glamis

Reaction score
im heating 40 gallons of oil
in an open faced barrel,to about 210 deg
im going to add 7 gal of rug
mix,cover it with a plastic bag
lay a bath towel over the plastic
and a piec of plywood over the towel

as i was heating it,i had the towel over the barrel and water formed on the barrel walls,above the oil,if i do the above mentioned procedure
will water condinsate on the inside of the barrel ??

should have paid more attention in science class

rsr911

Reaction score
If you are gonna heat don't put anything over the barrel during heating or cool down unless it's a cone to vent outside.

I only heat really bad oil but when I do I notice that not only does it remove all the water but a lot of the crud settles to the bottom, have you noticed this?

glamis

Reaction score
If you are gonna heat don't put anything over the barrel during heating or cool down unless it's a cone to vent outside.

I only heat really bad oil but when I do I notice that not only does it remove all the water but a lot of the crud settles to the bottom, have you noticed this?

i cant say
my barrels dont have drains yet
my whole operation is guetto
and im still refining it all(all of it)
so i drain most of a barrel that set on a 2x4 on one side to make all the crap,go to one side
and just drain most of it,from the high side
yea theres crap down therer but i never get a good look at it
every 3rd barrel i just pump the remander in a waste jug
and after it goes throught he pump,it;s all just black liquid
so the only crap i see is whats left in the bottom after it's all drained
it's mostley grit..

david

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Damn you guys are crazy with this stuff... I have 55 gallons of WMO at home that I have thought about doing this with, but to hell if I am going to fubar a set of injectors.

glamis

Reaction score
Damn you guys are crazy with this stuff... I have 55 gallons of WMO at home that I have thought about doing this with, but to hell if I am going to fubar a set of injectors.

noob :)
stock injectors are 118.00 now

but yes it's scary as hell when you first do it
and it's 10 times harder than it sounds
and 10 times more messy
but saveing over 100.00 per fill up has it's allure

sgleshot

Reaction score

I thought the same thing, but im all about not having to shell out $120 per week to drive, Its a little nerve wracking when ya first start running it, but to be honest, I have excellent filtration on the truck, and im filtering it well before it even hits the truck, the motor is quieter, smoother, and to me it feels more responsive. If anything i would say that the injectors are getting lubricated better than they would be with just regular d2. I would say its all about the process, if ya dump just straight drum oil in there without letting it settle or filtering it then obviously your gonna be clogging up filters and having issues, but going through the process, of mixing, settling, filtering, and then running through the truck filters, Its definitly a good setup!!!!!!! Glad i made the jump!!!!!!

genie144

Reaction score
I thought the same thing, but im all about not having to shell out $120 per week to drive, Its a little nerve wracking when ya first start running it, but to be honest, I have excellent filtration on the truck, and im filtering it well before it even hits the truck, the motor is quieter, smoother, and to me it feels more responsive. If anything i would say that the injectors are getting lubricated better than they would be with just regular d2. I would say its all about the process, if ya dump just straight drum oil in there without letting it settle or filtering it then obviously your gonna be clogging up filters and having issues, but going through the process, of mixing, settling, filtering, and then running through the truck filters, Its definitly a good setup!!!!!!! Glad i made the jump!!!!!!
The only scientific study available (that I have seen) indicates that WMO actually is worse for injector lubrication than straight diesel. And then your mixing unleaded gas into it... I would love to see some factual data to back up the W85 claims...

Sam

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Well with a company gas card for my truck its not much of an issue, but with the wifes Excursion it could help.

sgleshot

Reaction score
The only scientific study available (that I have seen) indicates that WMO actually is worse for injector lubrication than straight diesel. And then your mixing unleaded gas into it... I would love to see some factual data to back up the W85 claims...

Sam

how so?

genie144

Reaction score
A study testing additives to diesel found (although further study is necessary) that WMO decreased the lubricity of regular D2. Taking straight WMO and adding a drying non-lubricative fuel doesn't increase lubricity. Unless I am missing something...

Sam

rsr911

Reaction score
I read that study and it does not hold water. They tested WMO mixed with D2 at about 0.5%, it showed minor to no improvement over D2. We are talking about not using WMO as an additive but as the primary component of the fuel. If D2 is so much better at lubricating parts why don't you put it in your crankcase and drain that silly oil out.

Data? 50k miles on blended fuels on a rebuilt IP and old injectors of unknown mileage.

genie144

Reaction score
Show me any DATA that supports an assertion otherwise...

Not here to argue, but I don't buy butt dyno for performance mods or blended fuel... You want people to take W85 seriously - get some data other than "It feels better to me..."

Sam

glamis

Reaction score
YES YES YES !!!!
I FINALLY HAD A THREAT DERAILED YAHOO !!!!!

akchem,carry on fellas

rsr911

Reaction score
Why would I pay for testing for something I already know works other than for personal knowledge? Testing like that is not inexpensive, I have looked into all sorts of testing. When it comes to lubricity if it's good enough for the crankcase then it should be good enough for the IP and injectors, after all the crank bearing surfaces etc. are under much more load than the parts in an injection system.

Also note that in the test linked to previously WMO DID show a very small improvement at 0.5%, common sense would indicate that had the percentage been higher the improvement may have been greater.

My data is not "it feels better to me", my data is 50k plus miles on blends, took the engine apart for head gaskets and found it amazingly clean. It starts everyday and drives as strong as ever. My neighbor running my fuel also passed the E-check test in our state, which is admittedly rather simple for trucks of this vintage (particulate matter only) he still passed at the low end of the scale which is fantastic.

rsr911

Reaction score
LOL, besides the data in that study showed a minor improvement at 0.5% Some of the compounds test actually got worse. One has to wonder what 5-85% does to the lubricity. My feeling is it's vastly improved.

Clay

Reaction score
A study testing additives to diesel found (although further study is necessary) that WMO decreased the lubricity of regular D2. Taking straight WMO and adding a drying non-lubricative fuel doesn't increase lubricity. Unless I am missing something...

Sam
You are spot on. WVO on the other hand is VERY lubricating and injectors quiet right down with it.

Charles

Reaction score
Few observations as a casual observer here...

One guy is stoked that his truck hasn't completely fallen apart and blown up after a whopping 50,000 miles on WMO, lol. I mean the guy's is actually considering a 50,000 mile service interval without component failure as proof of concept, lol. As if diesel fuel lubricated injection pumps and injectors didn't routinely surpass 2, 3 4 and 500,000 miles or more. Hell, lets talk about OTR tractor engines with injection pumps running a million miles or more on diesel fuel...

50K, lol. Hold on to your socks...

Another group harkens to "quiet injectors" as some sort of proof of lubricity. First off.... who are you people that you're hearing something in the fuel side in your injectors on a running engine??? And just exactly what specific parts are making the noise you speak of??? The sound of a diesel is the rapid combustion of the fuel. If that's getting quieter, then rest assured.... it's not because your damn injectors are well lubricated, lol, it's because you just retarded your timing by injecting a slower burning fuel or one with a higher autoignition point.

Lastly, if you've ever seen whole sets of injectors run on some of the WVO concoctions out there with their HOPELESSLY rusted and pitted bodies and destroyed P&B assemblies it doesn't take rocket science to conclude that the lubricity was um.... a bit low, lol.

I'm sure people are turning out sufficient fuel with sufficient lubricity and sufficiently low particulate sizes. I'm also sure that a GREAT number more are pouring absolute crap into their injection systems with a blissful grin of complete ignorance on their faces the whole while...

LOL

Latest posts

Members online