Changing turbos to Garret GTX/ need opinions

Klutch

Reaction score
Currently running a gt35r with tial stainless exhaust housing with a 1.03a/r and a gt4202r with tial 1.00 a/r. The truck spools uber quick but back pressure is to high on a full throttle run. I am changing the turbos out for a gtx3582r and a gtx4202r, I will stay with a 1.03 on the 35 as thart is the biggest vband housing tial makes. My question is, I want to go with a bigger turbine housing on the 42 to help with backpressure. Tial will be making 1.30 housing, will this be to big? I,m not a turbo guy, just could use some opinions from people that know more than I.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.- The gt35r and 4202r will be for sale.

blackbetty13

Reaction score
i personally like garrett but i heard that the batmowheel flows 6 lbs more boost then a garrett so if i blow my 71mm gt42 im going to got with something like a 74+mm bullseye because the spool up is supposed to be much greater.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Personally I feel the whole Turbo set up is just too small.

That being said if your going to.purchase two new turbos I would get a gt45 or 47 and run the same high pressure Turbo.as you have now. The 45 or the 47 will.give you better exhaust flow and let the back.pressure come.down some without having to.gate both turbos and waste exhaust energy...

That being said that gt42 is probably killing your fuel only numbers. You need a 80mm wheel or so or even bigger...

You have an industrial pump and 150s right?

You need alot more air. I personally think a gtx45 would be your best bet... flows close to a generic gt47 but in a tighter package

Klutch

Reaction score
Personally I feel the whole Turbo set up is just too small.

That being said if your going to.purchase two new turbos I would get a gt45 or 47 and run the same high pressure Turbo.as you have now. The 45 or the 47 will.give you better exhaust flow and let the back.pressure come.down some without having to.gate both turbos and waste exhaust energy...

That being said that gt42 is probably killing your fuel only numbers. You need a 80mm wheel or so or even bigger...

You have an industrial pump and 150s right?

You need alot more air. I personally think a gtx45 would be your best bet... flows close to a generic gt47 but in a tighter package

So your saying a gtx45 with a gtx35? I think the turbos are a bit small as well, that's why I would like the gtx turbos instead.

Yes on the pump and nozzles.

The current setup does pretty well on cleaning up the smoke on the xrace file tho.

Would the gtx45 drop in place without modification to the uppipes/exhaust?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Another thing you might consider is getting an 82mm Turbo from tadd that he uses in the Max powers and run that. Its expensive but its probably cheaper than buying two new turbos and will.outflow any Garrett Turbo... I believe its based on a gt45 platform

Klutch

Reaction score
Just a side note. Rob said Jake at Tial kinda talked him out of the 45, in his opinion it became inefficiant quiker than the 42. Not sure on that.:confused:

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
So your saying a gtx45 with a gtx35? I think the turbos are a bit small as well, that's why I would like the gtx turbos instead.

Yes on the pump and nozzles.

The current setup does pretty well on cleaning up the smoke on the xrace file tho.

Would the gtx45 drop in place without modification to the uppipes/exhaust?

Direct replacement as far as mounting,although the compressor housing is a bit larger but dimensionally the same.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Like David said deminsionally the ssame but you will see benifits from the larger turbine wheel.

I wouldn't run a New high pressure. Leave it alone if it spools fast.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
What size high pressure is Tadd running in the max power kits? The 35 seems small to me...

It might be but just gate around it and its fine... spool up is more what your concerned with anyway. Tadd can run a 66 because its a vgt I don't think a fixed geometry would spool. Very quick

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I forgot about it being variable in the max powers.

I agree with spoolup being the goal. Gates are great to bypass. Was just looking at the specs on the 37 and it seemed like it could be do-able as a high pressure turbo.... If you didn't have one already. A big gate on a the 35 with the right spring pack coupled to a gt47, should make one hell of a set of compounds

Klutch

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions. I think I'm gonna end up going with a gtx45r with Tial 1.30 housing and maybe a gtx35r with Tial 1.03 housing, not sure on that yet tho.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions. I think I'm gonna end up going with a gtx45r with Tial 1.30 housing and maybe a gtx35r with Tial 1.03 housing, not sure on that yet tho.

That sounds like a pretty good option honestly, should flow what a smaller generic gt47 flows, spool fast, and make the back pressure come down, i still am not sure you really need to change the high pressure, you just may need a bigger gate to go around it and drive the low pressure a little harder

What kind of boost were you seeing from the low pressure?

Klutch

Reaction score
Yeah, I might hold off on the hp. Low pressure is 65-70psi. On the 35 I have the gate set at 15psi boost, if I put the gate at 25psi egts are up 200-300f

Klutch

Reaction score
Yeah, I might hold off on the hp. Low pressure is 65-70psi. On the 35 I have the gate set at 15psi boost, if I put the gate at 25psi egts are up 200-300f

This is also on a stock trans/converter with xstreet tune. I imagine things will be abit different with Eric's new tunes on the xrace file and the suncoast trans. It's here just gotta find time to install it, slicks and wheels showed up today to.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

the atmosphere turbo is making 65-70 ??????????

Dzchey21

Reaction score
No way the lP is making 65 70, i could see total boost being that high but no way on the low pressure, if that were the case total boost would easily be over 120 psi

Latest posts

Members online