7.3 questions

oneturboforme

Reaction score
to be 100% honest i read these build threads ect and i get all confused,
first off the 200/200 injectors for example from what i gathered first number is cc second is % over. the percent over is easy to understand but what is the cc purpose

also i see a lot of parts for the 99-03 7.3 i am looking at a 97 obs truck what is the difference? just fitment correct? i mean as far as injectors internals ect they should be the same right?

thanks

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
first off the 200/200 injectors for example from what i gathered first number is cc second is % over. the percent over is easy to understand but what is the cc purpose

also i see a lot of parts for the 99-03 7.3 i am looking at a 97 obs truck what is the difference? just fitment correct? i mean as far as injectors internals ect they should be the same right?

thanks

CC's=how much fuel they can hold and push out per event.
OBS trucks have a different exhaust/ turbo setup due to different body style and no intercooler.
Injectors are NOT the same. 94.5-97 had single shots, 99-03 have split shots. Look up injector codes for the different years of powerstrokes.
As for making research easier, cut it up. Fuel system, exhaust/turbo, intake, etc., for the different years. There is also a lot of info in the west point section on modifications...

CSIPSD

Reaction score

thanks

A 200/200 injector would be capable of 200cc per 1000 shots. The nozzle is 200% larger then the stock nozzle.

The injectors are the same as far as a modified injector, however most 94.5 to 97 truck came with AA or AO injectors (90cc per 1000) which were single shots. Quite a few 96 and 97 trucks came with AB injectors (120cc per 1000) which were split shots.

Superdutys came with AB (E99) and AD injectors (140cc per 1000 shots 99.5-2003)

CC's=how much fuel they can hold and push out per event.
OBS trucks have a different exhaust/ turbo setup due to different body style and no intercooler.
Injectors are NOT the same. 94.5-97 had single shots, 99-03 have split shots. Look up injector codes for the different years of powerstrokes.
As for making research easier, cut it up. Fuel system, exhaust/turbo, intake, etc., for the different years. There is also a lot of info in the west point section on modifications...

Please dont post things you do not understand, or even give out the proper information...

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Still. Not all 96-97 obs injectors are split shot.
You can't just go to a dealership without the vin and say I need an injector. They will ask for your vin to match what the factory put in.

And mixing injectors with different codes wouldn't be a good idea.
Edit: Plenty of people have moved out of California... Wonder why those trucks were found elsewhere?

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Still. Not all 96-97 obs injectors are split shot.
You can't just go to a dealership without the vin and say I need an injector. They will ask for your vin to match what the factory put in.

And mixing injectors with different codes wouldn't be a good idea.
Edit: Plenty of people have moved out of California... Wonder why those trucks were found elsewhere?

Who said anything about mixing codes?

The guy is talking about 200/200 injectors...

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
AO injector? What the hell is that?

I would trust matt at gearhead (read link).

Lots of trucks were sold in California and driven elsewhere and sold again. I misread csipsds statement thinking that he stated those years only came with split shots. And I think they were talking trucks as a basic guideline...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
AO injector? What the hell is that?

I would trust matt at gearhead (read link).

Lots of trucks were sold in California and driven elsewhere and sold again. I misread csipsds statement thinking that he stated those years only came with split shots. And I think they were talking trucks as a basic guideline...

Just shut up and read for a while...

Good lord man, your not the end all be all google guy...

This was written by a friend of mine a few years ago...

Larger nozzles- By installing larger nozzles you are makeing the nozzles less restrictive so that more fuel will flow out of them with everything else being the same. Stock injectors with stock programming and larger nozzles will get more fuel out and make more power. Stock injectors only modified to have more fuel capacity with stock nozzles and stock programing will run exactly like stock injectors. In this case the only way to get more fuel out is with a chip to extend the open time of the injector and/or increase the Injection Control Pressure (ICP) to push more fuel out the nozzle. On the same note if you say make a hybrid (installing a larger 7mm plunger and barrel out of a DT466/I530E injector) and leaving the intensifier piston the same will effectively reduce your injection pressure. This less injection pressure will make less pressure at the nozzle and will actually flow less fuel with a stock nozzle than a bone stock injector. So to get the fuel out without a chip you would need larger nozzles.

There is also a point where the stock nozzle just wont flow enough fuel to get the desired amount out in a realisitic time frame. That's why high capacity injectors require larger nozzles to use that capacity.

Codes- All powerstroke and T444Es come with A code injectors. A code injectors have a 6.0mm plunger and a 16mm intensifier piston. What this does is multiply the ICP so that injection pressure is adiquate but not having to have huge amounts of ICP like say in the 20,000 psi range. This difference give you approximately a 7:1 difference and therefore increases your injection pressure 7 psi for every 1 psi of ICP.

All DT466s and I530E injectors are B codes. Of those some DT466s and all I530Es have a 7.1mm plunger, hense more fuel per mm of stroke, with a 17.5mm intensifier piston. This gives you approximately a 6:1 ratio. So no it will not have quite as high of ICP as as the A codes but it's not as bad as it could be. However due to the larger intensifier piston they reqire much more high pressure oil to make the piston stroke the same distance. This is why you need a high pressure oil system with a higher capacity.

Hybrid injectors are taking the 7.1mm plunger and barrel out of a BD code I530E injector and installing it into an A code injector with a 16mm intensifier piston. As you could imagine the down fall is that the injection ratio is dropped to approximatly 5:1 further decreasing injection pressure. However with the smaller intensifier piston it requires no more oil than an equivilant A code yet it flows the same amount of fuel as a B code. The result is much more fuel capacity without the need for more high pressure oil volume.

A codes and B codes can be further broken down as well.

AO and AA injectors came in the '94-'97 non-california trucks. They are all 90cc injectors and are single shots.

AB injectors came in the '97 cali, and all early '99 trucks. They are split shot injectors meaning they fire a small pilot shot before the main shot. These injectors flow 130-135cc of fuel.

AC injectors are found in the high torque version of the T444E and do not come in any Powerstrokes. They have the same internals as the AB injectors with the exception of the single shot plunger and barrel. However due to them being single shot injectors they flow 160cc. This is due to the way the split shots work. They have a small passage that opens, much like a port in a two stroke engine, that are uncovered that bypass the injection pressure out the side of the barrel instead of out the end through the nozzle. Because of this pause a portion of the travel of the plunger does nothing for injecting fuel so a split shot injects less fuel for the same amount of travel as a single shot.

AD injectors are also split shot but flow 135-140cc of fuel due to a slightly longer plunger stroke. These are found in all late '99-'03 Powerstrokes and T444Es.

AE and AF injectors are essentially the same as AD injectors but were called a long lead injector that was used as an attempt to cure a "cackle" issue many people complained about.

BA, BB, and BC injectors are essentiall all the same and are the same as AC injectors but are found in some DT466s.

BD injectors are the only B codes with the larger 7.1mm plunger and barrel that are single shot injectors. These are the injectors people are usually talking about when they are talking about putting I530E injectors in their Powerstrokes.

BE injectors are essentially the same as the AD injectors but found in some '97-'99 DT466s.

EF, BG, BI, BJ, BN and BP injectors all have basicly the same capacity and are split shots. However the nozzles vary on them depending on application. They can be found in many DT466s and I530Es.

-GTS "hotwheels"

CSIPSD

Reaction score
well I guess mixing them is a horrible idea then

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

You could mix AB and AD injectors if you needed to for a short time, there close enough I doubt you would even notice.

Also, just as a note to our whitey friend...

The injector Codes on the top of the solenoids means nothing once the injectors have been modded...

I have 3 AD's, 4 AA's and one AB codes solenoids... There all 230/100 injectors.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
You could mix AB and AD injectors if you needed to for a short time, there close enough I doubt you would even notice.

Also, just as a note to our whitey friend...

The injector Codes on the top of the solenoids means nothing once the injectors have been modded...

I have 3 AD's, 4 AA's and one AB codes solenoids... There all 230/100 injectors.

It does when they're stock...that^^^ I couldn't care about because aftermarkets are warrantied...

Latest posts

Members online