Building my first 7.3l powerstroke

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
250/100 garrett 38r adrenaline fuel system and bts and I had 520 hp according to track times on a pmr motor. Ran great until I threw a rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99powerstroke7.3

Reaction score
What is there to explain.....set of good injector like a 238/100 or 250/100 and a good charger like a 38r or brute 66 if he doesnt wanna spend $$$ for a t4 mount. A 17* hpop should hold up but id upgrade personally. Fuel system such as a fass or ad or even a a-1000 with a regulated return

99powerstroke7.3

Reaction score
As far as being effeicent it will eat fuel unlike a newer "tuned" truck. A 6.4 will averege 20+mpg with deletes and a tuner where my 7.3 pulls 16mpg... im comparing apples to oranges here but i keep daily driving in mind and with todays fuel cost every gallon count...i had big plans for my truck but decided to turn my building funds into a new truck funds!!!

cbf9703

Reaction score
I got the first part from your initial post.... I'm not in changing HPOP reservoir oil crowd. I wanted to know how you were justifying buying, tuning, and deleting a newer truck just based on fuel costs.

As far as being effeicent it will eat fuel unlike a newer "tuned" truck. A 6.4 will averege 20+mpg with deletes and a tuner where my 7.3 pulls 16mpg... im comparing apples to oranges here but i keep daily driving in mind and with todays fuel cost every gallon count...i had big plans for my truck but decided to turn my building funds into a new truck funds!!!

Just hear me out on this... at $3.50/gal diesel:
16 mpg 7.3.... $3.50/16=.21875, so $.22 per mile
20 mpg 6.4... $3.50/20= .175, so $.18 per mile

We're basically talking a 4 cent per mile difference.... even after 50,000 miles that's only a $2000 difference. You're not selling me on that point alone. Based on the cost inputs required for a tuned, deleted 6.4 and a 500 hp 7.3, how long would you have to keep the 6.4 to really see a cost benefit? Apples to oranges or not....

There are benefits to newer trucks, but there is also a reason why some people still play with 7.3s. Like you said, the sky is the limit when it comes to how much you can spend, but that's true for any aftermarket performance, regardless of the platform.

sootie

Reaction score
You can find better deals then that from reputable vendors on this site I believe if you searched. You need to listen to the guys that are telling you to take it slow and build the supporting mods before you hit the big sticks and turbo. Before you hit that HP rating you should really consider rebuilding the transmission to handle that power before you empty your wallet. It won't last long with that kind of HP and torque if it is a stock trans and the trans is not cheap to make handle this type of power reliably.

huh? they are a reputable vendor...

psduser1

Reaction score
I got the first part from your initial post.... I'm not in changing HPOP reservoir oil crowd. I wanted to know how you were justifying buying, tuning, and deleting a newer truck just based on fuel costs.

Just hear me out on this... at $3.50/gal diesel:
16 mpg 7.3.... $3.50/16=.21875, so $.22 per mile
20 mpg 6.4... $3.50/20= .175, so $.18 per mile

We're basically talking a 4 cent per mile difference.... even after 50,000 miles that's only a $2000 difference. You're not selling me on that point alone. Based on the cost inputs required for a tuned, deleted 6.4 and a 500 hp 7.3, how long would you have to keep the 6.4 to really see a cost benefit? Apples to oranges or not....

There are benefits to newer trucks, but there is also a reason why some people still play with 7.3s. Like you said, the sky is the limit when it comes to how much you can spend, but that's true for any aftermarket performance, regardless of the platform.

I agree with this post.
At roughly 400hp, my old 7.3 will do any work a new truck will. And it's paid for.
Cons- it's noisy, less comfortable, and not as cool as a new truck. I'm good with that.

It's worth it when I can smoke a newer ride, lol.:biggun:

Arisley

Reaction score
http://www.diperformancetransmissions.com/stiiipa.html

What is your guys' opinion on this? Would it be a good starting point?

You can find better deals then that from reputable vendors on this site I believe if you searched. You need to listen to the guys that are telling you to take it slow and build the supporting mods before you hit the big sticks and turbo. Before you hit that HP rating you should really consider rebuilding the transmission to handle that power before you empty your wallet. It won't last long with that kind of HP and torque if it is a stock trans and the trans is not cheap to make handle this type of power reliably.

DIPerformance is a reputable vendor. David Lott is one of the most reputable guys on any forum, or in any life.
In all the time I have been involved in diesel pickups, I have never seen or heard of an issue with David that has not been handled. Sometimes even when the issue was not his fault. He will spend money to keep a customer happy.

