Coilovers

TripleE44

Reaction score
Lately, I've been getting more and more annoyed by a harsh ride on bad roads from my truck. How much better can a coilover actually make my truck ride? Am I better off just upgrading shocks further and keeping my coils? Before someone says, if you want something that rides like a cadillac, buy a cadillac, I DO REALIZE IT'S A HEAVY DIESEL TRUCK.

I don't expect it to ride awesome, but if I can invest in a set of coilovers and have it more to my liking that'd be nice. The pothole roads beat me up, and smooth dips on the freeway make the truck bounce for way too long after the dip.

Another thing, if I do go with some coilovers, am I better off with Icon's off the shelf ones, or having a set of Kings or Foxs or something else like that put together?

Just for specs of my suspension, it's a 7'' 4-link kit from PMF using Icon smooth body shocks and Icon coils, 7'' traction block in the rear.

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
Icon coils are pretty much top of the line when it comes to "stock location" suspension mods. I have 4" Dirt Logics from Fabtech and they ride beautifully, but I still need to address the rear with a set of Deavers. However, to answer your question, yes your ride can get better with a set of coilovers, if they are done right, with either dual rate springs or progressive.......but you are also talking some serious $$$.......

Just a thought, try getting rid of that 7" block, get a set of Deavers and then check out Top Gun Customz "progressive" springs for the stock spring bucket up front

Layson

Reaction score
Are you sure your shocks are not blown already? You mention it is bouncy and that just sounds like a set of bad shocks...

What kind of air pressure you running in your tires? Just messing with that can make a difference in ride quality.... I know the tire place I go to jack them up to 50 psi... LOL I can understand that when towing...

TripleE44

Reaction score
Icon coils are pretty much top of the line when it comes to "stock location" suspension mods. I have 4" Dirt Logics from Fabtech and they ride beautifully, but I still need to address the rear with a set of Deavers. However, to answer your question, yes your ride can get better with a set of coilovers, if they are done right, with either dual rate springs or progressive.......but you are also talking some serious $$$.......

Just a thought, try getting rid of that 7" block, get a set of Deavers and then check out Top Gun Customz "progressive" springs for the stock spring bucket up front

I've looked at downsouthmotorsports.com which is somewhere PMF put me on once before and it doesn't seem like the pricing for coilovers are too obscene. I realize shock and coil is cheaper, but if it can keep me in my truck again and out of a Raptor its cheaper.

And the Deavers were something I had thought of, where would I even go to get a set of those?

The Icon ones are already progressive rated coils.

Are you sure your shocks are not blown already? You mention it is bouncy and that just sounds like a set of bad shocks...

What kind of air pressure you running in your tires? Just messing with that can make a difference in ride quality.... I know the tire place I go to jack them up to 50 psi... LOL I can understand that when towing...

They're not bouncy like a set of blown shocks. They just seem like when I hit a certain set of dips(that I get on a weekly basis) they don't have as much control as they should.

As far as tire pressure, that's not really something I've ever thought of. What should I be running on a 37'' toyo on a 20'' wheel? I got them from an offroad shop, but I guess they could put more pressure than I need in them.

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
And the Deavers were something I had thought of, where would I even go to get a set of those?

As far as tire pressure, that's not really something I've ever thought of. What should I be running on a 37'' toyo on a 20'' wheel? I got them from an offroad shop, but I guess they could put more pressure than I need in them.

Wasn't sure if the Icon's were already progressive or not.......

Here are the Deavers, expensive, but trust me worth their weight in gold

http://sdhqoffroad.com/FordSuperduty08-102wd/4wdRearLeafSprings7Lift.aspx

IMO 50PSI up front and 40PSI in the rear is what I run not towing and then I bump the rear to 50 if I tow.......I know that alot of tire companies go by the info on the door jam, which can say 70PSI in some trucks.....now that's a rough ass ride

TripleE44

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if the Icon's were already progressive or not.......

Here are the Deavers, expensive, but trust me worth their weight in gold

http://sdhqoffroad.com/FordSuperduty08-102wd/4wdRearLeafSprings7Lift.aspx

IMO 50PSI up front and 40PSI in the rear is what I run not towing and then I bump the rear to 50 if I tow.......I know that alot of tire companies go by the info on the door jam, which can say 70PSI in some trucks.....now that's a rough ass ride

Ya I've heard of the Deavers before from a guy I know that builds really big trucks. He's got some theory of them vs atlas vs national, I don't remember exactly but he always says Deavers are the softest. I had these in the back of my mind when thinking about trying to improve the ride. You think I would benefit as much from a 5'' spring so I could get a smaller block for my traction block setup?

I'm gonna lower the pressure tonight when I get home to the truck and see where that's at. I'd like to think the offroad shop I took it to was smarter than to over fill em...

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
Ya I've heard of the Deavers before from a guy I know that builds really big trucks. He's got some theory of them vs atlas vs national, I don't remember exactly but he always says Deavers are the softest. I had these in the back of my mind when thinking about trying to improve the ride. You think I would benefit as much from a 5'' spring so I could get a smaller block for my traction block setup?

I'm gonna lower the pressure tonight when I get home to the truck and see where that's at. I'd like to think the offroad shop I took it to was smarter than to over fill em...

You could definitely do a small block and the 5" springs and it will improve your ride drastically......I'm not sure if there is a HUGE difference between Nationals, Deavers, and Atlas, but I do know the "thinner more leafs" theory works well.....

