A1000/AD150 Question

windrunner408

Reaction score
So I think I am going to replace my factory fuel pump with an A1000 so I can flow LOTs of fuel to my injectors. This past Saturday, when my truck was on the dyno, my fuel pressure at 64psi at idle would drop to 50psi at WOT. I realize that this may not constitute absolutely needing an A1000 but my question is, if I do go this route, do I have to change out all of my lines from the tank to the motor?? Or can I just use the lines that came with the AD150 to connect to the A1000 and then just run new lines from it to the motor?? I am thinking that since the AD150 already supplies 150gph and the A1000 only flows about 95gph (significantly less than the AD150) that the 1/2in line from the AD150 will be just fine.

If I have to change out the lines, what size pipe threads go into the AD150??

09stroker

Reaction score
The A1000 will outflow an airdog hands down. Aeromotive states 5/8 lines from tank to pump, pump to regulator and 1/2 lines from reg back to tank with the length we have to run. That's what I would do or atleast try to be as close to that. Don't want to unnessessarily stress the pump.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
As long as you have the AD150 pickup installed in the tank (or a sump) and you have a true 1/2" line from the tank to the AD150 and from the AD150 to the A1000, it will probably be fine.

That said, there are 2 things to keep in mind.

1. Aeromotive specifies 5/8" minimum for that pump. IF the AD150 stops running (blown fuse, failed pump, whatever), the 1/2" line (particularly with the restriction of both AD filters) may cause that pump to work too hard. You would not want to run it long that way.

2. If you do have a problem with the pump, Aeromotive may not warranty it with less than 5/8" line feeding it.

If it were mine, I'd upgrade to 5/8" line. I've got an AD150 in my race truck, with 5/8" in and out, feeding my Fuelab pump. That's the smallest I would run for either of those.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Got it. Those are GREAT points Dennis. Thank you. Can you tell me what size the pipe threads are on the fittings of the AD150??

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Sorry, meant to type that. 3/8 pipe.

BTW, your signature doesn't mention a regulated return. If you're still using the stock setup, even with the "blue spring", don't assume that you need more pump. The stock setup sucks, and the blue spring is a bandaid at best. I still don't recommend big aftermarket pumps like the A1000 or Fuelab for daily driven trucks where high reliability is a concern. If you can get the system right and support those 190s with the stock pump, it will be more relilable...and easier to repair if you have a failure while on the road away from home.

Mdub707

Reaction score

BTW, your signature doesn't mention a regulated return. If you're still using the stock setup, even with the "blue spring", don't assume that you need more pump. The stock setup sucks, and the blue spring is a bandaid at best. I still don't recommend big aftermarket pumps like the A1000 or Fuelab for daily driven trucks where high reliability is a concern. If you can get the system right and support those 190s with the stock pump, it will be more relilable...and easier to repair if you have a failure while on the road away from home.

Would you suggest something like an AD150 feeding the stocker at that point? Reliability would be a big concern for me, and I've been looking at the fuelabs/A1000 pumps... not sure which way to go.

01PSD

Reaction score
So you're saying you need an AD with the Aeromotive pump? I was unaware of that if so..

I thought the Aeromotive would just replace the stocker and everything be fine.

windrunner408

Reaction score

No worries. Thank you.

Fuel system is as follows: sump to AD150 to stock fuel pump to a y-block to the front of the heads with 90* fittings to your RR coming off the back and to the Fuelab regulator and then back to the tank. Currently the line coming from the stock fuel pump is 3/8in and just splits into two 3/8in lines that go to the front of the heads. I plan to use 1/2in line that splits to 3/8in lines.

windrunner408

Reaction score
So you're saying you need an AD with the Aeromotive pump? I was unaware of that if so..

I wouldnt say it is "needed" but since I already have an AD150 and would like a little higher fuel pressure at WOT, I figured I would add an A1000 to the system.

01PSD

Reaction score
I wouldnt say it is "needed" but since I already have an AD150 and would like a little higher fuel pressure at WOT, I figured I would add an A1000 to the system.

