Best way to clean No- Limit AFE filter

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
oiled are blue , dry are white , pg7 are gold .

they're all white material when cleaned.

the only difference between the blue and gold oil is the color

I've yet to see an independent study of K&N oil vs. AFE oil on the same filter, but the oil sure looks/feels the same, and, again, I've never had a problem using it. It's probably made at the same chemical plant.

Black AOD

Reaction score
while that's totally rational and makes the most sense, i do approve of said tannerite attacks .

See? Mike Approves lol

Why must every suggestion I get is to blow it up with tannerite LOL

Just got the cleaning kit all ordered. I got a spare truck to drive while the filter drives no need for the extra filter

Sorry dude, after my post in your aluminum tank thread I had to say some chit in here. I was originally kidding about blowing it up but now the guy who sells the damn kit and filter says he approves so maybe you should go for it! haha

WHY NOT

Reaction score
See? Mike Approves lol

Sorry dude, after my post in your aluminum tank thread I had to say some chit in here. I was originally kidding about blowing it up but now the guy who sells the damn kit and filter says he approves so maybe you should go for it! haha

If you buy me the new filter I can make it happen

stevens6.7

Reaction score
Anyone just use a dry filter and pre-filter?

I have a dry filter but didn't install the pre-filter but definitely will install it next time. I've been running this setup a little over a year now and the filter is somewhat dirty. Maybe close to replacement time but I'll have to take a closer look at it.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
pre-filter hurts flow a little, but for a daily driver, it really helps to keep things clean. a lot of times I'll just pull and clean the outerwear screen and not touch the main filter.

I like the look of black pre-filters, but lighter color outerwears are easier to tell when you've got them clean

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
pre-filter hurts flow a little, but for a daily driver, it really helps to keep things clean. a lot of times I'll just pull and clean the outerwear screen and not touch the main filter.

I like the look of black pre-filters, but lighter color outerwears are easier to tell when you've got them clean

pre filter hurts nothing on our stuff, because the flow is so much more than needed . i dyno with my prefilter on always, and have NEVER seen any power loss , thats even on my 6.7 . i run the dry with a pre filter and the filter seems to stay brand new looking forver , but i dont put a lot of miles on either truck though .

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
yeah, the No Limit filter is gargantuan! So the outerwear isn't "hurting". But it does flow less than without it.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
yeah, the No Limit filter is gargantuan! So the outerwear isn't "hurting". But it does flow less than without it.

would be interesting to flow bench it with and without. but i'm not gonna because it works as is , and prove your theory .

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
This question has come up for years. Google will net you tons of threads on various automotive forums and even some with oil analysis after using K&N oil on AFe filters with zero differnce. I tried to research the ingredients but AFe lists theirs on their MSDS as proprietary. They haven't updated that since the early 2000's and haven't met the new SDS requirements that will contain more information. If I had both I could have them tested to see what if any differences there are....but I don't care enough to mess with it. I use the K&N stuff and have for at least a decade.

Notneb

Reaction score
Is someone actually worried about flow with a pre-filter on?! What kind of horsepower are you pushing to where that would even be an issue?!?!?!

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Is someone actually worried about flow with a pre-filter on?! What kind of horsepower are you pushing to where that would even be an issue?!?!?!

on big power combos, filters hurt. But Mike's filter is huge for the power levels of most trucks.

So, no, for a street application, it's pretty much a non-issue. PG7 flows less than the 5 layer.

I figure a thread asking about cleaning a filter would welcome other basic air filter info.

Notneb

Reaction score
Lol, I'm just trying to figure out how high you'd have to flow, for the pre-filter to matter. I would think it's such a minuscule number that it wouldn't matter, as in at that point the filter as a whole is hurting flow.

Not trying to be a smart azz, I'm legit wondering now if it's that much of a difference on a filter that big...

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Lol, I'm just trying to figure out how high you'd have to flow, for the pre-filter to matter. I would think it's such a minuscule number that it wouldn't matter, as in at that point the filter as a whole is hurting flow.

Not trying to be a smart azz, I'm legit wondering now if it's that much of a difference on a filter that big...

probably a lot like the difference between AFE and K&N oil

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Mike is the dry filter washable or just a throw away? When I had my S&B i had a dry and got tired of buying new expensive filters. Thats why I went with an oiled on on this one. I run a pre filter as well the I'm sure needs to get pulled and cleaned

Latest posts

Members online