Its was put to me this way from a rep for Deaver at SEMA one year, "Most people look at our leaf pack and wonder how a bigger leaf pack can give a better ride and control. Picture taking 4 or 5 pieces of card board, stacking them on top of each other, and then trying to bend it with your hands. Now take 10 or 12 pieces of paper, stack them on top of each other, and bend it with your hands......huge difference"

Layson

Reaction score
I've looked at downsouthmotorsports.com which is somewhere PMF put me on once before and it doesn't seem like the pricing for coilovers are too obscene. I realize shock and coil is cheaper, but if it can keep me in my truck again and out of a Raptor its cheaper.

One thing about coilovers is valving, just an FYI there is probably hundred different ways to valve them. Everybody does it different. If I were to go with an off the shelf setup I would go with the icon setup.

Just keep in mind that 90% of your ride quality is from the front of the truck. I have messed around with my coilovers and shocks in the rear to tell you that adjusting them makes very little difference in overall ride quality. Deavers are a good quality riding spring.

Engineered, tested, and ran on tons of superduty’s out there!

They're not bouncy like a set of blown shocks. They just seem like when I hit a certain set of dips(that I get on a weekly basis) they don't have as much control as they should.

Yes just that can make a big difference in how soft the truck rides. I would see what pressure you are running. I have seen guys run that size tires on the street down to 25-30 psi. The big drawback is you may not get the same kind of mileage out of the tire.

I really I think you ought to price out a good set of shocks, one that you can adjust or has bypasses. In reality the coilover is just the same thing as your setup. You can get it to ride probably just as good as a set of coilovers. I can tell you that your shock really is what tunes your springs. I can make my setup ride like a Cadillac or I can make it ride stiff/bouncy as heck without even messing with springs and just messing with my external bypass shocks.

The one good and also can be a bad thing about having some badass shocks is that you can tune your suspension without taking anything apart. You can make a few tweaks to the shock and completely change the way the truck behaves.

If you don’t want to mess with anything than maybe a set of coilovers would be the best option for you.

TripleE44

Reaction score
What shock would you go with if you were in my shoes then? Something custom or does Icon offer something like that? I was kinda wondering if the coilover was all that necessary, and if I could have something I could adjust that'd be pretty cool for me.

Edit: I see the Icon Omega series with bypasses exist, but can't find pricing on them...

Last edited:

Layson

Reaction score

Tires will have a recommended air pressure for the amount of weight they are carrying. If you can find that for your tires it would be a place to start.

B.Warning

Reaction score
I just put on the icon 2.5 icon piggy back reservoir shocks on my truck and it made a HUGE difference in my ride. I'm running icon 2.5 springs and a tei. I've only drove the truck down a half mile of gravel road, but in that short distance of wash board pot holes it was a big difference.

Layson

Reaction score
This is for the toyo m/t's.
photo-449.png

TripleE44

Reaction score
I just put on the icon 2.5 icon piggy back reservoir shocks on my truck and it made a HUGE difference in my ride. I'm running icon 2.5 springs and a tei. I've only drove the truck down a half mile of gravel road, but in that short distance of wash board pot holes it was a big difference.

I think I'm gonna try out the omegas on the front and see what I think of them. Then I'll probably go with those, or the 2.5s for the rear depending on what I think. The adjustability sounds really cool to me.

Thanks for the chart Layson, but for some reason there's not a 37x13.50r20...? Or I'm a retard and don't see it...

TripleE44

Reaction score
Well tire pressure is at 40 all the way around, so that's not my issue I don't think.

If anyone has any suggestions but the Icon Omegas, let me know, as of now that's what I'm thinking since I've got the Icon coils also.

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
Well tire pressure is at 40 all the way around, so that's not my issue I don't think.

If anyone has any suggestions but the Icon Omegas, let me know, as of now that's what I'm thinking since I've got the Icon coils also.

Yea at 40 is should be at least a decent ride.....I guess in order to help you out, describe the ride of your truck in detail. Is it bucking in the rear, does the front have a lot of bumper steer, does the whole truck bounce you, does the front end feel like there is no up travel, etc etc....know what I mean?

TripleE44

Reaction score
Yea at 40 is should be at least a decent ride.....I guess in order to help you out, describe the ride of your truck in detail. Is it bucking in the rear, does the front have a lot of bumper steer, does the whole truck bounce you, does the front end feel like there is no up travel, etc etc....know what I mean?

The best way I know to explain it is it seems like every bump is greatly exaggerated. I can see the bump/pothole coming up in the road, which you'd never think would be something big, and as soon as my front wheels touch it my whole truck is jolted hard more than I think it should be. I can even clearly feel the difference, although not jarring, of a painted on line at intersections.

I drive on some pretty crappy roads, with potholes everywhere and the only way I can keep from feeling like I'm getting beat pretty bad is to go way too fast on the road. A little while back I took my dads truck(stock 6.7) for the day, drove the same roads, and compared to mine, it just soaked up the bumps like they weren't anything.

The other thing I mentioned before was the long flowy bumps/dips. Not sure what else to call them, but the truck gets to bouncing. Not necessarily like a pogo stick bouncing but more towards like a blown shock. This is the one that really gets to me, because it's almost like I'm not fully in control of the truck when it happens. Now that I'm thinking of it, it dives to the passenger side specifically on these type of bumps also.

The rear does buck a little sometimes on a perfect bump, but that's not really my biggest issue, although some passengers have been known to come off of the seat from it.

Latest posts

Members online