bed liner coating on valve covers

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
If it don't work, oh well. It wasn't really designed for this so I can't complain too much. If that happens and I liked how it did, I'll try another brand.

When I e-mailed them about the temp range, here's what they said.
The temperature range is -40 to +230 F. This has been tested in the past with some mixed results; some stuck and others didn't but it can all be attributed to the amount of ventilation as well as direct heat.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I have not even put them back on yet!!! LOL

I have to get the injectors back first!!

But I would like to see to how it does..

It should have no troble with flex.. Thince it is a rubber coating.. It is made to be a sound deadner

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
I have not even put them back on yet!!! LOL

I have to get the injectors back first!!

But I would like to see to how it does..

It should have no troble with flex.. Thince it is a rubber coating.. It is made to be a sound deadner

Temperature would be my biggest concern with that stuff.
Figure the water temp is approx 200, oil temp is probably 220-230. Then remember the covers are right above the exhaust manifolds, the up-pipes run right past them, and the RH side has the exhaust housing right over it, and 300+ deg F in spots would not be unreasonable I think.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Yea I know what you are saying.. I would like to see how it does.. They caim you can put it close to the exhaust just dont spray any on it..

But if anything else it would be a good test..

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Got them on last night. Photos are uploading now.
To give you an idea, I weighed the stock and coated valve covers. Stock RH was 39.10oz, coated RH was 51.20oz. Stock LH w/ CCV was 59.65oz, and coated LH with CCV (which also got coated) was 69.15oz.
I also have some sound clips I'll try to figure out how to get uploaded. May just put them in a video with captions. But that will have to wait for tonight.
Haven't really driven it yet to be able to get SPL readings.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
100_1124.jpg

100_1118.jpg

th_100_1126.jpg

th_100_1127.jpg

100_1131.jpg

100_1133.jpg

If you look carefully in the last picture, you'll see I cleaned out the area where the boplt heads go. I tried putting the bolts in with the liner still there, but it wouldn't torque down. The liner kept acting like a spring: I could tighten the bolt down, but it would loosen the bolt as soon as I let up on it. I suspect that is a characteristic of all the liner types. So I had to sit down with a utility knife and cut a sorta-circle and pry the liner donut out. Believe me, this liner is tough to cut.

Last edited:

03_PSD

Reaction score
great pics and videos. so whats the final verdict, well worth the effort?

also, dumb question but is there anything special to do, to take off and reinstall the valve covers? sealent or gasket?

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
great pics and videos. so whats the final verdict, well worth the effort?

also, dumb question but is there anything special to do, to take off and reinstall the valve covers? sealent or gasket?

I want to see how it sounds on the highway before I give my final verdict.
This morning I started it and it was quite a bit quieter. The clacking and clicking was GREATLY diminished. I wish I had a way to do frequency spectrum analysis to show it.
At startup the injector noise was about like it is when it's halfway warmed up. By the time I got to work the engine was about halfway warmed up, and injector noise was on par to a little quieter than when it's fully warmed up.

The VC gasket is a reusable one. So other than a few tools, nothing needed.

KPSquared

Reaction score
DO YOU HAVE ANY BIGGER PICTURES?!!! :p:p:p

Those look good. Has anyone thought of just trying the Duplicolor in the can? It's not as stout as some professional stuff, but its not terrible with proper prep.

Maybe I'll try this when I do my box this summer. Either going with U-Pol's Raptor Liner or Dupli-colors new Bed Armour. I'm just not sure about the heat.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the test Dan!!

Sounds like it made a differance to me.. I think I will put a thicker layer on my Valve cover after all. Yours are thicker then my coating.

Enjoy your new sounds LOL

Tom S

Reaction score
Dan is getting really high tech making us movies with titles and all. Nice

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Ok, I drove the three-odd hours up to some relatives for an Independence Day celebration, and this is sooooooooooo worth it.

At one point I was running 70mph and a 08-up SD pulled alongside as they passed, and I thought it was a PSD, but it was the gas truck. The light diesel sound I heard was ME!!

At another point I was driving RIGHT next to a barricade doing 60ish (barricade on my left), and it was just a light tapping.

I think I need to get less aggressive tires now, they're the loudest thing on my truck now on the highway.

Latest posts

Members online