7.3 Sucking noise under light throttle

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
Hi guys,
My '00 7.3 is making a sucking noise when under partial throttle. When I 1st start the truck, it won't make the noise til it goes into high idle. Then you can hear it start to suck (the noise almost sounds like it's coming out the exhaust pipe). It will make the sucking noise on and off (1 second on, 1 second off, in a steady pattern) until the truck warms up. At that point, the sucking noise will be continuous. When driving the truck, it will make this noise once I touch the throttle (takes about a second to start after throttle, and starts quiet and gets louder, as if a valve is opening over 2 seconds time) until I either accelerate hard or get about 1500rpm.

The noise sounds like it's coming from the left, rear side of the engine bay (as looking at it). It's not my intake, nor my tune. Doesn't sound anything like an exhaust leak. I would think turbo but it boosts well and doesn't throw any codes.

One thing that was suggested to me was a leaky waste gate, which I'm going to replace anyway. But I still wanted to see what you all have to say.

Thanks!
AJ

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
It's your exhaust back pressure valve. It puts a load in the engine to assist with warm up.
Alright, that would explain it during high idle. But what about once it's warmed up? It will make the noise all the time while I drive, not just when it's cold.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Alright, that would explain it during high idle. But what about once it's warmed up? It will make the noise all the time while I drive, not just when it's cold.
Mine modulates the ebpv for a good while when ambient temps are low. It definitly does it till its at an oil temp of at least 130 to 140. Do you have a way to monitor oil temps?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
Mine modulates the ebpv for a good while when ambient temps are low. It definitly does it till its at an oil temp of at least 130 to 140. Do you have a way to monitor oil temps?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
No I do not, not yet at least

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dmd

Reaction score
What are the temps the truck is in? I mean if you are in CA it could be a problem, if
you are in ND then you have a few more months of this.

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
What are the temps the truck is in? I mean if you are in CA it could be a problem, if
you are in ND then you have a few more months of this.
I live in NEPA, right now it is 5°F outside. I bought the truck in Sept, noticed this noise about a month later

T_rider_0013

Reaction score
Mine does that exact same thing I was told to take off the pipe from the ebp sensor to the passenger manifold and run some throttle cable threw it and put your drill on one end and turn very slow. Check for holes or cracks first. Than clean the the little hole on the manifold. They can very clogged I did this on my truck and it runs and idles a lot better. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
Mine does that exact same thing I was told to take off the pipe from the ebp sensor to the passenger manifold and run some throttle cable threw it and put your drill on one end and turn very slow. Check for holes or cracks first. Than clean the the little hole on the manifold. They can very clogged I did this on my truck and it runs and idles a lot better. Hope this helps.

So I'm cleaning the pipe that I removed and the hole where it goes into th manifold?

Can anyone else confirm this will help?

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
You can also just unplug the ebpv Solenoid. That will stop it from coming on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Being new to the Powerstroke (diesel in general), I'm not sure what that solenoid even does. Could you explain?

79jasper

Reaction score
The Solenoid is the "controller" to the ebpv. It redirects oil pressure to force the valve closed.
The ebpv is supposed to help warmup, but many don't see a difference by unplugging it.

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
The Solenoid is the "controller" to the ebpv. It redirects oil pressure to force the valve closed.
The ebpv is supposed to help warmup, but many don't see a difference by unplugging it.

So I see that I could purchase a "******" part for it. What benefit does the "******" give me over just unplugging (besides the obvious fact that there's less stuff clogging my exhaust)?

If I were just to unplug it, is the engine still going to pump oil into it, and would it still leak oil if it already does (which I have no idea, but w/ 224k I can probably assume it is)?

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
Apparently that's a bad word o_O

I can purchase a part that removes the butterfly, etc. ^^

79jasper

Reaction score
The derete and non-ebpv pedestal completely gets rid of it.
You can diy it, but if I were to do it again, I would just buy it.

So maybe a slight reduction in EGT'S. About all you'll gain.

T_rider_0013

Reaction score
Some people I have talked to about this when it happened to mine... they also said you can disconnect the plug on air box which apparently will break circuit to the ebpv. I'm pretty sure if you unplug off the ebpv on the turbo pedestal it can throw a soft code but the truck will run like it should. I haven't had any issue with just unplugging the sensor on the air box

dsberman94

Reaction score
Normal. It stays on until 15% throttle and the truck will keep using it under 15% until the oil temp hits 142.

Latest posts

Members online