So for the most part I suppose it helps with reliability and longevity of the stock pump/A1000?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

dont do that

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score

NOT "necessary" but certainly helps the situation. Takes the work off whatever big pump you run and lets the low pressure AD do that work. Also gives you the extra filtration and air removal.

Would you suggest something like an AD150 feeding the stocker at that point? Reliability would be a big concern for me, and I've been looking at the fuelabs/A1000 pumps... not sure which way to go.
AD100 or 150 (depending on needs) feeding the stock pump is a great setup for the same reasons I mentioned above with regard to the larger pumps too.

No worries. Thank you.

Fuel system is as follows: sump to AD150 to stock fuel pump to a y-block to the front of the heads with 90* fittings to your RR coming off the back and to the Fuelab regulator and then back to the tank. Currently the line coming from the stock fuel pump is 3/8in and just splits into two 3/8in lines that go to the front of the heads. I plan to use 1/2in line that splits to 3/8in lines.
Shouldn't need to go to 1/2" feeding the Y. Won't hurt, but shouldn't be needed. Feeding 400s in my race 7.3L with 3/8" hose from the pump forward.

I'm actually surprised you're seeing the pressure drop you are with your setup. We've had pretty good luck feeding 190s with the stock pump and a RR kit. Every set of injectors and tuning is different though. Could also be something with your pump (age, filter, etc).

Absolutely! No reason not to use it!

So for the most part I suppose it helps with reliability and longevity of the stock pump/A1000?
Yes.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yes. It helps remove the strain that the A1000 (or stock or whatever high pressure pump is there) has of lifting the fuel out of the tank (even with a sump). There are a lot of guys who run the A1000 by itself just fine but as Aeromotive states that they need 5/8in line feeding it, they also state the pump needs either a lift pump to feed it OR a sump where the discharge of the sump is HIGHER than the suction of the pump.

When two pumps are used, both work together to do the entire job of lifting and pumping. The A1000 will help the AD150 lift the fuel from the tank to a certain extent but the AD150 will be having more of the lifting load placed on it, and the AD150 will help the A1000 pump the fuel to the motor to a certain extent but the vast majority of the pumping load is on the A1000. This way the total load is shared by two pumps and not solely placed on just one. This is how I see it anyways. Hope it makes sense.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Shouldn't need to go to 1/2" feeding the Y. Won't hurt, but shouldn't be needed. Feeding 400s in my race 7.3L with 3/8" hose from the pump forward.

I'm actually surprised you're seeing the pressure drop you are with your setup. We've had pretty good luck feeding 190s with the stock pump and a RR kit. Every set of injectors and tuning is different though. Could also be something with your pump (age, filter, etc).

Ok that's good to know. Thanks.

I am sure my pump is probably on it's way out. It has 90k on it and is 6 years old so I dont know.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I have 5/8 from sump to low pressure FASS(or airdog150), then 5/8 out of that feeding fuelab, then 1/2 out going into Y-block(where Dennis is running 3/8 line), then two 3/8 lines each going into the front of each head. Dennis and i are running nearly same setup, but only difference is he's running an airdog and he's running a 3/8 line from fuelab to Y where i'm running a 1/2 line. I love the concept of a low pressure system feeding a bigger pump.

Agjake11

Reaction score
Didnt see it in here yet but the threads on the A1000 are -10ORB.

my truck has been running great with just the A1000 so far and had no pressure drop at all with it. this is running sump with 5/8" to the pump and then 1/2" to the post pump filter and 3/8" to the t and heads with 3/8" return line.

windrunner408

Reaction score
So what about wiring up this A1000?? I know it should probably have a separate wiring harness from the OEM pigtail but I am just curious what folks have done. I have heard of some making their own. Others getting a Painless Wiring universal pump relay kit. And others running the strictly diesel kit. I am mostly interested in making my own if it can be done quick and all the stuff can be had at the autoparts store.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Im using a jegs fuel pump relay wiring kit on my fuelab, ran the same wiring with the a1000. Very easy install.

Agjake11

Reaction score
bought some wire, terminals relay and circuit breaker and then PSE went at it. its fairly simple and we decided to use the acc for the relay from the oem pigtail so the inertia switch is still being used for a crash. this is the same way the stritly diesel harness is wired

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.