Blue smoke on acceleration.

ghohouston

Reaction score
you will need an oil cooler rebuild kit, it wouldnt hurt to replace intake manifold gaskets... would also be a good time to put new o rings on your turbo drainback tube, maybe pull your ipr while the turbo is off and have real easy access to it, and make sure theres no trash in the screen, and or that the screen is still attatched. and honestly, im not sure about the deltas, i just work on em when they come in rolling white coal. but like stated, if you park nose down hill and pull the mod valve, and the intake is wet, thats a tell tale sign your cooler has ruptured

JMart

Reaction score
Twelve hours worth of work over four days and the egr cooler is gone. So is the blue smoke. It still smokes white, and the wife wants to murder me for wasting money on something that didn't fix the truck. Its either going to a mechanic or in the lake next week.

Why did I buy a 6.0 again?

JMart

Reaction score
13.1 on the last fill up which was Friday before last or about 50 miles ago.

Lassie

Reaction score
Did you check your boots real good while apart? A blown boot/low air intake can also make you smoke.

But, since this started after an oil change, I still have to suspect injectors. You have AE right? Power Balance while cold and see if the offenders show.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Buddy did you drive it at all, and or did you clean your intake manifold? In not on either, drive the truck, put some miles on it, its still got coolant to be burn out

JMart

Reaction score
Did you check your boots real good while apart? A blown boot/low air intake can also make you smoke.

But, since this started after an oil change, I still have to suspect injectors. You have AE right? Power Balance while cold and see if the offenders show.

Buddy did you drive it at all, and or did you clean your intake manifold? In not on either, drive the truck, put some miles on it, its still got coolant to be burn out

I did a power balance on it after it was warmed up. Nothing showed abnormal. I will try it again after its cold again. I ran around in it yesterday for awhile and its not smoking at operating temp. I still get a puff on acceleration from a stop sometimes. This morning after it sat all night it was smoking again as it warmed up. I didn't have time to pull the ae out as I was already running late. I will try the power balance again tomorrow morning.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Still white/blue smoking though? If so, probably the turbo seal on its way out. And there is no way to not justify an egr delete lol, it was gonna fail on you eventually

DSTRYER

Reaction score
My wife flipped when I had mine done too, because i mad the mistake of doing mine one at a time. EGR cooler first, then oil cooler, then headstuds. I didn't have the time/tools to do it myself, so it all was done in the shop, so cost of parts + labor = 1 angry woman!

dieselpup

Reaction score
my '05 was blowing blue smoke as well from a dead stop

I bought my '05 f350 last Oct and it didn't smoke at all. After I changed the oil it too started blowing blue smoke out from a dead stop when cold, and accelerate up to 2000 rpm without a hitch. Once it hit 2250 rpm's it started to shudder so I took it to the shop. $3200 later from the shop it still was blowing blue smoke. My truck had it's oil cooler, FICM, and HPOP all replaced. The shop told me they had a 6.0 expert, yeah right. Came on here and many guys were saying REV-X oil can help clear up injector issues. $100 later for the REV-X oil additive and fuel additive, no more blue smoke.

JMart

Reaction score
I bought my '05 f350 last Oct and it didn't smoke at all. After I changed the oil it too started blowing blue smoke out from a dead stop when cold, and accelerate up to 2000 rpm without a hitch. Once it hit 2250 rpm's it started to shudder so I took it to the shop. $3200 later from the shop it still was blowing blue smoke. My truck had it's oil cooler, FICM, and HPOP all replaced. The shop told me they had a 6.0 expert, yeah right. Came on here and many guys were saying REV-X oil can help clear up injector issues. $100 later for the REV-X oil additive and fuel additive, no more blue smoke.

I just put some archoil in it yesterday. Haven't had a chance to drive it much though. Im hopeful.

JMart

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to put some miles on the truck going to Morgan's funeral and back yesterday. Its got over 100 miles on the archoil now and its only smoking on the first couple of accelerations. Once the truck warms up I don't see any more smoke.

I am pretty sure its an injector issue but dont know which one. The power balance test doesn't produce anything so I guess I am just going to hold out until I can afford to do injectors or I start getting a code or something.

ghohouston

Reaction score
What software did you use for power balance? Ford ids is what we have at work, and has a graph showing how bad each cylinder is dropping off

JMart

Reaction score
What software did you use for power balance? Ford ids is what we have at work, and has a graph showing how bad each cylinder is dropping off

AE, it has a graph too.

This is a video I did of it. I started the test when the truck was cold and let it ran for 15 minutes to warm up, and nothing changed. The video isnt that long just a short clip of how it looked.

th_20130618_103426_zps7a25786a.jpg

This is another video of the little bit of smoke that was coming out when it was warming up. I had to put it in drive to get it to smoke this much.

th_20130618_104042_zps7cec22e6.jpg

JMart

Reaction score
You need to scan it cold on first start

I started the test as soon as I started the truck after it sat all night, and let it scan until the truck warmed up. That video was taken a minute or so into the test when there was a slight romp in the rpms. It was short and then went away. But there wasn't a spike on the graph.

Lassie

Reaction score
AE's power balance has some weaknesses. It can be done though, but you have to adjust RPMs all over the range to make it visible with AE. Slight contribution drops are hard to see as the scale is set at the start of the test and the 0 reference remains the reference RPM throughout the test.

Also, most 6.0s will not allow RPM adjustments from AE during PB test, so you have to have other ways of adjusting RPM.

reilly8282

Reaction score
My truck does it to if I'm hard on the throttle from a stop. I'm beginning to wonder if its burning blow by via the ccv. Anyone's still do it with a ccv reroute? Just a thought.

ghohouston

Reaction score
My truck does it to if I'm hard on the throttle from a stop. I'm beginning to wonder if its burning blow by via the ccv. Anyone's still do it with a ccv reroute? Just a thought.

I highly doubt it, its either burning coolant from a failed cooler, head gasket or cracked head or the turbo is letting oil past its seal and burning it. Could also be a bad injector, but rarely cause white smoke

Latest posts

Members online