Better Tuning For 11-12 Trucks

maxxedout

Reaction score
I've posted a couple times about tunes, and I've tried some revisions from different companies. Unfortunately, I'm still not happy with how my truck runs.

I'm starting to wonder if the Mini Maxx is just obsolete now. I'm really curious about Spart-an and the new EZ-Lynk tuner. I'm a bit hesitant about using an N-Dash or N-Gauge because Spart-an is the only tuner that writes files for those, right? It's my understanding that I can get an EZ-Lynk and run Spart-an tunes along with quite a few others. Is that correct?

My question for the group is, has anyone with an 11-12 truck switched from H&S to one of the newer platforms? I'm tired of revisions and changing tunes. I just want something that runs right. Period.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Who's tunes have you ran on the minimaxx so far? I haven't any issues with mine and I've ran GH, Midwest, and Elite.

maxxedout

Reaction score
I ran GH, briefly, but I usually run tunes from Midwest.

The truck is balls-out fast at WOT, but low-to-mid range just isn't right. The truck fuels hard off the line, (not ridiculous, but definitely adequate), then something seems to pull it back right around 1,500-1,550 rpm. From there, it just feels flat/dead until 2,200-2,300, and then takes off like a bat out of hell. It honestly feels like I'm backing off the throttle until about +/- 2,250, and then it just goes. This is EXTREMELY annoying because from a roll, if I put the hammer down, it ends up in the middle of the dead spot. It doesn't matter if I'm at 50% throttle or 100% throttle, I have NOTHING until I'm well over 2K. The truck builds +/- 35 psi of boost at WOT, seems to hold good rail pressure, and there are no codes whatsoever. If I'm in a situation where the truck lugs, when I get to 1,550 or so, the truck starts to buck/jerk, like it fuels, then stops, then fuels, then stops. Once I get past about 1,600, the bucking is gone, but I have no power. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the turbo is sticking, but I can hear the vanes cycle at idle.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Minimax / EZ are all just the way it is delivered. What actual tuning you have determines how it runs. A mini is not outdated but the tuning may be. Who wrote the tunes you have? Do you even know?

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I ran GH, briefly, but I usually run tunes from Midwest.

The truck is balls-out fast at WOT, but low-to-mid range just isn't right. The truck fuels hard off the line, (not ridiculous, but definitely adequate), then something seems to pull it back right around 1,500-1,550 rpm. From there, it just feels flat/dead until 2,200-2,300, and then takes off like a bat out of hell. It honestly feels like I'm backing off the throttle until about +/- 2,250, and then it just goes. This is EXTREMELY annoying because from a roll, if I put the hammer down, it ends up in the middle of the dead spot. It doesn't matter if I'm at 50% throttle or 100% throttle, I have NOTHING until I'm well over 2K. The truck builds +/- 35 psi of boost at WOT, seems to hold good rail pressure, and there are no codes whatsoever. If I'm in a situation where the truck lugs, when I get to 1,550 or so, the truck starts to buck/jerk, like it fuels, then stops, then fuels, then stops. Once I get past about 1,600, the bucking is gone, but I have no power. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the turbo is sticking, but I can hear the vanes cycle at idle.

Call Midwest and have Jared give you something else, those guys are plenty capable. I have EZ in my truck and it is perfect for me. But I did get my tunes from a bald jesus.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Minimax / EZ are all just the way it is delivered. What actual tuning you have determines how it runs. A mini is not outdated but the tuning may be. Who wrote the tunes you have? Do you even know?

I just answered that in the above post. GH was wayyyyy off on the turbo tables, and the revised file I got from them felt down on power. It was smooth, but definitely wasn't fueling enough at WOT. (The truck felt stock.)

Midwest's tunes have been the best, but this issue has been there since I got new files for my No Limit intake. I'm not pointing a finger at the intake, but something definitely isn't agreeing. Morgan has been super helpful, but I just think something isn't right. I know some trucks respond better than others to one company's tune verses another company's tune, and that's the reason for this thread. I'm just hoping there's something out there that will run better than what I have now.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I just answered that in the above post. GH was wayyyyy off on the turbo tables, and the revised file I got from them felt down on power. It was smooth, but definitely wasn't fueling enough at WOT. (The truck felt stock.)

Midwest's tunes have been the best, but this issue has been there since I got new files for my No Limit intake. I'm not pointing a finger at the intake, but something definitely isn't agreeing. Morgan has been super helpful, but I just think something isn't right. I know some trucks respond better than others to one company's tune verses another company's tune, and that's the reason for this thread. I'm just hoping there's something out there that will run better than what I have now.

Ah ha yes my truck did the exact same thing when I put Mike's intake on. The truck was like driving a 2 stroke bike but yes it isn't Mike's intake. That can be tuned out of it.

I was able to get it better with my old Mini tunes, but the EZ tunes I use now are even better. The EZ tunes reduced smoke, and made the truck more responsive and a little more power. Pretty sure Midwest has the baseline of what I have in mine, not sure if they ***ed it up though.

Last edited:

maxxedout

Reaction score
Ah ha yes my truck did the exact same thing when I put Mike's intake on. The truck was like driving a 2 stroke bike but yes it isn't Mike's intake. That can be tuned out of it.

That's the thing... I don't want to point a finger at just the tuning or just the intake, but something definitely isn't getting along. I put on a **** load of miles, and it doesn't take long for me to get aggravated when something isn't right.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
That's the thing... I don't want to point a finger at just the tuning or just the intake, but something definitely isn't getting along. I put on a **** load of miles, and it doesn't take long for me to get aggravated when something isn't right.

Right it isn't anyone's fault here. The tuning just has to be adjusted for the modification you did. But I know what you mean, when I put that on I was shocked at how bad the truck ran.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
Funny I have the same setup running PIP,GH,IDP and still am not happy. Even with a ton of revisions. Hate to sound like a whinny baby so I just stick to what I have. Maybe PPEI or Tyrant is next...

maxxedout

Reaction score
Funny I have the same setup running PIP,GH,IDP and still am not happy. Even with a ton of revisions. Hate to sound like a whinny baby so I just stick to what I have. Maybe PPEI or Tyrant is next...

Yeah, that's how I feel too... I hate bugging tuners for revisions over and over again. I don't want to be "That Guy".

I'm just less-than-pleased with how the truck runs, and I was hoping there was someone out there that had tunes for our trucks 100% dialed in. I feel like the 11-12 trucks have been pretty much forgotten about.

It's so frustrating because at WOT, the truck runs incredible, so there must be something right. For whatever reason, the low-to-mid drivability just isn't there, and that drives me nuts.

Last edited:

04cr450

Reaction score
My 16 has a weak spot when it goes into 3rd gear and u roll into the throttle... like a 2 stroke- all other gears though it has zero lag and hauls but. Gh tuning newly revised with the stage 2 nl intake

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I feel too... I hate bugging tuners for revisions over and over again. I don't want to be "That Guy".

I'm just less-than-pleased with how the truck runs, and I was hoping there was someone out there that had tunes for our trucks 100% dialed in. I feel like the 11-12 trucks have been pretty much forgotten about.

It's so frustrating because at WOT, the truck runs incredible, so there must be something right. For whatever reason, the low-to-mid drivability just isn't there, and that drives me nuts.

i can try and get you a tyrant test file to see if they have anything different for ya . i know its been tough, there's just only so much we can do when we don't actually have the truck.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
i can try and get you a tyrant test file to see if they have anything different for ya . i know its been tough, there's just only so much we can do when we don't actually have the truck.

I tried Cale's test and it was a smokey laggy son of a gun haha. But that was a while ago. Maybe things have progressed.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Well, I had a long conversation with Morgan last night about the truck, and he sent me one more file to try. I've been running files that have been proven to work on many trucks, so it's odd that mine has been responding differently. I have to give Morgan a lot of credit though... With as busy as Midwest is, he still took the time to talk to me to try and understand what my truck is doing. If this file doesn't do it, I'll probably just send the truck to Midwest, and let him mess with it. Who knows... Maybe there's something else going on that's causing my issues. I'll put on some miles this weekend, and report back with what I find.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. GH just 100% stopped working with me. Their revisions seemed to get worse. But I also have the stage 2 intake and was told by a couple different tuners that it's super hard to get that CAI tuned correctly. I wonder if that's the issue on the 11-12 trucks? No matter who's tunes or platform (mini and SCT), mine seems to go flat about 1500 under normal throttle and feels like it "surges" about 1800 rpms and then feels like it pulls normally from there. Then under a heavier load it goes flat about 1700 and starts pulling again about 2150.

Mike, if I swap my stock intake back on and the problem goes away, what would I need to get the stage 1 pipe size to work with the existing stage 2 setup? Asking cuz that's something that Voodoo's tuner wanted to do this last summer all ready cuz he said getting back to stock size where the MAF is will clear up a lot of these issues.

But maybe this is totally irrelevant too and it's just a limitation in the stock computer??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It's long gone...

It may be worth finding a stock airbox and trying.

It seems one of the hardest things to tune is the MAF on these trucks being they are not exactly a linear input.

Im fixing to put my stock air filter back on for that very reason.

Latest posts

Members online