B code v.s. Hybrid

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I build my trucks to drive and enjoy not brag about how much power my truck dynoed or what CC's my injectors flowed, 2 numbers that are meaningless when you are looking at taillights.

Funny thing is I dynoed once with Snow White and made IIRC 534 rwhp then proceeded to run a [email protected] with simple B codes, yet it took 400 Plus CC hybrids and 1000hp dyno to run 129:slap: the numbers don't quite add up do they:blah::blah::blah:

I agree with the first part.....

3 things about the second. It doesn't matter how fast you are going when you finish. First one there still wins, 2wd vs 4wd and weight.

Hell marty went 11.6 in a ccsb but only dynoed 509.....

TyCorr

Reaction score
Diesel power challenge???? It did but that was on spray which goes against what powerstroke racer implied about the dd single turbo setup as spray is not legal on the street.

And dunbars dyno seems to be the bench which all trucks are measured on in the diesel world. Not sure what kind of dyno it is though.

Could have been! I didnt know they televised it but it was a dyno, drag race, and sled pull competition from what I remember.

Charles

Reaction score
Just for fun...

Lets say I drive up and steal Jason's truck. (Thuglike)

I bring it home with me and promptly make 10 dyno pulls on my local dynojet 248 scoping and recording live pulsewidth, ICP and timing values for reference sake.

I then drive home, yank the injectors out of my red truck and stick them in his truck. I then without tuning anything, go straight back to the dyno and make 10 more pulls.

Right then and there, who here honestly thinks I lose power? Raise you hand?

Okay..... now.... I go back home and the next day I take my laptop with me and fine tune the ICP and pulsewidth for the hybrids. Having already scoped the timing I will not exceed whatever WOT values Jody has him at for various points like 2000, 2500, 3000 and 3500rpm lets say.

Now I go get back on the dyno and again make 10 pulls.

Now who honestly thinks I won't make yet again more power?

If so... you're CRAZY!

Charles

Reaction score
Charles, Thuglike has hybrids already.

I was never sure whether he was running B's or not, which was why I never commented on his truck in this thread until I was asked.

Even running hybrids, if he's only running 200 EDM's I'm confident I could pick up notable power with my old 300 nozzles and although I haven't had time yet on these 400's the flowbench data says they will pick up power too. Brian's pulls on dunbars make it seem likely as well.

If Jason's running B's then even more so. No matter what nozzle is on them.

Last edited:

jwlandry

Reaction score
I dont have a dog in this fight, but this thread does have some good reading

I do have a question though for David.

You keep saying "with parts that dont work". What do you mean by that? Honest question, not some smart ass question. Id really like to know what you mean.

Charles

Reaction score
250/200 Hybrids

I didn't change a thing except to go from 200's to 300 nozzles and picked up exactly 65rwhp uncorrected on the DJ. Did a little tuning for the nozzles and for the upper end and picked up just over 140rwhp uncorrected at 3500rpm when the truck pulled over 640rwhp uncorrected at 3450rpm.

Your truck has always been more efficient than mine. I think this is largely because I've run the timing very conservatively no matter what anybody says, lol.

If I dropped my charger and injector set into YOUR truck, I think we'd easily crest 800 on fuel, uncorrected on a DJ.

And you would shred your first trans when the compounds didn't miss a beat on the first full power 3-4 shift.

That or the main registers would exit stage left.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I would like to apologize for some of the stuff I posted in my "long" post. I was not thinking strait when i made that post. Then after word when I thought about it... I was like..you dummy!!! Then i got on here and Saw you Dummy. Just not in that many words. Sorry Guys.

HRT is the P&B on the far right a 9.00mm P&B???

smorris

Reaction score
I would like to apologize for some of the stuff I posted in my "long" post. I was not thinking strait when i made that post. Then after word when I thought about it... I was like..you dummy!!! Then i got on here and Saw you Dummy. Just not in that many words. Sorry Guys.

HRT is the P&B on the far right a 9.00mm P&B???

You big dummy! hahahahah

smorris

Reaction score
Jason, has anyone yet, actually measured, JUST the flow across the poppets, at different ICP values? I'm sure they have, but if not, that would be very useful info. I mean, if you know exactly how much flow you get across there at 2700-2800 psi with X viscosity oil, you should be able to figure where the line crosses where the lower vs higher hydraulic ratio starts to lose ground. And figure the perfect balance.
I mean , really this is a balancing act. Its not rocket science. If you idled around all day the reverse hybrid would be great. If you ran at 4500 rpm all day, then a super hybrid would likely be the crap. Theres gotta be a point where the lower ratio starts to lose ground. If you know the flow across the poppet, you could use that to figure cc per time needed for x amount of stroke in a useful timeframe.

But then, you are an engineer. I'm sure you got all that covered already.
Just asking.....:jammin:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!!!

David, just cuz you seem to read this a lot....where are the tunes for my truck? JAP has been trying for over a month now to get me some from you. 250/200 should be something youve got down with ease right?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Jason, has anyone yet, actually measured, JUST the flow across the poppets, at different ICP values? I'm sure they have, but if not, that would be very useful info. I mean, if you know exactly how much flow you get across there at 2700-2800 psi with X viscosity oil, you should be able to figure where the line crosses where the lower vs higher hydraulic ratio starts to lose ground. And figure the perfect balance.
I mean , really this is a balancing act. Its not rocket science. If you idled around all day the reverse hybrid would be great. If you ran at 4500 rpm all day, then a super hybrid would likely be the crap. Theres gotta be a point where the lower ratio starts to lose ground. If you know the flow across the poppet, you could use that to figure cc per time needed for x amount of stroke in a useful timeframe.

But then, you are an engineer. I'm sure you got all that covered already.
Just asking.....:jammin:

:thumbsup:

I'm not going to give out a whole lot of info at this point - but I have been working on these things since '08 to be 1K HP capable and daily drive able.... its all about finding that nice balance point like you mentioned - as well as knowing where and how to rewrite the operating parameters that govern the system.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
:thumbsup:

I'm not going to give out a whole lot of info at this point - but I have been working on these things since '08 to be 1K HP capable and daily drive able.... its all about finding that nice balance point like you mentioned - as well as knowing where and how to rewrite the operating parameters that govern the system.

Didn't somebody post some poppet flow numbers on PSN somewhere? I remember reading it in a thread somewhat similar to this one once upon a time.

I don't think the thread was related to reduced ratio injectors, just hybrids vs B codes.

And I didn't know you were shooting for a DD-able injector with these you've been working on... Pretty effin cool.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.