bearings.

Could the block be flexing? Sure. As cheap as ford made the 6.7 block it wouldn't surprise me.

I guess dealing with block flex, split blocks, 2 bolt, 4 bolt, girdles etc in the gas world broke me from the thinking of the "it's just gotta be better" mentality.

So until someone can show any proof of cap walk or main bolts stretching (which they can't), I think I'll just stick with what I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne

Reaction score

I know you asked Morgan, but perhaps I'll give my $.02 anyway, then he can elaborate or correct me. All a stud will do is clamp harder than a bolt. If caps are moving due to the block flexing under high torque applications, then they should make it harder for that to happen. It hasn't been happening on anything of Dan's I've seen. Definitely not on the stock, and near stock stuff I see regularly at the stealership. So if caps aren't moving now, going to studs won't make a difference. Going to studs will do nothing to improve rigidity of the block if the block itself is flexing, but the caps are staying put. As far as "crank flex" is concerned, it's probably a sloppy explanation of block flex potentially causing the crank to get bound in there when it flexes, making the main journals no longer line up. To control block flex, it needs reinforcing material to hold them all together, such as a girdle or bedplate. I m not hating on anyone by any means because I see nothing wrong with a good main stud. I'd like to see failures first where the caps move to personally justify the expense, but again, nothi g wrong with stronger parts. The crank on the 6.7's is actually pretty stout. Main journal diameter is about the same as on a 6.0, and rods are a larger diameter. I'll post a pic in a minute comparing the two. Anyway, I just don't see broken cranks now job 1 manufacturing flaws are a thing of the past, and rare at that.

Wayne

Reaction score
:tree:
Tree'd while typing my novel LOL here's 6.0 vs. 6.7 cranks
IMG_20150304_190504_857.jpg

Last edited:

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Ok so somewhere i missed something because I keep reading about crank flex and rods. So did somebody spill the beans on what the hell happened and i am just over looking it?

Wayne

Reaction score
I will mention that I did have my machinist try to straighten Dan's crank after the motor I assembled went boom. They saw it and figured no problem. They/ve apparently done worse. Well, it was .020" out of true, and the 20 ton press they have only got it within .016". And no, the main caps didn't move, when it locked up, nor did the main bearings fail.