Blue smoke on acceleration.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Weird, idk man, every powerstroke besides a 6.7 ive worked on has held 15 qts with no problem. I still dont see what that would have to do with smoking

JMart

Reaction score
I dont know either. I guess it can push past a seal somewhere. I talked to Matt today and I will be dropping it off with him tomorrow. He seems to think its the turbo as well. He said he has seen some rebuilds get a bad seal and not hold up. Im thinking maybe I overfilled it which caused to much pressure and messed up the seal? I dont know enough about this thing yet to figure it out. Hopefully I have it fixed by the begening of next week.

ghohouston

Reaction score
my money is on turbo, although ive been wrong before, i have seen a few turbos on their way out over the last few years since i became a diesel mechanic, and your truck seems to exhibit the exact same symptoms

ghohouston

Reaction score
and on an unrelated note, there is a 6 speed 7.3 white scsb on craigslist that reminds me alot of your old truck, other than color obviously

JMart

Reaction score
and on an unrelated note, there is a 6 speed 7.3 white scsb on craigslist that reminds me alot of your old truck, other than color obviously

They seem to be popping up everywhere these days. I kinda miss that truck. In two years in never gave me any trouble. This one didnt go two months.

ghohouston

Reaction score
you bought a 6.0, im not one of the guys who goes around bashing them 24/7, but come on. you got rid of a reliable truck for a know problem child of an engine, you cant tell me you didnt see it coming? lol. hell, my moms ex only had 62k when the turbo and egr cooler went, and all that was done to it was a straight pipe

JMart

Reaction score
you bought a 6.0, im not one of the guys who goes around bashing them 24/7, but come on. you got rid of a reliable truck for a know problem child of an engine, you cant tell me you didnt see it coming? lol. hell, my moms ex only had 62k when the turbo and egr cooler went, and all that was done to it was a straight pipe

I knew it would have problems I just didn't think it would be that fast. My 7.3 wasn't practical anymore so it needed to go. I wanted something newer too. It was either a 6.0 or a DMax.

ghohouston

Reaction score
yeah i know what you mean. i got rid of mine simply because it wasnt practical either. i didnt use it for a truck nearly enough to justify keeping it, and it was my dd, for 60 mile round trips to work (lewisville to mckinney) 6 days a week, so i traded it for my tdi jetta. i have every intention of getting another diesel truck down the line a bit

JMart

Reaction score
Well Matt said it was the turbo. He pulled it off and checked it out said he could see some oil somewhere and that it was a little low on boost when he was driving it.. And he said everything else checked out fine. So I ordered a Pmax today.

Will post final results once I get the new turbo on.

JMart

Reaction score
Hope hees got experience on these trucks

His screen name on here is BroncoF250444. He was a Ford certified master diesel mechanic and member of NTXPSA. He was working for Ford but just recently started his own shop. Mad Matt's Diesel Performance. There are a lot of trucks on this site he has had his hands on, from 7.3's through 6.7's. I've known him for 5 years and I am pretty confident in his work and abilities. He knew it was the turbo and told me how to check it but I took it to him anyways just to make sure. He ruled out every other possiblity before calling me back and didn't charge me out the ass for diagnostic time.

JMart

Reaction score
Im sure you can guess what i am doing.
20130716_151145_zpsdc0452f5.jpg

JMart

Reaction score
Got the powermax installed yesterday. Its not smoking any more. Finally got this one fixed.

Spoolin'

Reaction score

Just read from beginning till end. Seemed like a little story with a happy ending haha. Are you staying with stock sticks and the powermax? That's why I put the popcorn I thought you were going to take it farther.

JMart

Reaction score
Just read from beginning till end. Seemed like a little story with a happy ending haha. Are you staying with stock sticks and the powermax? That's why I put the popcorn I thought you were going to take it farther.

It runs great right now, I will get injectors eventually but not until after I stud it.

Holly Dun

Reaction score
I am wondering if you fellas can provide some clarification in terms of symptoms for me. I have a 6.0 litre F350 (03) and I recently noticed that on occasion she spues out a bit of blue smoke on acceleration. I don't notice this all the time and when she idles there is no smoke. Truck works great otherwise (knock on wood). The only thing I can pin point that I have done to her since I've noticed this is my fuel tank dropped so we put her back up with straps to get us by until the straps come in. It is probably due for an oil change.

I intend on checking for an EGR system (cooler) later but I suspect it is all still in tack. I don't expect it not to be. Turbo was replaced twice, once by warranty and once by mechanical failure when repairing exhaust. Truck only has 87k on it. Injectors were replaced on one side.

If this was an EGR cooler /valve issue would the smoke be more grayish whereby its prestone? I think it worked out in this thread the issue was a turbo seal so I'm trying to establish if blue smoke is more related to turbo or injector issues than egr valve..

Latest posts

Members online