Changed Tuning - Drives Way Better - Lost a Lot of Fuel Economy

bpan

Reaction score
Originally when I bought my truck I had a Mini Max with what I assume were the tunes that came with it. The truck shifted quite hard especially at certain RPMs and fears. (I forget actually which gears & RPMs). Unhappy with this performance I got the truck tuned by a local business with a very good reputation around here, I believe he uses EFI Live. The truck shifted like a new truck and I have not had a single problem since. However I went from getting 950kms per tank (titan tank) to getting 600-650kms. Now part of this could be due to recalibration of the spedometer, but I can't see it being that much. Is it reasonable for me to expect my 950kms per 50gal tank back?

bpan

Reaction score
I should also add that this means I was getting hand calculated 12 MPG approx, and now have gone to approximately 9MPG. This is also on 37s with a 6" lift
Also it has 3.23 gears, or at least that's what the truck was ordered with. I am not sure if the previous owner changed them or not. I should probably check one day.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Your truck wasn't tuned with EFI live as its not available for our trucks. Does it still have the mini max it that can change power levels like it used to?

bpan

Reaction score
Your truck wasn't tuned with EFI live as its not available for our trucks. Does it still have the mini max it that can change power levels like it used to?
No, the Mini Max is only there for gauges. It may not be EFI Live, but he tunes the trucks with a laptop and you do not need to have a Mini Max or any other module in the truck.

My09Ride

Reaction score
I'll bet, short life, busted head gaskets, broken pistons, and poor mpg has a lot to do with the Right Foot. The Big trucks are designed with a lot of Dumb Drivers in mind. Even the ISX 16L. These belong to you, no matter the tune!:cursing::stupid:

bpan

Reaction score
The use of my right foot has not changed. It's always been heavy. What are you guys getting for fuel economy?
EDIT: what I'm really trying to get out of this thread is: Should I leave it an be satisfied, should I go back to the place that tuned it and see if he can make some adjustments, or should I get an altogether different tune ?

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I would be curious to see what the truck is actually tuned with etc etc. Get ahold of Morgan at Midwest Diesel and Auto or Mike at No limit Fab for plenty of tune options that you could use with your mini maxx and would see great shifting and much better than 9mpg. Even with 37's and a pretty heavy right foot you should be in that 12 -15mpg range depending on what kind of driving you do. But overall no I would not be happy with what you have at all.

bpan

Reaction score
I think I will do that. What do they charge for a tune approximately?

JRLott

Reaction score
Call them. Depending on how much you drive a 33-66% increase in fuel economy will go a long way toward paying for the new tune. In addition, you'll have quality and shouldn't have to worry about installing a window in your block as much.

bpan

Reaction score
Any suggestions on whattune to get? I was given the option of ******** or Midwest diesel. I think this is a good solution for me and Mike (not Morgan as I had called him by accident ) will hook me up with a great deal.
EDIT: Gear Head is censored?
EDIT 2: I am on 37s, 3.31 gears, ~6" lift, Del'ed, and EGR blocked, stock intake but would like to upgrade to NL soon.

Last edited:

dcswetman

Reaction score
Really enjoying my gh tunes. Truck runs very strong and shifting is very smooth and crisp. Highly recommend them. Have not troed the exhaust brake yet. Unsure if my version has it updated to work.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Any suggestions on whattune to get? I was given the option of ******** or Midwest diesel. I think this is a good solution for me and Mike (not Morgan as I had called him by accident ) will hook me up with a great deal.
EDIT: Gear Head is censored?
EDIT 2: I am on 37s, 3.31 gears, ~6" lift, Del'ed, and EGR blocked, stock intake but would like to upgrade to NL soon.

I have been really happy with my GH tunes over the years, I know Midwest has some good stuff as well, just haven't tried them personally because I never felt the need to change. A NL intake and some OUO traction bars are a must for upgrades. Pretty sure Mike can hook you up with some bars as well, that or Jared (breaking habits) on here works for OUO and Midwest. You will be amazed how much different traction bars make even a stock powered truck drive let alone lifted and tuned.

bpan

Reaction score
..... more money I don't need to spend haha. I think I'll go for gears before traction bars. I'm not racing the damn thing I just wanna get some half ass fuel economy

WHY NOT

Reaction score
..... more money I don't need to spend haha. I think I'll go for gears before traction bars. I'm not racing the damn thing I just wanna get some half ass fuel economy

I dont race or pull mine either, just really helps how the truck drives, shifts and tows. This site is great at helping people spend money.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I'd keep the 3.31 gears and throw on some traction bars personally. It's cheaper and you need them regardless honestly. I made my own for my truck, but have installed pmf setups and they are top notch!

Latest posts

Members online