Coolant in fuel

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Just picked up an 01 f-350 that the previous owner had parked last year after he discovered coolant mixing with the fuel (what he told me) truck has 450,000 kms (270,000 miles) he was told it was the injectors. Truck has been parked for 10 months now. What do you think could be causing coolant and fuel to mix? What should I do before trying to start it? Thanks

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Is there a way to find which one is cracked or should I just change all of them?

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
you could pull all the injectors and pressurize the cooling system and maybe find which one it is but i would just replace them all

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
if coolant is mixing into the fuel the fuel pressure would have to be lower than the coolant pressure.

qcfarmer

Reaction score
I am just going on what the PO told me but I also think he meant fuel in coolant. I will know more when I go puck it up this week-end.

Next question, can I start it to drive it on the trailer? The batteries are dead because its been sitting for 10 months but other than the fuel in coolant it supposedly runs fine. Can I just charge the batteries and fire it up?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
yes if it is fuel in coolant you can run it all you want(when the surge tank gets full it will make a mess). you might want to try high sulfur (red) fuel to help diagnose this problem, the red fuel on top of the coolant makes it obvious.

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Thanks, I've got plenty of red fuel on the farm. I wanted to drive it a bit before tearing it apart to see what all needs to be done so it only comes apart once.

Black 02

Reaction score
Go to Harbor Freight and get a coolant pressure tester. Pull the injectors and pressurize the system.

I had the same problem and it was easy to see the leakers.

jaybuller

Reaction score
its all the same... most folks just think its different. I order untaxed red dye #2 all the time for work and it is all ULSD.. I tried to get LSD and couldn't find any anywhere.

Black 02

Reaction score
Yep, a lot of times, our fuel distributor will haul out "off road fuel" for heavy equipment and it'll be green and he drops in a bunch of red dye before he leaves. Just shows the feds you didn't pay tax for the fuel if you get checked.

dustinz85

Reaction score
its all the same... most folks just think its different. I order untaxed red dye #2 all the time for work and it is all ULSD.. I tried to get LSD and couldn't find any anywhere.

LSD is damn here impossible to find... maybe on the street corner LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dont think they even refine lsd anymore. Im assuming #2 fuel oil is just ulsd also. That stuff used to be cheaper than #2 road diesel but was the same stuff.

qcfarmer

Reaction score
I dont think they even refine lsd anymore. Im assuming #2 fuel oil is just ulsd also. That stuff used to be cheaper than #2 road diesel but was the same stuff.

Yeah, I meant to say I have dyed fuel here on the farm. It is all the same stuff just different taxes

Latest posts

Members online