Bilstein 5160s

MorganY

Reaction score
Anyone ran them? Just got mine in, and am curious to hear some opinions. So far out of the box they look sweet. Wasn't worth spending $2k on a piggyback setup for just the street. I will be clear coating the bodies to help the finish last

Last edited:

MorganY

Reaction score
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374717235309.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374717235309.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 217

TripleE44

Reaction score
I really like mine so far. They ride really nice considering the price difference to the piggyback bypass Icons I had on my last truck. Not quite as nice, but still really good.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Clear vinyl. That's my plan with my icon or king shocks.

I was told the clear vinyl or 3m tape is what you want.

I really like mine so far. They ride really nice considering the price difference to the piggyback bypass Icons I had on my last truck. Not quite as nice, but still really good.

From what trucks I've ridden in with icon shocks they ride pretty stiff. I'm guessing that's the valving icon sticks with unless you ask for different?

MorganY

Reaction score

Awesome, very glad to hear that. If I had a new 6.7, it would be worth spending the extra money on the icon piggybacks.

Clear vinyl. That's my plan with my icon or king shocks.

I was told the clear vinyl or 3m tape is what you want.

Good to know! Ill search it and text you. Thanks again for the sale

From what trucks I've ridden in with icon shocks they ride pretty stiff. I'm guessing that's the valving icon sticks with unless you ask for different?

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I wrapped my icons in clear vinyl and in 7 months they still look brand new. Best cheap investment I've made.

What shocks were you running before? Did you notice the icon shocks being somewhat stiff?

Good to hear the clear vinyl is holding up

B.Warning

Reaction score
What shocks were you running before? Did you notice the icon shocks being somewhat stiff?

Good to hear the clear vinyl is holding up

I was running junk rancho shocks before. They are stiffer than I expected on hwy bumps, but ride like a dream on rough gravel roads, fields, etc.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Which rancho shocks were you running B. Warning? I have been tempted to try the new rs7000mt shocks. I know the rs9000xl have left a bad taste in people's mouths though

TripleE44

Reaction score
I was running junk rancho shocks before. They are stiffer than I expected on hwy bumps, but ride like a dream on rough gravel roads, fields, etc.

I think this is what people forget about Icon shocks, or any shock that's more of an offroad capable shock. They're building and valving them to be able to soak up hard bumps offroad, so they can't necessarily be as smooth on roads. If they were smooth on roads, they'd be so soft offroad that they would bottom out way too easily. You tell them you want them softer, then end up shoving a tire too far into the wheel well you'd possibly come back to them about it.

That's what I liked about my Omega Bypasses, I know I'm not going to jump the truck, or even blast whoops at high speed, so I could make it as soft as I wanted. What I did learn, is if you make it too soft, the truck will sway wayyyy too much. It will ride really nice in a straight line, but when you turn it will dive. Kinda shows why, in general, these trucks just never are going to be soft riding without spending as much as the truck itself cost...

VanoFord

Reaction score
You guys think it would be worth upgrading my front shocks to the 5160s over the 5100s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

i have 5100's all around, and I will be upgrading to the 5160 in the front next month. i feel like the truck needs that extra reserve to handle the quick road bumps. we'll see if my assumption plays out.

tyedyer

Reaction score
I got duals up front and rear. They are great. Had them for year and half now, and through the -45 degree weather here they stood up and still held strong. They are a bit small for a 1ton but they work well in duals on all 4 corners for me

B.Warning

Reaction score
Where are you guys buying the clear vinyl? Or are you having it done at a decal shop? I've got a set of 5100s on the way and wanna do this before putting them on

I had a local decal/sign shop do mine. It was just as easy let them do it right the first time.

tensixniner

Reaction score
I've had 5160 on the front for a year. Better than the stock shocks they replaced. The bodies are doing well but the banjo fittings on the hose are rusty.
Wish I had the time to paint the bodies when I installed them.

MorganY

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks guys. I'll get them vinyl'd and then will clear the banjo fittings

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.