700 hp goal build

thatdude

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Getting my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering

How do you have enough time and money to be playing around with trucks? Shouldn't you be in class, or studying?

I was broker than **** in college. Worse years of my life.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Every other semester I Co-op or intern, work extra hours/weekends with my dad, and then either mow yards/plow driveways. Sorry college isn't terrible for everyone.

This build has been going on for almost a year now. Well actually longer, I already had a couple parts and I got a lot of the parts for like half price just hunting hard enough. I also plan on selling stuff from the truck to reimburse myself.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Every other semester I Co-op or intern, work extra hours/weekends with my dad, and then either mow yards/plow driveways. Sorry college isn't terrible for everyone.

This build has been going on for almost a year now. Well actually longer, I already had a couple parts and I got a lot of the parts for like half price just hunting hard enough. I also plan on selling stuff from the truck to reimburse myself.
I was just getting ready to call that. When I was in engineering school, I got an internship every summer. We also had an non profit engineering consulting company run by the students. I got paid $15 an hour and all of the work was done down at the school. I did this during the fall and spring semesters and made a fair amount of money.

My brother did a co-op with Honeywell while he was there and did the semester on semester off program and made good money. Dupont also does this a lot. I have worked with a lot of Dupont co-op students at my lab over the years.

I commend you for taking up a cool hobby while going through school. You will be that much further ahead than most of the other tool bags going through school, because of the hands on work you are doing. That's where our consulting company shined is through all of the fabricating and hands on stuff we did. Also a lot of analytical work and technical writing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Yeah I was always a hands on person growing up doing construction with my dad and helping out with the farm (small just had a couple cattle but there is always stuff to do on the farm). That's why I chose a school where I have to Co-op 5 times to graduate. I was going to Co-op with Honda but it was a desk job so I took a manufacturing co-op instead. I was able to work in an R&D department for a company that sells to Boeing, Winchester, Ford, Honda, etc.

I'm proud to say I made my own billet badges for this build.

Also I am really trying to have the truck done for Rudy's April 28th

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yeah I was always a hands on person growing up doing construction with my dad and helping out with the farm (small just had a couple cattle but there is always stuff to do on the farm). That's why I chose a school where I have to Co-op 5 times to graduate. I was going to Co-op with Honda but it was a desk job so I took a manufacturing co-op instead. I was able to work in an R&D department for a company that sells to Boeing, Winchester, Ford, Honda, etc.

That's awesome man. I had a co-op a few years ago that was a wrench turner. I really enjoyed working with him. Some of them have been as worthless as tits on a bull though.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to call that. When I was in engineering school, I got an internship every summer. We also had an non profit engineering consulting company run by the students. I got paid $15 an hour and all of the work was done down at the school. I did this during the fall and spring semesters and made a fair amount of money.

My brother did a co-op with Honeywell while he was there and did the semester on semester off program and made good money. Dupont also does this a lot. I have worked with a lot of Dupont co-op students at my lab over the years.

I commend you for taking up a cool hobby while going through school. You will be that much further ahead than most of the other tool bags going through school, because of the hands on work you are doing. That's where our consulting company shined is through all of the fabricating and hands on stuff we did. Also a lot of analytical work and technical writing.

Not to hijack the thread further, but DuPont has some great programs. If you ever get a chance to go out to Chesapeake Farms, their research Farm, definitely take it. I've been through a couple of their facilities and have always been impressed. Never did a co-op with them, but they've definitely invested some money in my field for training. They are currently going through some leadership changes that impact that side of things, but I've been very impressed with them over the last decade.... I'm sure it doesn't hurt that they try to recruit my students. LOL

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
Building what you want and going to school to do what you want... Living the dream :thumbsup:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread further, but DuPont has some great programs. If you ever get a chance to go out to Chesapeake Farms, their research Farm, definitely take it. I've been through a couple of their facilities and have always been impressed. Never did a co-op with them, but they've definitely invested some money in my field for training. They are currently going through some leadership changes that impact that side of things, but I've been very impressed with them over the last decade.... I'm sure it doesn't hurt that they try to recruit my students. LOL

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I know all about their merger with Dow and reorg bs. It has hurt us real bad over the past couple of years. The ag side of their business is something that we have never been able to get involved in. That being said, we just scored a nice contract with them last week. I'm hoping this is the beginning of something awesome like it used to be for us. If I ever.get the chance to check out Chesapeake Farm, I will most definitly take advantage Frank. Thanks for the info!

ja_cain

Reaction score
Building what you want and going to school to do what you want... Living the dream
Whs^!!!!

