Changed Tuning - Drives Way Better - Lost a Lot of Fuel Economy

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with g3arhead tunes

Even with stock H&S tunes your mileage sounds pretty bad, unless, that is, you just can't resist smashing the skinny pedal.

For ref mine gets 15-18 and I drive aggressively, 3:55 & 35". 8-10 dragging the toyhauler.

bpan

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with g3arhead tunes

Even with stock H&S tunes your mileage sounds pretty bad, unless, that is, you just can't resist smashing the skinny pedal.

For ref mine gets 15-18 and I drive aggressively, 3:55 & 35". 8-10 dragging the toyhauler.

Well, I do like the skinny pedal! Haha! I bit the bullet and ordered a tune!

bpan

Reaction score
I'd keep the 3.31 gears and throw on some traction bars personally. It's cheaper and you need them regardless honestly. I made my own for my truck, but have installed pmf setups and they are top notch!

Where did you source the parts to build your own, it should not be hard at all.

bpan

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to update this son of a bitchn' Mini Maxx? Ive been trying for the better part of the evening with no luck. I have the updater but it keeps telling me it failed. This is exactly why I went away from these ****ing things...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to update this son of a bitchn' Mini Maxx? Ive been trying for the better part of the evening with no luck. I have the updater but it keeps telling me it failed. This is exactly why I went away from these ****ing things...

hey buddy i would replace the card. those little turds are almost always the culprit . get a new 4gig card .

bpan

Reaction score
Ok, I will try that, can I go larger or do I need 4 gig? Thanks for your help by the way, youve been great. This thing on the other hand.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, I will try that, can I go larger or do I need 4 gig? Thanks for your help by the way, youve been great. This thing on the other hand.

yeah 4 gig is plenty . i'll get you thru it buddy , one way or the other !!

SVTDiesel

Reaction score
But, to answer your question of what someone else is getting for fuel economy, I have a 2015 and I am seeing around 13 hwy, and 9 city. That is a F350 Platinum no lift or leveling kit with 325/50/22. I run Ndash with No limit intake, 5" downpipe back axle dump, H&S throttle body, and cold side pipe.

bpan

Reaction score
Tune is installed! Im going to fill up diesel tomorrow morning and see what we get for fuel milage! Does anyone know if the Mini Max downloaded my old tune as the "stock" tune file? As in could I potentially re-load it and go back to where I was for a tune?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Tune is installed! Im going to fill up diesel tomorrow morning and see what we get for fuel milage! Does anyone know if the Mini Max downloaded my old tune as the "stock" tune file? As in could I potentially re-load it and go back to where I was for a tune?

yes, just reload the tune on the h&s device. to do so you'll have to fully return to stock though.

bpan

Reaction score
I think we're talking about 2 different things. Oh well I hope I will love this tune so much I won't want to go back!

bpan

Reaction score
Well, I am getting much, MUCH better fuel economy. My first tank I made over 1050km, vs my previous 650km/tank. I am on vacation right now and got better fuel economy towing an 8000lb travel trailer, than I did empty before. It is a lot quieter in the cab too. Less injector noise or something.

The not so great: I do feel like I am down on power, its impossible to know if this is real or not but that's how it feels.
Shifting overall under low-mid power feels harsh. Again not sure on the reason this is or if it is good for the tranny or bad.

The BAD: My worst nightmare with changing tunes..... my 2-3 shift flare is back, and bad. Only happens literally on the 1st shift when cold, after that it is gone. I know this can be tuned out and hopefully we can work it out. Also even when warm, under full power it will slam this gear.

Side note, whoever tuned the truck before must have made the turbo vanes cycle at idle, it sounded sweet making a "whoosh" noise every ~30 seconds. This is now gone. LOL.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, I am getting much, MUCH better fuel economy. My first tank I made over 1050km, vs my previous 650km/tank. I am on vacation right now and got better fuel economy towing an 8000lb travel trailer, than I did empty before. It is a lot quieter in the cab too. Less injector noise or something.

The not so great: I do feel like I am down on power, its impossible to know if this is real or not but that's how it feels.
Shifting overall under low-mid power feels harsh. Again not sure on the reason this is or if it is good for the tranny or bad.

The BAD: My worst nightmare with changing tunes..... my 2-3 shift flare is back, and bad. Only happens literally on the 1st shift when cold, after that it is gone. I know this can be tuned out and hopefully we can work it out. Also even when warm, under full power it will slam this gear.

Side note, whoever tuned the truck before must have made the turbo vanes cycle at idle, it sounded sweet making a "whoosh" noise every ~30 seconds. This is now gone. LOL.

yeah buddy let me know if you need anything !

bpan

Reaction score
Can we try to make some adjustments and see if we can get rid of that shift flare? I can live with it but I need to remember to let the truck shift a certain way on the first shift. Other than that I really like it. EGTs are nice and low too. I can't wait to get it on the dyno. Not sure when they will be having another dyno day though. Also I see a CAI in my future!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Can we try to make some adjustments and see if we can get rid of that shift flare? I can live with it but I need to remember to let the truck shift a certain way on the first shift. Other than that I really like it. EGTs are nice and low too. I can't wait to get it on the dyno. Not sure when they will be having another dyno day though. Also I see a CAI in my future!

sure can. just call me in the am .

bpan

Reaction score
on holidays right now ill call you mid to late this week. Thanks for the help Mike.

bpan

Reaction score
Im just going to use this thread as my random bull**** thread. Just installed my No Limit intake, and built myself some traction bars.

WOW this intake is WAY larger than i thought it would be, well worth the money, seems to have a bit more power on my 11 with the stock turbo but sure cleans up a lot of smoke. Also the lie o meter shows about 2mpg better. We will see.

The traction bars: These thing make the truck feel like a brand new truck, used to slam 3rd gear hard, and occasionally slam on downshifts as well. Truck drives so smooth even under hard power. I seriously can not believe what these things did for my truck.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Im just going to use this thread as my random bull**** thread. Just installed my No Limit intake, and built myself some traction bars.

WOW this intake is WAY larger than i thought it would be, well worth the money, seems to have a bit more power on my 11 with the stock turbo but sure cleans up a lot of smoke. Also the lie o meter shows about 2mpg better. We will see.

The traction bars: These thing make the truck feel like a brand new truck, used to slam 3rd gear hard, and occasionally slam on downshifts as well. Truck drives so smooth even under hard power. I seriously can not believe what these things did for my truck.
Post some pics of the traction bars,would be nice to see what you made.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.