7.3 cut out while driving won't restart

mustube

Reaction score
I was driving the truck down a city road at about 45 just cruising and it died. Won't restart in any tune, I have rpms on the tach while cranking and I have fuel spraying out of the fuel bowl if I open the water drain valve and turn key on. Hpop reservoir is full and my obd dongle and torque app shows 80 psi from the hpop and the IPR climbs and maxes out at 74.2 % duty cycle while cranking. The tin nut on the ipr valve is on and tight. I'm guessing hpop but is there a way I can rule out the IPR?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

mustube

Reaction score
No hpo leaks externally on the motor either. Valley was dry until I checked for fuel pressure.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Try unplugging the ICP sensor.

WTS light on/off like normal? Tach moving when you crank it?

Sounds like the IPR crapped out on you. Try tapping it a few times with something hard.

Voltage while cranking?

mustube

Reaction score
Tach moves, so its not CPS. Unplugged ICP sensor with no change. Will check fuses and ebp sensor.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Well if you're only getting 80psi....only things it can be (without a leak) are either IPR or HPOP correct?

Anyone else?

Maybe double-check the wiring to/from the IPR/ICP.

mustube

Reaction score
I'll try to clean mine tonight. I don't really want to pay 170 for a parts store brand IPR just to see if that's what's wrong if I can help it.

Bushwakd

Reaction score
What if the IDM crapped out. Would he still have RPM while cranking but no voltage to the injectors to fire it up?
Without further diagnostics it is a guessing game.
Need to get it scanned to see what faults have occurred.

Several years ago my IDM died on me half way through an intersection and left me setting in the middle of the road. Had it towed home, got it scanned and no IDM communication was discovered. Replaced it and was good to go.
Can't remember if I had RPM while cranking or not.

Last edited:

mustube

Reaction score
Yeah but I'm showing 80 psi on the hpop. Injectors won't fire at that psi. I have no cel but I'll scan it to see if anything pops up. I have been noticing slightly longer cranks on startup but the truck has been running really well.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I know with 6 blown upper oil o rings and twin pumps most I could see was 265-280 range.... no external leaks...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mustube

Reaction score
Wiring looks fine besides old loom tape hanging off. I just put a new IPR in and it builds pressure to 200 psi now but that's it. I guess its hpop time.

Latest posts

Members online