Blowin Boots

Arisley

Reaction score
Just make sure to replace your wife or daughters hair spray when you steal it. Best part is when you tell them why. LOL

My wife picked up a can of hairspray for me. She argued that I did not want that cheap stuff because it was just like spraying polyurathane on your hair. I told her that is axactly what I want.

Clem1226

Reaction score
My wife picked up a can of hairspray for me. She argued that I did not want that cheap stuff because it was just like spraying polyurathane on your hair. I told her that is axactly what I want.
lol, polyurathane

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Too late to help the OP, but I have RDP boots on one 7.3 and DS boots on the other. Could be 'cause I'm only making <30psi, but I haven't blown a boot in 100k miles on each truck (at least not when the clamps are tight :doh:). I have had those stupid worm clamps loosen up and cause leaks at the plenums and/or spider several times... Now I have plenum inserts and t-bar clamps for that! :thumbup:

So, I cannot say one set of boots performs better than the other - but they are quite different from one another. Both sets are longer than OE, but thats where the similarity ends. The DS boots are made of a more rigid material and are a bit more resistant to flexing. I have often wondered if that helped or hurt their ability to stay on??

I thought the DS boots were more expensive - but included clamps??

co04cobra

Reaction score
The big rig radiator hose does work damn good ESP on the plenums. But I do keep blown mine off at the pipe side at the turbo I think I'm goin to try the dieselsite boots. That one blows off and all of mine are doubled clamped. A buddy of mine that owns several big rigs told me to face the clamps opposite directions would also help. Mine seems to never hold past 45psi:doh:

juniort444e

Reaction score
I am waiting for the stuff to come in still, but who says i still cant have fun. Took two buddys out for a little cruise, and on the way back right by my parents house the cold side pipe boot that connects to the spider blew and sounded like a shotgun going off. Scared the living hell out of them and gave me a good laugh. But held for about 40 mins drving like a maniac.

Need that new stuff to come in so i can double clamp everything and be done with it. Seems like i have a handle full of tools in the cup holder just for the little issues.

TARM

Reaction score
The big rig radiator hose does work damn good ESP on the plenums. But I do keep blown mine off at the pipe/42 side at the turbo I think I'm goin to try the dieselsite boots. That one blows off and all of mine are doubled clamped. A buddy of mine that owns several big rigs told me to face the clamps opposite directions would also help. Mine seems to never hold past 45psi:doh:

This is with that gt40/42 hybrid ?

Think you might be pushing that boost a bit high there? LOL Any idea what the manifold:drive psi ratio is at over 45psi+ ?

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
This is with that gt40/42 hybrid ?

Think you might be pushing that boost a bit high there? LOL Any idea what the manifold:drive psi ratio is at over 45psi+ ?

I havent did a BP gauge b/c moore had one on his. When he was running this exact turbo with 238/100s it was 1:1 at 40 psi. I know that mine would be higher now with the 300/200s but I have had no problems. Actually out of the whole truck the turbo having problems is the least of my worries. It has saw 50psi on the dyno it never acts or sounds like its straining it. Just made a 500+mi round trip pulling a trailer. Knocked down about 17mpg also. :D

Side note: I guess I could also get a reading off my scan gauge by watching the ebp? I havent got to play with the scan gauge much.

TARM

Reaction score
The issuebwith the ebp sensor is its voltage rnage isbsetup tononly read to 48 psi absolute not guage psi. That puts it at reading only to 34 psi which actually matches up very well with the stock turbo and waste gate setting where boost does not pass 17. On your turbo you will be under 1:1 at that point or close to it but never over it. But I would not think having a larger nozzle is going to effect the boost to drive psi ratio without waste gating as those are mechanical ratios. As long as you are using the same housings etc.. it should hold the same. But I could certainly be wrong on this.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I knew there was an issue with trying to read it off the ebp but couldnt remember. Andy told me after the 300 swap that he would really like to know the BP b/c he had another housing for the turbo that could help if need be. He seemed certain that it would change. Im not smart enough on the matter to discuss it in depth.

TARM

Reaction score
Hey like I said I could be wrong. I am just basing it off fact the wheels turn in a 1:1 ratio on a single shaft. Air expansion from heat is what turns the turbine wheel. Now can a larger nozzle make more drive pressure yes but it would be turning both wheels faster as well.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Yes i bought more t bolt clamps.

Yes i kind of did a ccv mod, its just kind of hanging under the truck right now, too busy to put the other pieces together.

Still have to hook up the boost gauge and pyro, the sensors are in but the power wires are not hooked up.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
Give me a call and we can hook them up. You will have to come to my house cause I still am mr. Mom watching the kids. I have all my tools at my house right now too.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Well i might have a problem now. I am praying i dont but something doesnt seem right.

I ran her very hard today. And she performed awesome.

The problem is two blown boots after some biznitch almost hit my passenger side and proceeded to cut me off. I got on it pretty good, and she kept going, i started to pull past her when boom, the boots pop off.

Then i have a wierd vibration the whole way home and it didnt seem to be shifing right either. I figured the shifting was because the motor rpms werent getting high enough, and i was scared because it was vibrating wierd.

What can happen from blowing a boot at higher speeds. Im hoping its just nothing, if so ill have to swap everything over to my spare motor which i have no clue if it even runs yet.

TARM

Reaction score
Well think about the compressor wheel like a helicopter's blades. The whole time that wheel is spinning its trying to pull itself out the intake. The faster it spins or higher the boost the more that thrust force. Now imagine what happens when all that pressure is explosively evaculated? Think how hard that wheel /shaft snaps back. Straight from Pius when you have to worry when you blow a boot is if the turbos sound changes or acts diffrently once the boot is back on. I would get the boot on and se what it sound slike. If it sounds dif you may be on your way to a rebuild. Hopefully there was no wheel housing contact or not to bad. I think I am double clamping everything and replacing the.last couple factory boots with rad hose before I really get into it. It will take some doing to get the 3" hose on the 3-1/4" IC ports but they will stay for sure then.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I will check the wheel tomorrow. I didnt hear anything wierd as far as sounds go.

Its more of a wierd vibration the gets worse the higher the rpms go. Im hoping its like that because two boots blew off this time and it wasnt gettn any air.

Latest posts

Members online