compounds..

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Post up a picture of that setup would ya? Im very interested in seeing what all can possibly be crammed underneath the hood of a 7.3

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long, been busy, but here ya go. I was even able to retain the factory A/C.

Attachments

• 100_0138.jpg
    100_0138.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • 100_0136.jpg
    100_0136.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • 100_0141.jpg
    100_0141.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
So whats the theory behind having three? and whats the gasflow through this setup? Is it one high pressure turbo and then two moderately sized "atmospheres" with tighter than normal housings or tighter than what would be considered an atmosphere housing? Could you explain it or give me a link to some reading i could do on it?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
So whats the theory behind having three? and whats the gasflow through this setup? Is it one high pressure turbo and then two moderately sized "atmospheres" with tighter than normal housings or tighter than what would be considered an atmosphere housing? Could you explain it or give me a link to some reading i could do on it?

It is exactly the same concept as compounds only you are dividing the exhaust flow into 2 "atmosphere" chargers that are your first stage, then compress it and send it to the secondary charger. Theory behind this is you can use smaller atmosphere chargers that will spool quicker but will flow as much or more than a large single atmosphere charger. A lot can be done with turbine wheel size, turbine housing size to get it tuned. In my application to get the airflow I want/needed I was afraid that the size of the atmosphere charger would be too large to be street friendly, which lead to the triples. I would still like to throw that very large single atmosphere charger on and compare its street maners and put it on the dyno but that is a lot of work that I just dont have time for. Maybe this winter when I get bored Ill do it but for now Im more than happy with this setup and it is making plenty of power.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
It is exactly the same concept as compounds only you are dividing the exhaust flow into 2 "atmosphere" chargers that are your first stage, then compress it and send it to the secondary charger. Theory behind this is you can use smaller atmosphere chargers that will spool quicker but will flow as much or more than a large single atmosphere charger. A lot can be done with turbine wheel size, turbine housing size to get it tuned. In my application to get the airflow I want/needed I was afraid that the size of the atmosphere charger would be too large to be street friendly, which lead to the triples. I would still like to throw that very large single atmosphere charger on and compare its street maners and put it on the dyno but that is a lot of work that I just dont have time for. Maybe this winter when I get bored Ill do it but for now Im more than happy with this setup and it is making plenty of power.

Didnt you just say a couple days ago you want to go to a single charger?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Didnt you just say a couple days ago you want to go to a single charger?

Yes I did, but simply so I can run for points in an actual class and shut some people up. There is no way I would want to run a 2.6" (66mm) single charger with my injectors on the street not to mention it wouldnt even begin to clear the smoke on the street with a single charger. I could just step up and make it a strictly dedicated pulling truck and run pro street/open, with solid rear suspenion, spools, air shutoffs, fuel dump valve, etc, etc, but I dont want to do that to my truck. At least if I just take off the two chargers and get a steped compressor cover I can run 2.6 and be real competitave, yet throw the other chargers back on and go drive it on the street with almost 0 smoke.

Last edited:

TURTLE

Reaction score
Has anyone who wants to run something like this with IC thought about going down with the piping? Even though the pipes would be more exposed it would eliminate the space problem and possibly even help with the heat problem.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I think i'm following you now basically using persay two 65 mm inducers instead of one 88 plus to flow the same or better amounts of air with possibly the advantage of a quicker spool, but being able do divide the exhaust gases into two turbines to avoid your backpressure issues... Is that somewhere along the correct line of thinking?

Charles

Reaction score
I've never understood why two chargers receiving half the exhaust energy would spool any faster than one receiving twice the energy. I would imagine that in concept a single on a stage would do better with half as many bearings and lower wheel weight for a given flow, so on and so forth, but in practice I imagine there would be little if any measurable difference.

TURTLE

Reaction score
I've never understood why two chargers receiving half the exhaust energy would spool any faster than one receiving twice the energy. I would imagine that in concept a single on a stage would do better with half as many bearings and lower wheel weight for a given flow, so on and so forth, but in practice I imagine there would be little if any measurable difference.

Couldnt it have something to do with amount of exhaust needed to fill the housing and begin the wheels to turn as well as amount of air beeing pushed on the cold side creating force against the exhaust side wheel?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
I think i'm following you now basically using persay two 65 mm inducers instead of one 88 plus to flow the same or better amounts of air with possibly the advantage of a quicker spool, but being able do divide the exhaust gases into two turbines to avoid your backpressure issues... Is that somewhere along the correct line of thinking?

Yes you are tinking on the correct path. I will say that my atmosphere chargers are a good bit larger than 65mm though. The back pressure will still be bad if you use an inappropriate size wheel housing combo, the same as runing a big single atmosphere.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score

I see where your coming from but honestly I can say that this set only spools a tad bit slower than my old hx55/s4t combo but my manifold charger has a huge turbine and housing compared to the hx55. Also it is on the atmospheres quicker than it would come on to the s4t, and one other thing, my twins would barely clean up my old 400/200's and now Im cleaning up 450/400's that flow a LOT more, (proven on Cass's bench) to a decent haze.

JDub

Reaction score

I don't understand the physics behind it either, but our 2000-cfm Cummins Triple kit spooled 600-700 rpm sooner then the popular 64/S480 twin kit(1850cfm) it replaced. Gained over 100hp on the dyno too, along with dropping EGT's over 200 degress.

Charles

Reaction score
I don't get it. But never having messed with it I can't speak from experience in any way. It just doesn't make sense to me conceptually.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
The way im looking at it is say you have two chargers like something a smidge bigger that my 4094r say maybe a 70mm that's perfectly capable of flowing 80lbs/min but you have two and assuming they are exactly the same in every way flow, compressor, turbine, housings ect. You just effectively doubled your flow to 160lbs/min?

Now as for the turbine side I would think along the lines since your secondary charger is giving you a jump on it say for instance 20 psi of boost, most of what would be considered a middle of the road single like above mentioned 70mm should light pretty effectively, we know it would as itself in regular compound setup, it would create huge bp issues but be really snappy, even with a loose housing. Say maybe throw a 1.10 or so housing on two of them with a smaller turbine side i bet the things would really tear it up but you would have to gate them to control them i would think?

Just talking out my a$$ I could be completely wrong feel free to explain it if someone knows exactly how it works I'd just like to know how it does work.

Latest posts

Members online