Another 6.4 down.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Well I dug into it a little more and found the very rear rocker arm wasn't moving so I'm guessing now I have a collapsed lifter and possibly a wipped cam.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Well that can be good and bad news... There are SOME of the lifters that can be changed without pulling the heads... It's not easy but is possible, and once the lifter is out you could roll the engine over with a wrench to inspect the cam lobe... might get lucky and throw a couple new lifters and rocker set in and head on down the road.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
I'm about to just have anew motor done and put Delliped pistons in and be done. The bad part is these new lifters only have about 10k miles on them.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Well I got the truck all back together and back on the road after a lifter **** the bed and wiped my can out . Besides a few little bugs to correct all went well using a new ford short block and it was running awsome.

Then 280 miles into this it starts knocking and smoking like hell throwing a no.8 cyl contribution and balance code. So now I'm back to tearing into it. I'm hoping maybe an I jector went bad this time and didn't destroy a piston.

08Monster

Reaction score
Mine doesn't knock. But I have bad blow by and it smokes like a mofo. Yay 6.4s. Lol

golfer

Reaction score
Then 280 miles into this it starts knocking and smoking like hell throwing a no.8 cyl contribution and balance code. So now I'm back to tearing into it. I'm hoping maybe an I jector went bad this time and didn't destroy a piston.

probably didn't get an injector seated down all the way into the cup...

check for carbon on the nozzle body (above the nozzle crush/sealing washer)..

78f100

Reaction score
Injector is in and seated good. But there's also metal in the oil filter so I think it's internal

Dang man I hate to hear this. I'm sure you know but there is gonna be metal in the filter on a new engine. Shouldn't be excessive but more than normal, how bad is it?

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Dang man I hate to hear this. I'm sure you know but there is gonna be metal in the filter on a new engine. Shouldn't be excessive but more than normal, how bad is it?

It's nothing like when my lifter broke and wiped the cam on my old motor but it's still pretty obvious it's tjere. The knock and smoke is what I can't figure out. It sounds like there's a midget with a sledge hammer inside the motor lol.

sootie

Reaction score
how bad is the metal in the filter? all new motors have some for the first couple service intervals. it is like little flecks and small slivers-not chunks tho

golfer

Reaction score
Would it knock terribly. I have a vid just can't up load it

yes, horribly...annnd white smoke

if the injector is seated (copper washer seated/crushed)...then the next most likely culprit would be the nozzle on the inj itself (dribbling fuel into the cylinder alllll the time).

Latest posts

Members online