Brand new backup camera

CurtisF

Reaction score
Wanted to give everyone a heads up. Today I just finished installing a new backup camera on my truck. It replaces the tailgate latch with a new one that has an integrated CCD camera. There are several brands out on the market, but this one just came out this month:

134746966638072845889.jpeg

It's made by Rostra, and it fits 2004-2012 F-150 and Superduty (according to their site). I have a 2008 tailgate, and it was a perfect fit for mine. Got mine from a place called Brandon Distributing. Very good customer service, even followed up with me after my order was placed to let me know it was a brand new product, and that they would ship me one as soon as the got it in inventory. Don't know if posting the link to a non-sponsor like this is kosher, but what the hell:

http://shop.brandondist.com/product.sc?productId=739&categoryId=18

The reason why I'm pimping this camera is that it's at least $100 cheaper than any other brand I've found out there. I picked this one up for $220, and most others were $350+ for a CCD version (which is what my Kenwood requires). It looks to be really high quality, the picture is better than my old backup camera, and it looks OEM. So I'm happy with it.

One thing to note, I was searching the forums trying to figure out where to tap into the reverse tail lights for the camera, and no one had a consensus on where to tap into the cab. Everyone always pointed at the harness under the hood, or the wire loom at the back bumper. Yet this kit was set up for connecting somewhere in the cab. I did find a thread that pointed to the wrong wire under the steering column, and connecting my backup camera to this wire caused my truck to ding like I had the key in the ignition with the door open.

So..... passenger's side kick panel, black wire w/pink trace. Can't miss it. Tap that wire, and there's a ground right there as well. Works perfect for those looking to hook up a backup camera, and need a place to tap into the cab rather than outside. This backup camera kit has the exact perfect wiring length to tap into that kick panel, if you have an in-dash DVD system like mine. If you're using a rearview mirror display, it might fit, but I don't know for certain.

Anyway, just wanted to post this to help others. I was kinda frustrated with my online search for backup camera info, so maybe this will help future installs.

CurtisF

Reaction score
someone needs to make on for the 07 under tailgates

Yeah, the manufacturer's website said it fits 2004+, which is odd because the 2004 tailgate is the exact same one as the 99-03.

Wish I had my old tailgate around to see if it would fit it.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Here's the view of the camera from my screen:

2012-10-21_17-45-50_733.jpg

It's not that grainy on the screen, just happens to show up that way on my phone.

By the way, that's an 8" drop hitch on the very lowest rung. My old backup camera wouldn't see it at all in that spot.

Atsah

Reaction score
It really kinda sucks that it doesn't have a wider view on the sides.. I have about the best rear sensors in a bumper I have ever seen work before.. There in a 2010 Jeep Commander, they are in the bumper and on the sides also.. In the rear above the window, it shows both sides of the Jeep, leds let you know where the object is and how close you are to it, it also will shut the radio off when your within 12ft of an object.. The camera's are nice for the driver but they don't give you enough view from the sides IMO..

CurtisF

Reaction score
is there a disconnect by the tailgate so you can still take the gate off easy?

Yep, about 12" of extra cable out of the tailgate to the first connector. Takes 2 seconds to unscrew it, and I can pop the tailgate right off.

CurtisF

Reaction score
It really kinda sucks that it doesn't have a wider view on the sides..

The view with this camera is about twice as wide as the one I had with the old license plate camera. I'm sure there's better out there, but for the price, this was a great deal. :thumbsup:

CurtisF

Reaction score
My license plate one is 20$ lol. But my Cts has a RCA jack so I guess it will work.

Gotta save up for this now.

iPhone

If you paid $20, that's most likely a CMOS camera. The CCD's are more expensive, but a CMOS doesn't work on my Kenwood.

jdc753

Reaction score
How is the night vision on it? Wouldn't mind having a camera as a novelty to go with my screen, and would be nice for the trailer. Powered through an upfitter switch would be perfect.

Zmann

Reaction score
Yeah, the manufacturer's website said it fits 2004+, which is odd because the 2004 tailgate is the exact same one as the 99-03.

Wish I had my old tailgate around to see if it would fit it.

no chance it will fit 07 under

d1284350412-09-tailgate-camera-my-06-f250-finished.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.