Carter 4601hp lift pump in SD fuel system?

neverkickn

Reaction score
I saw where Tarm used one to feed his dahl water seperator and supply his surge tank. I am considering using one also, but have seen a lot of negative info on the web about their reliability. Is anyone else running one?

I am considering seting it up to run all of the filtration and supply the main fuel pump with filtered fuel. It would be plumbed to draw from the tank through a 1/2 in pickup tube, through the seperator, and into the pump. It would feed into the final 2micron filter, and out to the inlet of the main fuel pump. All hose from the tank to the inlet of the main fuel pump would be 1/2 inch. I could even plumb a tank return in the line between the final filter and the main fuel pump to keep the lift pump from building pressure. That would keep the lift pump free flow and reduce strain on it.

My thoughts are that this setup would leave my main fuel pump free to strictly presurize by taking the lifting strain off of it. It would also allow me to install a air removal tank similar to what Tarm is using in betwewen the final filter and the main fuel pump. My thoughts where that the filters would release entrained air so that an air trap could be used to remove it.

Anyone see a potential problem with this design?

Reaction score
don't know any thing about the pump but you really should think about a 2 mic filter between the last pump and the injectors...if the pump takes a major dump..the filter will catch whatever it spits out rather then mess up your injectors...

neverkickn

Reaction score
Hadn't thought of that. Definately changes things. I don't see myself running three filters. I guess I would just plumb the output of the carter into the main fuel pump and then run it through the 2micron, and up to the motor.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I was considering using one of those to feed my fuel pumps. I'd just have the carter after the pickup tube and before the 10mic filter

neverkickn

Reaction score
I was really hoping to be able to put mine on the up flow side of the water seperator. I just wonder if the carter would be ok pulling through the seperator. If I where to feed the seperator with the carter, then I would want to give the flow on the output side of the seperator an unrestricted path back to the tank for the amount of fuel that the main pump is not using. That would prevent the seperator from being presurized, although it would still be within it's operational pressure range.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I have done some searching around this weekend and I think I am going to modify a fuel filter head for air removal. In Tarm's fuel system thread on PSN he alluded to the fact that a fuel filter head could be used to trap air, and that the FASS system wasn't that complicated on the air removal side. I looked at the FASS flow chart and sure enough, I think I can drill and tap the center of the filter head and run a pickup tube down to the bottom of the filter. I would use the new port on the top of the filter head for the fuel supply and repurpose the old feed port coming out of the side as a return back to the tank for aerated fuel.

This would enable me to remove some entrained air while at the same time keeping the pressure from building in front of the lift pump so as to increase it's lifespan.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I just went with the 4601, not the hp. The 4601 moves 100gph free flow and the 4070 moves 72gph. I was looking for something to move as much fuel as possible through a home made air seperator. The 4601 also has 3/8 ports vs the 1/4 ports on a 4070.

I got the pump on yesterday and it made a noticable difference in performance. I just have it plumbed into my water seperator now, but I plan to have the air seperator built and plumbed in next week.

Latest posts

Members online