Best bang for the buck traction bars?

m_j

Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bushing that deflects to stop bind. That would be a claim for an OUO bar.

What is the sole purpose of the leaf spring shackle then? Wouldn't all aft deflection be adjusted appropriately by deflection in the shackle? If not, why?

deflect = bind, its a restrained motion. any fixed bar added to the leaf spring system is an extra restrained making it an over restrained system.
leaf springs have enough bind in them without gluing another one in the mix.

shackle is to allow length changes in the spring as it deforms to allow travel.
as was stated many times, the fixed bar does not allow the spring to move in the path it needs to. so the bar bends the spring into an S shape when it travels.
eventually this will wreck something, but immediately it will change the spring rate.
the more you use compliant bushings to reduce the effect on the spring the less effective the bar will be at wrap control.

I am gonna read the pages I missed now and see where this thread went, this many pages it must be train wrecking.

JRLott

Reaction score
IMG_8540.jpg
Looks about the same to me.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
My truck is a pavement princess. Rarely sees dirt even though I live in the middle of rice land USA. Articulated trucks make me cringe and get a little sick!! Lol.

So back to some basics. I have zero interest in doing math on the subject at hand being there are already SME'S ON THIS FORUM for this subject.

Cons and pros of either brand: please keep it clean but would really like to have a decent answer as to why OUO is better or worse.

JRLott

Reaction score
That was October of last year. Just a hair over 9,000 miles. It's got 19,7xx on it now. I'm racking them up fast on this truck. LOL. I bought my '05 with 2,4xx in '05 and traded it in '15 with something like 102,xxx on it.

There's not an answer to your question, CAT. Pick your Koolaid and drink it. Both are fine products with reputations for exceptional quality. Again, Dodge/Chevy/Ford, 9/45, plastic/paper, tastes great/less filling... IMO, if you don't have access to a welder or don't trust your welds, grab a buddy and a case of beer and build some. If you do trust your welds and have a welder...grab a buddy and some beer and build some. Best bang for your buck and you won't have to be a party to stupid conversations about the "wrong" logo.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Just got off work, man this thread went down the toilet.... how did jeep pics make it in a traction bar thread? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Just got off work, man this thread went down the toilet.... how did jeep pics make it in a traction bar thread? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because we didn't have enough pics of extremely handsome men on the site.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
That was October of last year. Just a hair over 9,000 miles. It's got 19,7xx on it now. I'm racking them up fast on this truck. LOL. I bought my '05 with 2,4xx in '05 and traded it in '15 with something like 102,xxx on it.

There's not an answer to your question, CAT. Pick your Koolaid and drink it. Both are fine products with reputations for exceptional quality. Again, Dodge/Chevy/Ford, 9/45, plastic/paper, tastes great/less filling... IMO, if you don't have access to a welder or don't trust your welds, grab a buddy and a case of beer and build some. If you do trust your welds and have a welder...grab a buddy and some beer and build some. Best bang for your buck and you won't have to be a party to stupid conversations about the "wrong" logo.

Can I use square tubing?

In order: Ford, 45, paper (mom's husband works in a paper sack factory) less filling (I proved it works) lots of welders around me... cant even turn around without getting Roddenberry(I did not type roddenberry but ive never heard the word so im leaving it, shpuld have said rodded) Love my welds, but I don't do it for a loving either. German light beer (less filling high in fiber).

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
I think I-beam would look better. Weld it solid. Fvck articulation.

I like my 45s...and 40s...and don't feel one little bit undergunned with a 9mm. I like that we were killing the earth with paper bags, then plastic was the debil so we went back to paper, not the liberal ****holes have simply banned bags altogether. I figured you could weld and figured you couldn't turn around without tripping over a damn welder either. I can't remember the last time I had a Miller lite. Shiner Bock, Fat Tire, some local micro brews and alone Star Light are my go to beers...but I certainly enjoy a good German beer.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Took my truck out to my ditch and tried to twist it so one wheel would come up. It didn't. Used to be when it was stock I could get 1 wheel up and it would teeter. Today, it's planted. ???

I drove in and out of this several times with the door partially open, no funky noises while twisting it.

It's got 35" on 22", Icon springs, King shocks, Airlift bags, PMF Traction Bars and a Titan 50Gal tank.
20160922_082017Large.jpg

20160922_082043Large.jpg

Riding in it, one isn't likely to forget it's a 1ton truck, but for a 1ton truck it rides pretty nice.