Op,

When your done with school, please reach out to me before you take a job. I have been wanting a good, hands on type of MechE for years. I would love to have you come by the lab. Also, if you are looking for a different kind internship next summer, please let me know.

Justin

*edit*

Good luck with the build!

Last edited:

powerjoke73

Reaction score
I was really nervous to start this thread since I am in school (21 though). Yes my father has helped out financial on this build but it has become just as much his dream as mine. I love the idea of someone letting there guard down because it will be just "an old slow 7.3." My real goal is to swap this motor and trans into the truck my grandfather originally gave me (1989 f-250 idi). I have been lucky to have him this long and if anything were to happen I would immediately buy that truck and begin the swap.

Ja_cain you mind waiting until 2019 when I graduate because I would be very interested. Where is your lab? I'm always up for road trips.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I was really nervous to start this thread since I am in school (21 though). Yes my father has helped out financial on this build but it has become just as much his dream as mine. I love the idea of someone letting there guard down because it will be just "an old slow 7.3." My real goal is to swap this motor and trans into the truck my grandfather originally gave me (1989 f-250 idi). I have been lucky to have him this long and if anything were to happen I would immediately buy that truck and begin the swap.

Ja_cain you mind waiting until 2019 when I graduate because I would be very interested. Where is your lab? I'm always up for road trips.

Awesome info man! That's what family is for. Can't wait to see that 7.3 transplanted in that 89!

Richmond, VA. www.hrclab.com

*Edit*

Lol! I wasn't always a long haired hippie. Lmfao!!!

thatdude

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I wish I had mommy and daddy help me pay for all my toys. I was working full time, going to school full time (4 days a week, 10 hours a day), going to work, having to buy my own tools for said work, paying rent, fuel, food... Paid off now, but those years were far from easy. I couldn't dream of even owning a 7.3 back then.

Oh well, to each their own. You're very lucky.

emev0l

Reaction score
I wish I had mommy and daddy help me pay for all my toys. I was working full time, going to school full time (4 days a week, 10 hours a day), going to work, having to buy my own tools for said work, paying rent, fuel, food... Paid off now, but those years were far from easy. I couldn't dream of even owning a 7.3 back then.

Oh well, to each their own. You're very lucky.

You need to grow up, he's a nice guy who works for what he has, I had the pleasure of meeting him and his dad, good hard working people, grow up.

thatdude

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You need to grow up, he's a nice guy who works for what he has, I had the pleasure of meeting him and his dad, good hard working people, grow up.

I'm just saying that I don't comprehend how he has so much disposable income being a full time college student. Maybe that means I need to grow up, oh well. I just don't understand it. Sorry. My 6 figure income isn't from my social skills.

sootie

Reaction score
I'm just saying that I don't comprehend how he has so much disposable income being a full time college student. Maybe that means I need to grow up, oh well. I just don't understand it. Sorry. My 6 figure income isn't from my social skills.

Quit being a dik in every thread you post in...

psduser1

Reaction score

I'm getting the impression that you are great at what you do, trouble is no one knows what that is...
Years of experience building high horsepower 7.3s? or 6.0s? or small bock Chevy?
No one gives a **** how much money you make, dude, and if you've got all the secrets on these old engines figured out, put up or shut up.
At least post up examples of your work. The original intent of the thread is for learning purposes and information,and your bragging isnt helping.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
exactly..

maybe his Daddy and mommy appreciate all the hard work he did/does for them when he can and isn't just handing over money to a spoiled brat..
Quit being a dik in every thread you post in...
thank you, took the words right outta my mouth..

I'm getting the impression that you are great at what you do, trouble is no one knows what that is...
Years of experience building high horsepower 7.3s? or 6.0s? or small bock Chevy?
No one gives a **** how much money you make, dude, and if you've got all the secrets on these old engines figured out, put up or shut up.
At least post up examples of your work. The original intent of the thread is for learning purposes and information,and your bragging isnt helping.

well said!!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

growing up in construction and on a farm at the same time is all I would need to know to hire you!!! farm boys that grew up earning their keep have very very good work ethics..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

uncool

Reaction score
To answer one of the OP questions, i have towed with an S476 300/200 combination.

Is it for everyone? No, and I will tell you no every time.
Can it be done with out melting down the engine? Yes but you sure as hell are not going to be towing 15K in OD at 1800 RPM.

Good luck on your build.

Latest posts

Members online