7.3 with m444e injectors

Reaction score
So I discovered today that navistar had a version of the 7.3 for a marine application under the star powr brand named the m444e. These engines were supposedly rated at 300-310 hp. My question is a) hypothetically speaking, could you run m444e injectors in a 7.3 psd? And b) where could you find these suckers. I'm assuming they would probably be comparable injectors to 160/30's but wondering if maybe they'd be a tad bit more affordable. I figure with a gtp-38r or s366 and proper tuning you could make close in the 300 range assuming you're running big air and big exhaust.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
So I discovered today that navistar had a version of the 7.3 for a marine application under the star powr brand named the m444e. These engines were supposedly rated at 300-310 hp. My question is a) hypothetically speaking, could you run m444e injectors in a 7.3 psd? And b) where could you find these suckers. I'm assuming they would probably be comparable injectors to 160/30's but wondering if maybe they'd be a tad bit more affordable. I figure with a gtp-38r or s366 and proper tuning you could make close in the 300 range assuming you're running big air and big exhaust.

Mercury had a marine version of the 7.3, pretty sure this is the engine you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQAoiPsOgio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM-konr4KNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBDpzb5lp5A

golfer

Reaction score

a stock AD injector (what's in your truck right now) will easily do 300+rwhp (not crank hp like the marine engine...so, not sure what advantage(s) you're trying to glean from the marine engine.

Keep in mind that a marine engine has nearly unlimited cooling from WATER to xxxx coolers (including ATW intercooler in this application)...so running sustained 'high' power with 70+/- deg water chilling evvvvverything bolted to the engine can make a pretty big difference in sustaining/making a higher number than a stock E or F-series of similar year.

there was only one injector nozzle (7 holes, ea approx .0065") for any 1994.5-2003, 7.3L engine...regardless of if it were in an International t444e, F-series, E-series, marine, or other application...though plunger & barrels (single shot or split shot) and other internal components varied across applications. The nozzle was a constant.

The 300hp engine was available, starting in late 1999...so...no real guess as to which injector that could have been.

the engine was also labeled/sold as MERCRUISER DIESEL 7.3L D-TRONIC

catchy name!

Reaction score
I understand that added cooling could make a fairly large horsepower difference, but my train of thought is that these engines would've been dynoed off the water so the cooling should really make no difference to these numbers. At the end of the day what I'm trying to get at is to see if there is a cheaper way to get to 400hp then the typical 160/80 sticks, gtp-38r stealth etc... build for someone on a high-school budget. The more i look into it the more it seems that this isn't possible. I guess I'll have to wait a couple more years for these numbers then.

mandkole

Reaction score
I certainly remember the struggle to go fast in high school. We worked all summer to afford a set of headers, carb/intake and cam to get 75-80hp. For your dollar, a chip/intake/exhaust is similar money then focus on maintenance.

With decent reman injector basically starting at $1000/set, its not a starter performance mod and expensive for a lot of guys. it'll come.

Reaction score
Ya, that's what I'm thinking. I'm already running php tunes. Need an exhaust and intake yet but between school, harvest, fall tillage, bringing cows home, maintaining equipment, fixing equipment, processing cows my truck never seems to top the list very often.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
I was in your shoes not too long ago, I understand the want/need. That being said, if you're running PHP without an exhaust or intake, your missing out on a good chunk of usable power with your stock sticks. Let your engine breath and you'll be amazed at the power you haven't seen yet. My vote is get yourself an intake, exhaust and gauges, if you haven't got those already.

97stoker350

Reaction score
Little friendly advice... If 1000$ injectors are expensive for you youre not ready for the HP game. Ask me how I know. And 2, don't dick with the HP game when u rely on ur truck for anything more than a toy. Again ask me how I know.

Jomax

Reaction score
I was in your shoes not too long ago, I understand the want/need. That being said, if you're running PHP without an exhaust or intake, your missing out on a good chunk of usable power with your stock sticks. Let your engine breath and you'll be amazed at the power you haven't seen yet. My vote is get yourself an intake, exhaust and gauges, if you haven't got those already.

I haven't noticed a difference with a 4in exhaust vs stock.

My moms X has a 80hp tune, AIS intake, and stock exhaust down to the muffler. Thing runs as good as a truck with an intake and exhaust if not better.

Being you're on a limited budget. Is your trans stock? Putting more power then you have now will make the trans go out fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Exhaust may help a little on the egt side? Maybe? And I agree with what was said about the hp game. It's not cheap and you really need to do it right in order to make I live. Get some supporting mods and do your maintanence

Reaction score
The exhaust I'm hoping to drop some back pressure, drop egt's and give it some nice tone. The biggest thing I need to add is a 6637. As for joining the hp game, I wan't planning on going bigger for a few more years ($15k build list) but if there was a much more affordable way to do it while still maintaining reliability. This is why I asked here before going and doing something stupid like buying a set. I see now that that is not the case so I'll stick with my stock sticks and turbo for now then.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The exhaust I'm hoping to drop some back pressure, drop egt's and give it some nice tone. The biggest thing I need to add is a 6637. As for joining the hp game, I wan't planning on going bigger for a few more years ($15k build list) but if there was a much more affordable way to do it while still maintaining reliability. This is why I asked here before going and doing something stupid like buying a set. I see now that that is not the case so I'll stick with my stock sticks and turbo for now then.

You dont need a 6637...

The stock intake flows enough for 160's in reality...

Latest posts

Members online