Coueshunter

Reaction score
deflect = bind, its a restrained motion. any fixed bar added to the leaf spring system is an extra restrained making it an over restrained system.
leaf springs have enough bind in them without gluing another one in the mix.

shackle is to allow length changes in the spring as it deforms to allow travel.
as was stated many times, the fixed bar does not allow the spring to move in the path it needs to. so the bar bends the spring into an S shape when it travels.
eventually this will wreck something, but immediately it will change the spring rate.
the more you use compliant bushings to reduce the effect on the spring the less effective the bar will be at wrap control.

I am gonna read the pages I missed now and see where this thread went, this many pages it must be train wrecking.

When a spring compresses without a traction bar it grows forward and rearward of center. There is no shackle on the front of the leave spring. So when the suspension compresses the rearward half grows pushing the shackle rearward. The front half grows doing what? Pushing the axle center rearward. It cannot move the shackle without moving the centerline of the axle and leaf as the front half tif the leaf spring is fixed on both ends.

It's easy, without building a model to see that as the suspension compresses WITH NO TRACTION BARS the axle has to make a rear ward arc as axle center raises and pushes rear.

Now, let's add traction bars to this mix. The traction bar mounted at ride height would be at its shortest distance. As the suspension compresses the axle would be moving up and back. (We clarified this has to happen in order for the front spring to flatten out). Now, as you raise that traction bar from a downward angle to a horizontal plane (we know, it won't make a perfect horizontal plane) it will be at its longest point. Which means the natural movement of the traction bar would be moving slightly back of center as it is raised (suspension compressing)

So as the rear leaf spring follows its natural movement of moving up and back, the suspension with a traction bar will follow virtually the same path...

sootie

Reaction score
When a spring compresses without a traction bar it grows forward and rearward of center. There is no shackle on the front of the leave spring. So when the suspension compresses the rearward half grows pushing the shackle rearward. The front half grows doing what? Pushing the axle center rearward. It cannot move the shackle without moving the centerline of the axle and leaf as the front half tif the leaf spring is fixed on both ends.

It's easy, without building a model to see that as the suspension compresses WITH NO TRACTION BARS the axle has to make a rear ward arc as axle center raises and pushes rear.

Now, let's add traction bars to this mix. The traction bar mounted at ride height would be at its shortest distance. As the suspension compresses the axle would be moving up and back. (We clarified this has to happen in order for the front spring to flatten out). Now, as you raise that traction bar from a downward angle to a horizontal plane (we know, it won't make a perfect horizontal plane) it will be at its longest point. Which means the natural movement of the traction bar would be moving slightly back of center as it is raised (suspension compressing)

So as the rear leaf spring follows its natural movement of moving up and back, the suspension with a traction bar will follow virtually the same path...

that being the key word. it is not the exact same path.

Coueshunter

Reaction score
that being the key word. it is not the exact same path.

Really? What's the difference in length? Or is there a difference?

I didn't put identical path as I don't know.. but it would be VERY SIMPLE to make it follow the exact same path with the correct offset and length of bar. I would venture to bet that was thought about. There is a simple formula that can determine this as well.

morefuel

Reaction score
Really? What's the difference in length? Or is there a difference?

I didn't put identical path as I don't know.. but it would be VERY SIMPLE to make it follow the exact same path with the correct offset and length of bar. I would venture to bet that was thought about. There is a simple formula that can determine this as well.

I tried calculating out the length of bar needed and have heard someone else say, i cannot remember who or where, that the bar needs to be about 12 feet long, to nearly exactly follow the arc that the axle moves back when the spring compresses.

morefuel

Reaction score
I tried calculating out the length of bar needed and have heard someone else say, i cannot remember who or where, that the bar needs to be about 12 feet long, to nearly exactly follow the arc that the axle moves back when the spring compresses.

I am most likely wrong on the numbers but i had thought it was too long to be feasible.

NotStock

Reaction score
Took my truck out to my ditch and tried to twist it so one wheel would come up. It didn't. Used to be when it was stock I could get 1 wheel up and it would teeter. Today, it's planted. ???

I drove in and out of this several times with the door partially open, no funky noises while twisting it.

It's got 35" on 22", Icon springs, King shocks, Airlift bags, PMF Traction Bars and a Titan 50Gal tank.
20160922_082017Large.jpg

20160922_082043Large.jpg

Riding in it, one isn't likely to forget it's a 1ton truck, but for a 1ton truck it rides pretty nice.

Thank you!

Betarocker

Reaction score
Shed%2017March2016-Model_zpsjfa2wh8u.jpg

This is just a sketch. Upper picture is with a fixed length bar, lower picture is change of distance from a fixed point of unrestricted motion. Black is static resting position.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Y'all are really overthinking this curvature of the spring thing. Has anyone actually walked outside and looked at their truck? The arch in a stock spring is so small any rearward movement from compression is so small it's probably hard to actually measure.

Latest posts

Members online