6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

Joe@Ideal

Reaction score
As one commented. They rebuild every pass. The high load of a 800 hp diesel compared to a 8000hp small block is a bit different. They are not worried about piston jets cooling the cylinder walls either. AND there clearance tolerances are alittle bigger to accommodate for such high weight oil and the extreme heat they run. Where we are worried about 250*F. They are seeing in excess of 350*F fast and In a hurry. So there oil is getting close to a flash point if they don't knock it off soon. 70w oil at 350-400*F Flows like water.

The engine design from a drag car to this 6.7L isn't a fair comparison at all.

I was thinking the mechanics of rod and main bearing lubrication was a direct comparison. If other oiling considerations in a diesel engine limit your options than so be it. I dunno.

Forget the top fuel comparison. Why does Ford require my Shelby to run 5w-50 but a dedicated drag truck under much more stress would be fine with 0w-30? If it is as you said, "Thick oil provides much less protection in high speed moving parts than thin oil. Thin oil is leaving the designed space between the bearing and journal with enough room to allow the nicely heated oil molecules to roll properly", why does everything in the racing world seem to be the opposite logic regarding oils?

Reaction score
I don't know that heavy oil is used in competition like you think.

I run 10w-30 in my pull truck. We use oil heaters to get it hot before a run too.

Used to run a 0w-40 in our big modified gas pullers.

Most "good" circle track, nascar etc.. use very thin oil as well.

Thin oil makes less friction, less parasitic loss, more fluid lubricity, easier on cold starts etc.

A properly configured oiling system will work best with a lighter oil at temperature.

The people using heavy oil always run an oil heater or they would wipe out engines left and right.

Those top fuel guys don't leave the line at 10,500 rpm with 80* straight 70wt in their crankcase. It's 200+ degrees and flows pretty decent. They run such heavy weight oils because a top fuel motor runs "sacrificial" bearings. Which means they are designed to wipe away during a run in order to not damage the crank shaft. That's why they replace them every pass, there is no break in, they use super soft bearings and heavy, hot oil. That way they can make a pass and be relatively safe from bottom end damage at 8000hp and 10000+ RPMs. It's not the mode efficient oil strategy, but it's all they can do to keep them together. Not a recipe for longevity. And totally the opposite of what you want in a daily driver.

We no longer use 15-40 in anything at our shop. It's all semi-syn 10-30. Works great in heui's too..

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I don't know that heavy oil is used in competition like you think.

I run 10w-30 in my pull truck. We use oil heaters to get it hot before a run too.

Used to run a 0w-40 in our big modified gas pullers.

Most "good" circle track, nascar etc.. use very thin oil as well.

Thin oil makes less friction, less parasitic loss, more fluid lubricity, easier on cold starts etc.

A properly configured oiling system will work best with a lighter oil at temperature.

The people using heavy oil always run an oil heater or they would wipe out engines left and right.

Those top fuel guys don't leave the line at 10,500 rpm with 80* straight 70wt in their crankcase. It's 200+ degrees and flows pretty decent. They run such heavy weight oils because a top fuel motor runs "sacrificial" bearings. Which means they are designed to wipe away during a run in order to not damage the crank shaft. That's why they replace them every pass, there is no break in, they use super soft bearings and heavy, hot oil. That way they can make a pass and be relatively safe from bottom end damage at 8000hp and 10000+ RPMs. It's not the mode efficient oil strategy, but it's all they can do to keep them together. Not a recipe for longevity. And totally the opposite of what you want in a daily driver.

We no longer use 15-40 in anything at our shop. It's all semi-syn 10-30. Works great in heui's too..

We have switched our entire 800+ machine fleet of new and used machines to 10w-30 with great results. Our oil samples are coming back better than before even in the summer time. I run it in my 6.7 as well all year round.

mattmal9

Reaction score
We have switched our entire 800+ machine fleet of new and used machines to 10w-30 with great results. Our oil samples are coming back better than before even in the summer time. I run it in my 6.7 as well all year round.

You don't need a 40w and 5w-30 diesel oil isn't readily available or cheap. 10w-30 is a better option than 15w-40.

What brand of 10w-30 oil do you guys prefer or buy most often? I've been using RotellaT Synthetic 5w-40 since I've purchased this truck, is that gonna cause any premature damage? The truck is just my daily driver, towing a car trailer a couple times a month and I rarely ever hot rod the truck so it doesn't see much abuse. But, I live in MD so as long as the oil is good for hot summer temperatures through the cold winter months, I'll switch next oil change if you guys are finding its a better oil for these engines. I don't have much knowledge about what oil is best, I was just told that the Synth. 5w-40 would be a good oil to use. Sorry this is off topic, but just curious as to what you guys think?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
What brand of 10w-30 oil do you guys prefer or buy most often? I've been using RotellaT Synthetic 5w-40 since I've purchased this truck, is that gonna cause any premature damage? The truck is just my daily driver, towing a car trailer a couple times a month and I rarely ever hot rod the truck so it doesn't see much abuse. But, I live in MD so as long as the oil is good for hot summer temperatures through the cold winter months, I'll switch next oil change if you guys are finding its a better oil for these engines. I don't have much knowledge about what oil is best, I was just told that the Synth. 5w-40 would be a good oil to use. Sorry this is off topic, but just curious as to what you guys think?

Delo 10w30.
$13.99/gallon at a parts store near you!

Wayne

Reaction score
On a stock 6.7 engine, 15w-40 is only rated safe to 20*F. 5 or 0w-40 have the best ambient temp coverage. Once the engine is warm, it's irrelevant though. There's an oil temp range chart in your owner's manual.

Dzchey21

Reaction score

I run whatever comes out of our bulk tanks LOL

I think ours is DELO

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.