Building my first 7.3l powerstroke

dynile

Reaction score
Hey gentlemen! I am looking at building a 7.3. I want to get it around 700 hp. Could any of you tell me what exactly I'll need to do to it. Like which parts to buy, where to order them, all that good stuff!

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I mean no disrespect bit you need to read, read.... and read somemore, specifically in this forum. I would say read for at least a year then decide.

Plus take a financial advisement class. Accredited school... no online courses.

Arisley

Reaction score
And a 700 HP 7.3 is not cheap.
You will have 3 times as much money in the drivetrain than you do in the truck.

Cheapest way to get 700 HP is to sell the 7.3 and buy a 6.7.

dynile

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I figured it would be way out of my budget. What about a 500 horse 7.3?

dynile

Reaction score
It depends on how much the truck is going to cost me. I don't want to have to take out a loan so that's why I'm not doing the 700. My budget would be about $8-10,000

Reaction score

99powerstroke7.3

Reaction score
500hp can be done with a good set of injectors and 38r or a custom drop in like the brute66 from no limit or d66 from beans, along with a fuel system and possibly a hpop, and some good tuning, studs are not necessary in my opinion is your not constantly beating on it. Now question is will the trans hold up? i mean the sky is the limit its just how much you wanna spend and is it really worth it. i mean a newer 6.4 with deletes and a good tuner are making 500hp and doing it economically! Not saying there not i love my 7.3 but there just not really that friendly with todays fuel cost

cbf9703

Reaction score
500hp can be done with a good set of injectors and 38r or a custom drop in like the brute66 from no limit or d66 from beans, along with a fuel system and possibly a hpop, and some good tuning, studs are not necessary in my opinion is your not constantly beating on it. Now question is will the trans hold up? i mean the sky is the limit its just how much you wanna spend and is it really worth it. i mean a newer 6.4 with deletes and a good tuner are making 500hp and doing it economically! Not saying there not i love my 7.3 but there just not really that friendly with todays fuel cost

Explain please.

Arisley

Reaction score
If you just do it over a time period, I would do it in this order.

1. Buy a truck, try to get the lowest mileage you can, but don't be overly concerned with that. 1999 and 2000 will have forged rods.
2. Hutch and Harpoon the very first day you have it.
3. Intake, a 6637 and a short piece of 4" pipe is cheap.
4. 4" exhaust turbo back. Many good choices out there, with or without a muffler.
5. A chip, lots of options there, pick a tuner of your choice, mine is Tony Wildman.
6. Head studs, it is insurance for a later date.
7. A HPOP lots of good medium oil choices, all of them except 1 is a good choice, my choice is Adrenaline.
8. A transmission, the 4R100 does not like added power, once again insurance for a later date.
9. Build or buy a fuel system from the tank forward, works good now, and insurance for a later date.
10. Injectors and a turbo, not many choices for a drop in turbo, but if you spend the money for a T4 mount, you have hundreds of choices. Injectors, lots of good builders, make a choice. You have to have your chip reburned to match these combos. Tony Wildman has free reburns. And he is a really cool dude.

This can all be done in one wallet crunching weekend and you have one big grin for a while.
Or you can spread it out over a couple years and have a big grin with each and every upgrade.
You notice I throw a lot of supporting mods in before adding the power, much easier on the wallet that way.

FORD7.3

Reaction score
^ This. Start one thing at a time and build up to the goal you want.

OBS73

Reaction score
You can find better deals then that from reputable vendors on this site I believe if you searched. You need to listen to the guys that are telling you to take it slow and build the supporting mods before you hit the big sticks and turbo. Before you hit that HP rating you should really consider rebuilding the transmission to handle that power before you empty your wallet. It won't last long with that kind of HP and torque if it is a stock trans and the trans is not cheap to make handle this type of power reliably.

psduser1

Reaction score
When tom says 99 and 2000 yr pickups, he means engine. The build date on the engine is going to be different then the "truck" build date, which is related to when it was titled. I have two 01 pickups, by the title. Both have forged rod engines.
On the passenger side valve cover, there is a sticker with the rated hp at a given rpm. That sticker will give you the engine build date. Bring a rag, maybe some brakekleen, it's usually covered in grease and dirt, lol.

bruce

Reaction score
8-10k including the truck isn't much. 3300 for turbo and injectors. Then trans, fuel and hpop. I had over 10 just in stuff bolted to my engine, 15 if you include the bts.

dynile

Reaction score
Of course I'm going to build it slow I'm not rich. I just want to see what all I will need and how much it will cost when it's all said and done. I was planning on doing the tranny as my very first thing. It's like building a house. You need a strong foundation before you build. Otherwise the house will be **** and fall apart

OBS73

Reaction score
The right transmission will take about half that. Then support mods. And once all that is doen take the rest and start saving for the injectors and turbo. Start reading some build threads and info on the site, a lot of good info here. I learned a lot when I did my 7.3 from just this site alone.

Latest posts

Members online