cleaning up the smoke

Short Bus

Reaction score
my 99 smokes way too much, if i baby it the smoke is barely tolerable if im accelerating on the hwy its too much. It currently has gtx4202r with a 1.15 ex housing and 3xx/400 injectors. I am currently running swamps tuning, which is good and smooth but too smokey for me. However to their defense, its the best ive ran with this setup so far. If a sponsor is willing to give it a shot i'd like to try some new tunes, i do have several chips to mail back and forth. If nothing else i'll go back to 200's and step teh exhaust housing down a size and see how it acts but i'd like to see if it can be fixed via tuning first. Here's the kicker, Im not willing to pay every tuner for every tune sent. I'll mail a chip out, you reburn and i run. If its the best and im happy, i'll pay and i'll make it worth your while. If no tunes make me happy, i'll swap nozzles and possibly exhaust housings then try again. Who's game? DP tuner, please dont respond. Im not looking for a freebee, just want to make this right and if i have too i will spring some cash for a chosen tuner to fly out to live tune as a last resort. Swamps, Matt, Lott, Bean, TW, PHP, what do you think?

imelmo

Reaction score
When I had the 42r on my orange truck it wasn't smokey under normal driving. I had DI tuning but also had some heavily ported heads that were also coated which I think also helped. That was with my DI b-codes. Had the DI headers also.

Having said that if I got on it all the way it would black out a city block just about. LOL

Short Bus

Reaction score
Get it lived tuned. only way i would do it with big nozzles. imo

Thanks but im trying to spark a bit of a competition. I keep hearing of everyones tuning abilities, so why not call them all out and see what happens. Im not against live tuning if it cant be done. i keep hearing of all these 400 % daily drivers running around and have to wonder why my truck is so different.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Why don't you let Cale tune it next time he's up our way visiting family and friends? I know it's hard to get a hold of him, but I think it would be worth it.

TARM

Reaction score
IMO that bigger 42 and it being their X version with those big nozzles makes it a different animal than the smaller 42 or the KASB IMO. Not very many GTX4202 on 7.3 and likely even less with 400% hybrids add to that setup.

Shortbus,

I think it would likely take a few tries to dial it in for a tuner no matter how good as they have no reference to start from as that setup is not exactly widespread.

But to assist in fostering some competition ;) my bet would be on Matt to dial that in via mail.

TARM

Reaction score
These are just educated guesses

The issues I can see:

Is this a engine that has had compression changed head work etc? I would think that would effect things. But in general talking to guys that program tunes, idle as that takes some trial and error to get just right.

Then you have a turbo that has seen very limited use as far as I know in the 7.3. Only a couple GTX4202 I know of. I am not sure how much that effects things but I would think the less that combo is around the harder it would be to have a good base tune for it to start with.

400% can only make so small of changes. I think it ends up taking alot more playing with PW ICP etc.. There is not as much wiggle room between just right and way to much or too little.

Getting cruising smoothness is something that can take some tweaking as well were you get that off on feel to the throttle as you are getting down to the lower amount of fuel that can be injected and get smooth throttle.

Still I think its a good challenge. We know it can be done in the cab by professional as well as private tuners doing just their own trucks. I think it would a very good thing to see what it takes to get one dialed in remotely with just data-logs and input from the owner/driver for the tuner to go off.

I like the idea.

Hopefully the outcome could help further the quality of the base tunes for those wanting to run larger injectors like 400% on the street. IMO it can only help things.

Last edited:

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
Call Dave at Swamps for a revision. He is running 400% nozzle on his Excursion that is daily driven as of 4 weeks ago. Can't hurt to try.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Making sense now........he closing up shop or just tuning trucks that come to him?

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Making sense now........he closing up shop or just tuning trucks that come to him?

Just no longer offering tuning to public.. Tired of all the idiots says it's not worth his time... He is NOT closing shop...

Luke have you tried getting a new set of tunes like others have said?

Marty

Reaction score
Luke, I have some revised tunes for pmt1 I have been running from Dave. I grossed 21k lbs last week pulling with it too. Smokey from a dead stop going up a hill but certainly not bad.

golfer

Reaction score
Short Bus...shoot me an email...and I'll hit you back with some newer daily driver friendly 400% tunes...huge improvement...

I let Jon handle the big power tunes (CP analysis on dyno, etc)...but I tune for the milder chit...

Latest posts

Members online