While BTS is a good transmission, he is not a vendor on this or any site. David is.

ghohouston

Reaction score

I seriously doubt any 6.4's are getting 20 mpg...

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score

Maybe according to the dash it will. But not once you hand calculate it

Jason

Reaction score
Outside of the costs to buy, and modify a new truck, there is also the cost of a catastrophic breakdown, that will not be covered by warranty, due to mods, and removal of emissions equipment. I like the relative simplicity of my old dinosaur, and even if I have to spend more money, to make x power...I am starting off with a paid for truck, that I gave $3500.00 for. I have my Denali, or my 2015 tahoe if I want amenities, or luxury crap. For truck stuff, I don't need cooler or heated seats, navigation, sunroof etc. The power to match what new trucks have is easy and relatively cheap to come by...it's the niceties you pay for. Don't drive it like a retarded 16 year old, and your fuel mileage will come also. You will have to be really nice to a 6.4 to get 20mpg too..it won't come automatically with deleting and tuning it. I run 34" tall michelins on factory 20" wheels, and at 70mph turn 1700 rpm..I have got as high as 19mpg mixed driving, hand calculated, bone stock. If I got the truck to 340 rw, and mileage dropped to say...15 mixed..that's as good of mileage as a deleted and tuned 6.4 in town, if not a little better...the same rw roughly as a 6.7, and more power than a stock 6.4, and into 6.7 territory stock. No expense of the big stuff that can break, and still comes in over $30k cheaper. Do you realize that your "buy a new truck, because it gets better mpg" argument is void?? That $30k I save in my old truck will buy a lot of damn diesel..more than I would probably run through it in my lifetime at this rate. Yes, it's nice to say you have something new, and all of that. But when something big happens, and you are left holding the bill...

cbf9703

Reaction score
I seriously doubt any 6.4's are getting 20 mpg...

Maybe according to the dash it will. But not once you hand calculate it

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for arguments sake, since he claimed 20+mpg. The 6.4s I know aren't getting that, but even at 20 mpg, my point is that the difference is not that significant. Without turning this into mileage wars, we all know that mileage varies (even on one vehicle) so why focus on just that? My lifted 7.3 with enough upgrades to cover the OPs budget sees anywhere from 10 -17 hand calculated depending on what/if I'm towing, where I am, and driving manners. Last time I checked, we're talking about aftermarket truck performance, not how to hypermile a Prius.

But hey, for the 4 mpg or so increase he can't afford NOT to buy, tune, and delete a newer truck. LOL

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I gave him the benefit of the doubt for arguments sake, since he claimed 20+mpg. The 6.4s I know aren't getting that, but even at 20 mpg, my point is that the difference is not that significant. Without turning this into mileage wars, we all know that mileage varies (even on one vehicle) so why focus on just that? My lifted 7.3 with enough upgrades to cover the OPs budget sees anywhere from 10 -17 hand calculated depending on what/if I'm towing, where I am, and driving manners. Last time I checked, we're talking about aftermarket truck performance, not how to hypermile a Prius.

But hey, for the 4 mpg or so increase he can't afford NOT to buy, tune, and delete a newer truck. LOL

Benefit of the doubt, pssshhh, Frank you're too nice LOL Towing my 97 got the same MPG as the 6.4, both with 4:10's and 35's. Only difference was a 97 RCLB to the 08 CCLB. Trailer and weight both the same loads. Unloaded that's where the difference was.

You turned it into a pissing battle here not me

Who turned it into a pissing match?

OBS73

Reaction score
huh? they are a reputable vendor...

I was not trying to say they weren't. Was typing on my phone and for some reason the word "other" was left out after proofreading the statement. Wasn't trying to steer away or tell him they were't a good vendor. Was just trying to say do some window shopping and look around and he could find some cheaper alternatives from other vendors.

Arisley

Reaction score
I was not trying to say they weren't. Was typing on my phone and for some reason the word "other" was left out after proofreading the statement. Wasn't trying to steer away or tell him they were't a good vendor. Was just trying to say do some window shopping and look around and he could find some cheaper alternatives from other vendors.

Explanation accepted.

swinky

Reaction score
I think you need to lay off the drugs. 20+ mpg in a 6.4? Get real.

Jomax

Reaction score
I'm shooting for 600crankhp on my truck, is it cheap? Nope. But I'd take this truck over a new one anyday.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.