97 7.3 engine swap or not...

RR570

Reaction score
So my question here is, should I swap the motor and all associated parts in engine bay plus(fuel tanks,lines and dash/harness)from my 96 7.3 2wd into my 97 460 4door 4x4 or should I put basically all my 97 460 interior,front doors, bed and back window in the 7.3. I was thinking that swapping the stuff from the gasser might be faster for the time being and that I would just run the truck 2wd until I had time to swap all the lift and 4wd components. Opinions please, I think that would help make my decision easier. Thanks in advance dave

SmokeyFreedom

Reaction score
Cab swap basically. Move the 7.3/shenanigans over with cab off. Done a elect swap from 1/2 ton gasser to 7.3... id burn it to the ground and collect the insurance check before doing half that **** again. Keep cab together. Moving motor/tanks/ wiring on same basic years wouldnt be that hard but needs a 2 post hoist to go airborne twice.

Option 2: 4 wheel conversion. It sucks. Could do the Sky Manufacturing kit and use a super duty axle on a reversed shackle. gives a 4" lift and rides like a Cadillac

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FORD-FSRSDAL-004

wadeclinton

Reaction score
Option 2: 4 wheel conversion. It sucks. Could do the Sky Manufacturing kit and use a super duty axle on a reversed shackle. gives a 4" lift and rides like a Cadillac

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FORD-FSRSDAL-004

This. My brother and I did a 4x4 conversion to a clean ex-cab 2wd we got a deal on. We used a PMF RSK and not a sky. With both trucks side by side and tools(torch,grinder,welder) it's not that bad of a project. You can find the thread over on PSN.

Rico

Reaction score
My 97 460 was more reliable but driving a diesel is so much more entertaining. Four doors are dope!

RR570

Reaction score
Sorry so long to get back on here. Working like he'll. Just started the swap last week. I have about 30hrs in I have both motors out and the diesel inside harness out. Gonna pull the gasser interior Tom and put the harness and dash back together. Hopefully have it cranking on Saturday.

Latest posts

Members online