CCV - Can't take the Smell

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
I still get a little bit of oil. It's not bad. The t-strainer catches most of it. At some point I may add some scrubber brushes inside the trap to see if that will hold more of the oil. But for now it works just fine.

You wouldn't happen to have the part number, would you? They make like a bazzilion with the clear bowl.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Mine is very similar to Pocket's, it runs from the valve cover to a homade 3" PVC catchcan mounted on the frame rail. From the catch can, back to the intake.

The bottom of the catch can has a drain plug on it. I drain it when I do an oil change. Usually get a teaspoon or so out of it.

Can you post some pics of yous?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I put a 3" piece of silicon tubing on the fitting that is in the intake. I put a female cap on that and its glued in place.

For the actual downdraft tube I used the same 3/4" tubing and a 3/4x3/4 90* barbed elbow and ran it along the bottom of the cab and it stops behind the cab. It doesnt stink too bad. Im leaving it.

CurtisF

Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to have the part number, would you? They make like a bazzilion with the clear bowl.

Unfortunately I don't. Sorry. I wrote it down when I first got it, but I have no clue what happened to it.

Basically I just walked in, talked to a salesperson there and told him what I was doing, and we went to the back inventory looking at different t-strainers until I found one I liked.

All I remember is that the bowl is clear nylon, and it's either the LMB/LBF/LBB series or SSF series. I could look tomorrow and see if there's something stamped on it that would have a part number or something.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't. Sorry. I wrote it down when I first got it, but I have no clue what happened to it.

Basically I just walked in, talked to a salesperson there and told him what I was doing, and we went to the back inventory looking at different t-strainers until I found one I liked.

All I remember is that the bowl is clear nylon, and it's either the LMB/LBF/LBB series or SSF series. I could look tomorrow and see if there's something stamped on it that would have a part number or something.

Please do check for us.

genie144

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Cummins CCV filters? I saw that they have a filter designed for atmosphere venting that might do the trick... Or could always be routed back to the intake:

CV50111

Anyone know anything about it or have a connection to check on pricing?

Sam

TyCorr

Reaction score
Anybody else here running Mobil1 Full Syn Turbodiesel truck 5w40? The ccv blowby doesnt smell that bad.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Anybody else here running Mobil1 Full Syn Turbodiesel truck 5w40? The ccv blowby doesnt smell that bad.

I can't get my truck to stop leaking/using oil enough to justify anything but WalMart Super Duty diesel oil. Right now it's not leaking, but sure seems to be passing oil past the o-rings. Got a set sitting right here waiting to go in next week. If I can go two oil changes and not use any oil I might consider switching to some high grade.

OT, I have the Racor CCV and all I've noticed is once the filter and canister fill up, which doesn't seem to take long, it starts letting oil into the intake. In fact, this thread has me wondering if my Spearco doesn't have a bunch of oil in the bottom affecting it's performance. Yay, IC removal FTW. Not. Is drain plug too much to ask for? I might have a bung welded onto the Spearco now that I think about it. It's possible I may not be maintaining the Racor properly, any advice on that?

Tom S

Reaction score
I run Motorcraft and it is not too bad. Rotella smells worse.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I can't get my truck to stop leaking/using oil enough to justify anything but WalMart Super Duty diesel oil. Right now it's not leaking, but sure seems to be passing oil past the o-rings. Got a set sitting right here waiting to go in next week. If I can go two oil changes and not use any oil I might consider switching to some high grade.

OT, I have the Racor CCV and all I've noticed is once the filter and canister fill up, which doesn't seem to take long, it starts letting oil into the intake. In fact, this thread has me wondering if my Spearco doesn't have a bunch of oil in the bottom affecting it's performance. Yay, IC removal FTW. Not. Is drain plug too much to ask for? I might have a bung welded onto the Spearco now that I think about it. It's possible I may not be maintaining the Racor properly, any advice on that?

Oreillys used to hook me up with the 5w40 for 19/gallon even though its 29/gallon. They wont do it anymore so now Im going to order the Valvoline Cummins Blue 5w40 as Ive heard its 'better' oil anyway. Anybody use a special filter with that? Ive been using the Mobil1 filters with mine and like them. I like that extended service Donaldson that people use and might try it.

@Big Bore-Ive got that oil leak problem too. My turbo pedestal was leaking and so I bought a blank one and a 38r to ditch the leak and uprgrade at the same time. The pedestal repair made the leak half the size it was before, I suspect the hpop is leaking the rest. I still think its better with syn.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
i'm suprised anybody still runs rotella in a stroker (6.0 especially(spool valve issues) anywhere it gets below 40 deg....even in a 7.3. also suprised that anything (especially plumbed back past the cab) is stanky enough to make a person plumb it back into the intake... it'd have to be sarin gas(not that you could smell it then) for me to put oil back into the IC. On my 7.3 it's run into the frt. fenderwell and with premium blue (and quite a bit of blowby)... it's not bad at all... SUCK IT UP and run an open ccv proud... theres no way it's worse than the smell of ULSD!!! tho i don't mind that anyway:blitzed:

Big Bore

Reaction score
TyCorr, I don't have any external leaks. I also have the non-ebpv pedestal and 38r. Although my pedestal was not delivered like yours. LOL My oil consumption is for sure internal and I'm positive it's o-rings.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
i'm suprised anybody still runs rotella in a stroker (6.0 especially(spool valve issues) anywhere it gets below 40 deg....even in a 7.3. also suprised that anything (especially plumbed back past the cab) is stanky enough to make a person plumb it back into the intake... it'd have to be sarin gas(not that you could smell it then) for me to put oil back into the IC. On my 7.3 it's run into the frt. fenderwell and with premium blue (and quite a bit of blowby)... it's not bad at all... SUCK IT UP and run an open ccv proud... theres no way it's worse than the smell of ULSD!!! tho i don't mind that anyway:blitzed:
My truck loves the T6 synthetic. My only issue with it is the price, but as long as the truck is running strong and the Blackstone reports are clean I guess I'll keep using it. But to get back on track with the thread, I dumped my CCV right under the driverside door just to see if the smell would bother me. The plan was that if it bothered me enough I'd build a catch can and plumb it back to the intake, but it hasn't bothered me at all. I ride with the window down 99% of the time (unless the wife is shotgun). She hasn't bitched about a smell either.

lowbedriver

Reaction score
I put a one way check valve mounted at a 45 degree angle in the exhaust pipe, it will pull a slight vacuum at anything above idle

TARM

Reaction score
So you are saying that its actually pulling a vacuum when measured at the crank case?

SO Exhaust flow is pulling the check valve open or is it CCV that is pushing it open. I know I was surprised and just how small the amount of pressure in the CC it took to cause issues and how small the total amounts we were talking about over all.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.