Cleaned HFCM, now losing FP

6speedsd

Reaction score
Haven't even fooled with it. It's not my DD during the winter mths, so it hasn't really been a priority. I'm going to try and get it squared away over Christmas weekend if I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
You ever come across anything about the returns? Just making sure I don't need to focus any attention on those connections.

jngreen

Reaction score
You ever come across anything about the returns? Just making sure I don't need to focus any attention on those connections.

I think you should probably drain your tank, or pump it into your dad's truck, then drop your tank and look inside. Or pull the bed like suggested earlier. I think your problem is pre pump.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I couldnt find anything about it. Ford's info on irt is very vauge and didnt see anything that jumped out at me. Sorry man. Just to rule the returns out though youncould hook them together off the pump and then block off both return ports and see if you still suck air. I know you said it got worse with just the returns pulled, so this may help.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I think you should probably drain your tank, or pump it into your dad's truck, then drop your tank and look inside. Or pull the bed like suggested earlier. I think your problem is pre pump.

So do I, but before I go that route I'm swapping a known good complete assembly on there, just to satisfy my curiosity and rule that out. Like mentioned by someone already, the issue started when I pulled min apart. No reason to start having issues pre pump at that exact moment. Also seems like the suction effect I'm getting out of the supply line from the tank wouldn't be happening if it were leaking anywhere pre pump.

I couldnt find anything about it. Ford's info on irt is very vauge and didnt see anything that jumped out at me. Sorry man. Just to rule the returns out though youncould hook them together off the pump and then block off both return ports and see if you still suck air. I know you said it got worse with just the returns pulled, so this may help.

Thanks for looking. I don't see how a return would suck air, considering its on the downhill side of the pump. But anything is possible to me at this point.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The only way i could see is if tge gasket on the cover wasn't seated properly as it sections off the return and pressure other than that i couldnt see anything.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, put a known good complete hfcm on it. Same scenario. At least now I know it's an issue in the tank area. Since I'll be dropping the tank regardless, I'm bypassing all the factory pick up nonsense and putting a sump in since I've been putting that off for a while now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yeah I honestly had a feeling that was the issue all along, but just couldn't justify the coincidence of when it happened. Oh well, it happens I guess. At least I'm dealing with this now and not during the summer when that truck needs to be on the road daily.

Is there a baffle of any sort in the fill tube going into the tank? What I'm getting at is can I drain the tank with a pump ran through the full tube. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I have done that, its hard though because the hose will loop up out of the fuel. You can always run a hose off the pump into a bcket and run the pump till its empty.

6speedsd

Reaction score
That would take a while wouldn't it? Can I hot wire the pump with a 12v wire instead of having to constantly cycle the key?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Use heavy enough wire. The pump always runs when the engine is running so I don't see why that would be a problem. The bigger problem is going to be trying to find something to do with 20+ gallons of diesel.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That would take a while wouldn't it? Can I hot wire the pump with a 12v wire instead of having to constantly cycle the key?

Yes you can hotwire it to 12v. Or use a scan tool to cycle it on. When wiring it to 12v, remember that its a motor, so if its backwards you will pump air into the tank instead of diesel out. I use a junk pump a work for pumping tanks, a full long bed tank typically takes about20-30 minutes to pump dry.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Is 10ft of fuel hose enough to get me from tank to pump? It's raining out now or else I'd go measure it myself.

Latest posts

Members online