Another puke thread

Irontx

Reaction score
Oh its liable to "fix" it all right.

On a serious note. Run a T into your coolant return. 12 foot of 3/8 hose and a pressure gauge. Run the hose out the front then back up to the cab. Take her for a spin. Put a good load on it at operating temp. Should hang out around 4-6 psi. If your holding at 16ish. Problems!!! They sell a test at napa that will pick up exhaust gas in your coolant tank. Shouldnt be any in there. Let ya know if its just overheating or getting superheated with combustion gas.

SaNnDnSurF

Reaction score
Got the truck looked at today the mechanic said my fan Is not coming on when it should be, hes going to look into replacing the fan clutch. He checked the ect vs eot as well.

Last edited:

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You should have done what jeese said do and check the pressure. Or it could be the thermostat i hate those things! As for the fan not coming on,,,why would it? My trucks not lifted like yours but the fan sure never comes one when i run the dog crap outta it.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
if it stays at an inch below the line and holds constant, you got yourself a new min. line, congradulations! Every truck wants it's coolant level diff. than the next one. I'd still let him do the cooler if he's willing to eat the cost though...

Bean told me a while ago that all of the 6.0 heads came from the factory warped, aka the tolerances they used on decking were not tight enough. Not saying that it will def. cause an issue, but the more hp you're putting through it, the tighter they need to be to avoid issues.

SaNnDnSurF

Reaction score
Well hell I really hope thats not it, I will check them with the gauge. He told me the fan wasn't kicking in soon enough and boiling the coolant said the coolant temp got up to 230 before the fan turned on then it dropped after that.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What I'm saying is WHY would it get that hot...blown HG. And probably your fan as well.

justintimemoto

Reaction score
i know when my head gaskets were bad my fan kicked on constantly. i did not have gauges then, but now i have them and the fan kicks on between 203-205 give or take a few degrees

Mdub707

Reaction score
My fan literally only comes on when I'm low on coolant IE, blown gaskest or egr cooler.

It was coming on this past weekend, went right to the dealer with it, coolant dripping everywhere! Nice.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Man, I hope it isn't a HG, but thats what it sounds like. If it is a HG, I hope your shop eats the cost and gets it fixed right.

Vizsla

Reaction score
My fan only kicked on towing 8k through WV(79) passing everythiny else like they were standing still, and once killin' it at the beach. Very brief, but totally in line with my temps. Other than that it never ran. My 6.4 fan runs on first morning start, and with the a/c, but never from road heat, no towing for that ride.

SaNnDnSurF

Reaction score
I'm tryin to find a pressure gauge, we replaced the fan clutch now he's saying the radiator needs cleaned and thermostat replaced. And yes I think it's the hg's again as well this is exactly how it was when they were fd up the first time!

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Best thing to do is get some of the coolant test strips that show exhaust gas in the coolant. You can get them at NAPA. Then test the coolant in front of your mechanic so theres no question. I've got some of the test strips ,if you'd like me to send you a few just PM me.

SaNnDnSurF

Reaction score
thanks for the offer, I'll pick some up this weekend I'm droppin the truck off again monday

Latest posts

Members online