94-97 tuning thread.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Using an AE can i see if i need a boost fooler!?

Also would it be possible to need a boost fooler in some peoples tunes but not in other peoples tunes? Seems like ive got some files that like to hiccup in the upper RPM under a load, but it wont do it in other tuners files

ytee

Reaction score
Yes you can use AE to see if you need a fooler. hook it up and take someone to watch the AE and go drive. The AE and your mechanical boost gauge should be close to the same. Mine were really close until somewhere just over 30 psi and the map reading would drop to 2 or 3 psi and the engine would start missing.
It is possible that different tunes would work different, but I would think that would be dependent on the boost pressure.

Chris

Tom S

Reaction score
I wonder if the map sensor is what freaks out or if it is the pcm/tuning that does.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I ordered a fooler that should be here Thursday, hopefully that will negate all problems i may be getting.

Apparently even if you don throw a code, could still be defueling slightly! WIll be interesting to see how much of a difference this little gem will make

ytee

Reaction score
Tom, from the way Cale was telling me it was the MAP sensor.

Chris

black974door

Reaction score
I ordered a fooler that should be here Thursday, hopefully that will negate all problems i may be getting.

Apparently even if you don throw a code, could still be defueling slightly! WIll be interesting to see how much of a difference this little gem will make
mine would de-fuel and wouldnt throw a code. just felt the truck bucking at higher boost

ytee

Reaction score
Mine would throw a code if you checked them but would not give you a check engine light.

Chris

Tom S

Reaction score
I only have a 17 deg pump so I think that is pretty good. I know some have good luck with higher ICP and some with lower.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I only have a 17 deg pump so I think that is pretty good. I know some have good luck with higher ICP and some with lower.

Yeah ive ran some pretty high numbers... Sadly the only thing ive got to back it up is SOTP feel and the amount of smoke coming out the tail pipe.
Wish i had a dyno locally that i could tune on to see the differences

Dieselfever

Reaction score
It has been know for some times about the overboost problems, some don't have them, some set a soft code and there is a rare occasion some even set a CEL.

I run an ITP on my '97 and it runs fine, I switched to a dieselsite one time and it made the truck run just like you pulled the chip out or similar. Normally it would make 45+ psi of boost, but with the blow off style fooler it seemed to make it stop at 30. I don't know what the difference was that made it run so much worse, I figured it was something in how it was seeing MAP pressure affecting the fueling.

Getting back to the different PCMs of the same code running different in different trucks, Some will call me crazy but I have sworn for years that even a single PCM in a truck will run differently from key cycle to key cycle. Out of all of the OBS trucks I have owned they all have seemed to have times where they would run ok in general but sometimes the seem to run acceptionally well or bad And that all can change in the same day.

-Michael

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
It has been know for some times about the overboost problems, some don't have them, some set a soft code and there is a rare occasion some even set a CEL.

I run an ITP on my '97 and it runs fine, I switched to a dieselsite one time and it made the truck run just like you pulled the chip out or similar. Normally it would make 45+ psi of boost, but with the blow off style fooler it seemed to make it stop at 30. I don't know what the difference was that made it run so much worse, I figured it was something in how it was seeing MAP pressure affecting the fueling.

Getting back to the different PCMs of the same code running different in different trucks, Some will call me crazy but I have sworn for years that even a single PCM in a truck will run differently from key cycle to key cycle. Out of all of the OBS trucks I have owned they all have seemed to have times where they would run ok in general but sometimes the seem to run acceptionally well or bad And that all can change in the same day.

-Michael

I have definitely seen the same thing! I agree with you on key cycles changing things, Im going to swap PCM here shortly to try that theory out!
I also am running the dieselsite boost fooler now and it didn't change a damn thing with how the truck runs. The map see like 20psi max i believe. No more defuels though which is nice

Latest posts

Members online