Airplane project inside

sickslow

Reaction score
As awesome as it would be to see a 7.3 or any diesel for that matter in a plane I don't think it would work because your increasing the weight of the nose 2 or 3 times. A new Cessna grand caravans motor produces 650 bhp but only weighs 300-450 pounds. I'm not trying to talk down or say its never gonna happen I'm just pointing out some of the hurdles that would have to be overcome and providing some input.

But if your looking for a good starter plane to learn in a 172 would be perfect. Thats what my dad started out with.

I was thinking the same thing.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
As awesome as it would be to see a 7.3 or any diesel for that matter in a plane I don't think it would work because your increasing the weight of the nose 2 or 3 times. A new Cessna grand caravans motor produces 650 bhp but only weighs 300-450 pounds. I'm not trying to talk down or say its never gonna happen I'm just pointing out some of the hurdles that would have to be overcome and providing some input.

But if your looking for a good starter plane to learn in a 172 would be perfect. Thats what my dad started out with.

wonder if I took the 7.3 to 1200bhp and counter balanced the tail to make it work out? Honestly, can you imagine people at the airport seeing a 7.3 fly down the strip?? Impressive

extreme3807

Reaction score
Do you have your pilots liscense yet? I have a cessna for sale right now for 18.5k. A good upgrade is a pipe, and i have one for 39K. By the time you figure in pilots liscense, physicals, and the plane itself it adds up quick. Never seen a 7.3 in one though, be cool as hell!

JDub

Reaction score
Does the FAA have required engine specs? They might make you equip it with a functional DPF emission system, can't imagine they'll appreciate the smoke.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Do you have your pilots liscense yet? I have a cessna for sale right now for 18.5k. A good upgrade is a pipe, and i have one for 39K. By the time you figure in pilots liscense, physicals, and the plane itself it adds up quick. Never seen a 7.3 in one though, be cool as hell!

Is a license mandatory? I just figured it was like a motorcycle or something where you got a permit and it was up to a certain amount of months before you actually had to get licensed

Think the smoke would be bad up at 10,000 feet with a 7.3? Might have to compensate with nitrous more then I intended. Im not trying to be up there writing smoke messages

extreme3807

Reaction score
You would need to have the plane certified and inspected by a FAA rep and the plane needs weighed and documented in a weight and balance book. I highly doubt a FAA rep would allow a 7.3, im not sure though. Normally any major overhaul you make has to be documented in your logbooks and then inspected

You do need a pilots liscense to fly into controlled airspace. At this point just to get the liscense you are looking at 17K, depending on your instructor fees, numerous hours of studying, and months to complete it, also depending on your instructor.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Find an engine dyno, crank that bitch up to 1200 horsepower, and start applying a vacuum to the room. That way you can tune your nitrous for different altitudes.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
You would need to have the plane certified and inspected by a FAA rep and the plane needs weighed and documented in a weight and balance book. I highly doubt a FAA rep would allow a 7.3, im not sure though. Normally any major overhaul you make has to be documented in your logbooks and then inspected

You do need a pilots liscense to fly into controlled airspace. At this point just to get the liscense you are looking at 17K, depending on your instructor fees, numerous hours of studying, and months to complete it, also depending on your instructor.

I'll just fly privately then

Find an engine dyno, crank that bitch up to 1200 horsepower, and start applying a vacuum to the room. That way you can tune your nitrous for different altitudes.

Good idea!

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
ez-rocket-13.jpg

Mid engine design takes care of the weight distribution issue.

Quad turbo setup with intakes and exhaust stacks coming out behind the cabin, quieter for passengers and no smoke in your face while flying.

Depending on the RPM needed at the prop, choice of trans behind the engine.

Leave a small, easily opened access panel for that emergency CPS change (wrench on a chain just inside the panel).

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
The 7.3 displacement makes up for the advantages of turbine motors. This is a great idea!

sickslow

Reaction score
The power to weight ratio and also the center of gravity could both be countered but what could not be countered is the surface load of the wings. An airplane has a given amount of lift generated at various speeds. The planes are designed to supply a sufficient amount of lift at a given speed in order to keep the airplane in the air. After adding so much weight in the front with the motor and weight in the back to counter balance the engine the airplane would have to fly at twice the speed in order to provide sufficient lift to keep it in the air. Structural integrity at this speed would be an issue and landing it would be like trying to throw a rock on wheels down a hallway.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
The power to weight ratio and also the center of gravity could both be countered but what could not be countered is the surface load of the wings. An airplane has a given amount of lift generated at various speeds. The planes are designed to supply a sufficient amount of lift at a given speed in order to keep the airplane in the air. After adding so much weight in the front with the motor and weight in the back to counter balance the engine the airplane would have to fly at twice the speed in order to provide sufficient lift to keep it in the air. Structural integrity at this speed would be an issue and landing it would be like trying to throw a rock on wheels down a hallway.

Thats why its getting a 7.3

Latest posts

Members online