BTS Trans Service

PsRumors

Reaction score
The Diesel Site one is a bypass filtration set up that should only filter ~10% of the fluid at a time. I'm gonna have to call Brian and ask myself because I have one of these ready to go on the truck and would like to hear his opinion on this.

No disrespect and not saying you're wrong, but want it straight from the source.

:toast:

That is the best place to get the information. Post back what he has to say.

Gulfcoast

Reaction score
The Diesel Site one is a bypass filtration set up that should only filter ~10% of the fluid at a time. I'm gonna have to call Brian and ask myself because I have one of these ready to go on the truck and would like to hear his opinion on this.

No disrespect and not saying you're wrong, but want it straight from the source.

I am interested in this as well. I don't have a BTS tranny but I am putting in the HD4r100 this weekend along with a 31 row 6.0 cooler and I was considering the Diesel Site setup as well.

indyF-350psd

Reaction score
had my dieselsite external trans filter on when i went down for my bts trans.....he said i should take it off because of the restrictions it causes in the flow....i just had him take it off while he was down there....

dmd

Reaction score
trans holds 22 quarts.....I typically have to re-fill with 7-8 quarts with a standard 4x4 pan, and
9 or so with the PML pan I'm running now......

that's about 40% of the fluid, and good enough for me. I've been running a BTS for three years, doing nothing BUT towing
our 5er, (21,000 lbs gross weight), out here on the West Coast in the Mountains, and NO problems.....

suit yourself.....

If Brian recommends it then it may be best for his trans then, but the " I have
had no problems" line is like a smoker saying smoking is fine because they
haven't had a problem.

Brian took my external filter off and threw it in the trash, said never ever put any other
one back on.

DocBar

Reaction score
had my dieselsite external trans filter on when i went down for my bts trans.....he said i should take it off because of the restrictions it causes in the flow....i just had him take it off while he was down there....
I just reread the system description of this unit and can see where the restrictions are and could very well agree with Brian. Diesel Site says their system takes these restrictions into the equation.
I wonder if Brian would refuse warranty due to this system. :doh:

http://www.dieselsite.com/1999-200373lfordpsddieselsitetransmissionfiltersystem.aspx

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
Brian says to not run an external filter, Period.

he also says to drop the pan, change the filter, and refill it...

nuff said for me, I can follow instructions.....

you guys want to do something contrary to and EXPERT in the field's recommendations, just have right at it, I'm not that dumb.

DocBar

Reaction score
Brian says to not run an external filter, Period.

he also says to drop the pan, change the filter, and refill it...

nuff said for me, I can follow instructions.....

you guys want to do something contrary to and EXPERT in the field's recommendations, just have right at it, I'm not that dumb.
Don't be so hard on yourself. You're incredibly dumb!! :eek:wned:

J/K man!!

In all seriousness, I've seen more than a couple of experts on subjects completely hate a particular thing for very little reason. They could've had a bad experience with a particular thing and it kept them from ever using that particular thing again. Brian is definitely the man on 4R100's, but he's not infallible. There's no reason not to question why he thinks a certain way. That's a good way to gain knowledge.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
brian told me not to run one on his trans!!! so i sure the *** wont, i dont give a chit what his reasons are!!! i dont care if he says the filters only come in a certain color and he doesnt like that color! i wont run it! plain and simple.... told me back when i got mine that if its just a dd then drop the pan and filter, put new filter and fluid in every 40k.... if towing a lot every 30k... but that was a couple years ago so now it may be every 20k-30k
live life full throttle

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Machine flushing the transmission is super risky. Any contamination in the pan or filter can be forced back into and through the transmission. Drop the pan, swap the filter, refill. No need to give the trans a spa day treatment, it'll still love you if you just take the driveway route to servicing its internals.

TARM

Reaction score
I do trans fluid changes a few ways:

If I am concerned at all with the filter I drop the pan and swap the filter. Then refill.

If I want to do a full fluid flush I disconnect the feed line from the trans that is going into the trans cooler. I push a piece of hose over than end and then have it run into a 5 gal bucket.

Start up the engine and let it run till I see bubbles and the flow start to slow down. I then fill if back up and run it for a few quarts more. By now if the fluid has had any color change from use you will see the bright fresh color of the new trans fluid. Now I know I have gotten all the fluid from the trans tq converter and lines all flushed out and replaced with fresh fluid. All that's left is to top it off and then warm up and get it full to the proper level.

I have also done it where I add at the same rate its flowing out the unhooked trans line into the bucket. But in that case I end up using about 30% more fluid as it mixes while you are adding.

It all depends if you want to drop the pan to take a look and change that filter or if you do not mind doing it anyways and still flushing. When you consider the cost of these trans and even top end fluid its still under $200 using the most you could possibly use IMO its worth it.

I only use Schaeffer's All Trans. I pick it up in 5 gal buckets as that gets the best price break as I do all the oils as well.

PsRumors

Reaction score

Did you call?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.