CNC Ported Scorpion Heads

cbf9703

Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight, but I was fortunate enough to see some interesting work with 7.3 heads back in the day and am curious about the head porting for the new ones. I didn't go back and read the whole thread, but maybe you can clarify these for me...

Ouch!!! Someone's really proud of their work it sounds like. Cnc porting should only cost $1500 a head. At least that's where I'll be at. Parts like high end valves, seats, springs, tubes, steel rockers & rocker bar and other parts are what really adds up fast.

Once you have the pattern set for the porting, yes CNC is far cheaper than hand porting because of the decrease in labor demands... But you have to get to that point somehow and the R&D isn't always cheap for the first few.
I have them on my motor obviously but I've had a hard time finding and engine dyno ready for the scorpion. I don't want to spend $1009s more to hook it up on a dyno when I already know what the results are going to be. I've spoke with some of the biggest shops in the country they say they want them but their just talking and I haven't seen anyone put up any money. Typical.. I've offered free heads to dyno back to back and buy after they see the results and still no takers. Just a lot smaller market and not big spenders compared what I'm used to dealing with in the Cummins market is all. No big deal...give it time, it will come around....
Why not chassis dyno with the setups if you're that hard up for an engine dyno? You may know the results, but people who are looking at something unproven like to see data to support your claims.

What shops do you consider the biggest in the country?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have them on my motor obviously but I've had a hard time finding and engine dyno ready for the scorpion. I don't want to spend $1009s more to hook it up on a dyno when I already know what the results are going to be. I've spoke with some of the biggest shops in the country they say they want them but their just talking and I haven't seen anyone put up any money. Typical.. I've offered free heads to dyno back to back and buy after they see the results and still no takers. Just a lot smaller market and not big spenders compared what I'm used to dealing with in the Cummins market is all. No big deal...give it time, it will come around....

you should probably find a crowd with more money, like the cummins crowd, or spend your own , doing development on your own product . i sure wish the power stroke crowd had the money the other brands did, typical power stroke guys. LOL

50_shooter

Reaction score

So, you are seeing more flow on the bench, but is that a guarantee to see significant HP gains? I'm just asking. I mean, do you have to be up in huge HP territory to see much benefit? I'm sure there is a threshold where stock is perfectly adequate, but where is that? I'm just trying to figure out who would benefit from these. If it's for 1k builds and up, I can't see very many sets sold. There aren't but a handful of trucks in that league that I know of. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to get my mind around who would be running them.

PyroFighter

Reaction score
you should probably find a crowd with more money, like the cummins crowd, or spend your own , doing development on your own product . i sure wish the power stroke crowd had the money the other brands did, typical power stroke guys. LOL

If the Cummins queers have more money then why does mine not have a no limit intake??? Caugh* caugh* Mike... :toast:

Last edited: