ABS light

Strokersace

Reaction score
So I put all new front brakes on a 2wd dually recently. New rotors, new pads, new calipers, slide pins, etc. I also had the vac pump lines undone from the vacuum booster as well. Got the brakes bled, all new fluid in, and the vac lines hooked back up, however, the ABS light is always on in the truck now.

It's an auto and the speedo is working fine so I know it's not the VSS in the rear axle. The cruise works fine, so I know it's not the "recall" sensor on the end of the master cylinder. No codes on the scangauge cause ABS codes don't show up on them.

Like I said, fluid is new and full. All front brake components are new.

ANY IDEAS???:confused:

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i was told you have to reset it because the sensor saw low fluid when you bleed it. now it will stay on. id unhook the batterys and see if it comes back. this hasnt happened to me but thats what i was told

Strokersace

Reaction score
I was wondering bout that. Had the batteries unhooked but that was before I bled them. I'll disconnect them, let it set for 20 minutes or so, and see what happens.

Thanks!

co04cobra

Reaction score
Shouldnt have to reset anything bleeding them. ABS system when in working order will clear its self. Probably bumped one of the front sensors when doing brakes, a rear abs sensor, or the pump. Those are the common failures with the system. Get the codes read and post back it will be easy to tell. And yes it could still be the rear speed sensor and your speedo, cruise, etc.. Will work fine.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Found the issue. The truck had a cluster in it from a 97 and the elctronic grids are a little different between the 97 and the earlier powerstrokes. It was setting the abs light because of the difference. It was the only issue at all with swapping the cluster. So we swapped the gauges back into the original cluster housing and all works as it should.

Learned something new working on this pickup. You can put a 97 cluster into a 94.5 to 96, but it'll set the ABS light.

Strokersace

Reaction score
ccarrier - please read my post #5 right above yours...

And if it was the rear ABS/VSS sensor the speedo would have not worked properly and it wouldn't have shifted right. But it's all fine now.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Learned something new working on this pickup. You can put a 97 cluster into a 94.5 to 96, but it'll set the ABS light.

I hate to say I told you so, but I TOLD YOU SO! :poke::D
FWIW, the part number on the cluster "housing" (not sure what to call it... the white part) was the same from both my 96 and 97. I think 94.5-95 are the same.

Latest posts

Members online