Breakout Box

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Does anyone have a write up on building a breakout box? It looks strait forward but like to see how someone else has done it before I tackle it. The few images I pull up on a google search shows using the 42 pin engine harness plug. I was thinking about tying in between the valve cover pigtail and the valve cover. Main reason is that I can't locate a 42 pin connector for under $100. I've got an old UVCH, valve cover gasket and valve cover pigtail laying around. any problems with going this rout vs the 42 pin connector? Also, where can I find a 9 flat female plug I can plug into the engine harness side, i.e. a plug like the valve cover?

My initial plan was to cut out the double plug union out of the old vc gasket, UVCH, to breakout box, out to a VC pigtail. But if I can find a female pigtail, I'd do that for a cleaner setup.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
No I haven't. The last few times I've been at a junk yard they would look up the going price on the net and charge somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% and you get a whole 30 day warranty if that. Figure spending a day searching a couple junkyards, maybe find what you are looking for, might as well buy parts new at that rate in my opinion.

79jasper

Reaction score
No you-pull-its around?
I mean I just got a tcase for $110 from a junkyard. You're going to the wrong places or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
There's only a handful of junkyards within a reasonable driving distance. Most of them won't let you pull your own parts, a couple of them won't let you on the lot. You tell them what you're after or point it out and they send a highly qualified meth head to pull it. I guess its an insurance thing. The parts go to the guys at the counter that takes a half hour googling it and asks near retail. Who knows maybe things have changed a bit. Haven't been in several years. I might swing by one or two after work, see what they got

Tom S

Reaction score
A pdf file for you to take a look at as well for building a 7.3 injector cutout box.

Attachments

• Break out box for 7.3.pdf
    819.6 KB · Views: 121

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Tom, you are awesome! The PDF is what I'm looking for! I checked out that page on that forum a while ago. The links don't work and every page on that sight takes FOREVER to load. BTW, On my way home from work (which is a ways from where I live) this morning I saw a junk yard I've never noticed before. Stopped in, got the plug and an 05 XL grille for $30 after haggling. I guess I know where to go now. The ones by my house are eff'n crazy! They have a big ass pickle jar full of fuses they pull from the cars at $1 each LOL. Meanwhile you can go to the parts store and get a 10 pack for $3. Ill try to take some picks and post it up here for others doing google searches.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.