Coolant in fuel

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yeah, I meant to say I have dyed fuel here on the farm. It is all the same stuff just different taxes

I was just stating some.facts. Otherwise I would have quoted whoever I was directing the comments at.

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Changed the fuel filter and there is definitely coolant in there. Where could it be coming from?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369565998.708116.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369566013.794428.jpg

Lang

Reaction score
Did your pressure test the coolant system as explained above?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Every 7.3 ive diagnosed and worked on thar has had fuel in the coolant resovoir, has ended up being injector cups. As stated, pull injectors, pressureize your coolant system to 15lbs, get a flashlight and mirror, get a bottle of soapy water and spray each cup (the soapy water will cause bubbles to form where the leak is, kind of like finding a hole in a tire) if its not immediatley obvious which cup is leaking. They usually crack, but this last week, I had one that actually had a pin hole in it, and had a steady stream when pressured up

ghohouston

Reaction score
And you need to clean out your fuel bowl, you can open the drain, pour in brake clean, diesel, something, scrub the bottom till its silver colored again, dont fill it up so much it can go into the lines though. Or you csn just remove the bowl and really clean it well

TyCorr

Reaction score
And you need to clean out your fuel bowl, you can open the drain, pour in brake clean, diesel, something, scrub the bottom till its silver colored again, dont fill it up so much it can go into the lines though. Or you csn just remove the bowl and really clean it well

Yea! I never cleaned mine until.about 230k. I couldnt get the.drain open. Then it finally opened but wouldn't drain anything. Pulled it out and there was effin dirt packed into the drain. I had to take the drain valve off and drill a hole through the crud.

One thing to consider when removing the fuel bowl is getting orings FIRST. The fuel supply is a goofy fitting. Tend to leak during reinstall. Also dont break anything overtightening.

I personally hate that POS.

Coolant in fuel. So we're looking at injector cups that failed? Or are you guys thinking a bad headgasket thats pressurizing the cooling system?

ghohouston

Reaction score
There are 2 possibilities, cups, or cracked head, and like I stated, ive worked on tons of powerstrokes, my company has 400 plus, that get the piss driven out of them and idle all day long, we see a lot of ****ed up trucks, and have every fuel in coolant situation has been cracked injector cups

ghohouston

Reaction score
And if you can get a small piece of wire or something and push it through a stopped up drain valve once the valve is opened, it will clear it up, if you dont want to pull the bowl that is

TyCorr

Reaction score
Not this! No way. I broke a fine drillbit. Im talking concrete like. Used a punch and chisel to.break it out. There was pictures on that other site.

That inspired me to move to a cartridge style system. Two stages.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Not this! No way. I broke a fine drillbit. Im talking concrete like. Used a punch and chisel to.break it out. There was pictures on that other site.

That inspired me to move to a cartridge style system. Two stages.

Good lord! Thats news to me, and lol that "other site" ill get on there about once a month now, its changed so damn much

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I know the bowl is dirty but I wanted to snap the pics before I cleaned it. I am going to be doing all the injector o-rings and cups, the kit had already been ordered. There is no apparent fuel on the coolant, just a bit of cooling in the fuel bowl. Previous owner noticed it was doing it and parked it right away. Truck has been sitting for ten months. Here it is starting for first time.ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369597239.507422.jpg
It took three or four tries before it caught. It now starts on half a turn and idles smooth. It has plenty of power and doesn't miss at all. The guy was selling the original box that he took off when truck was brand new. He replaced it with his work box (he shoes horses). He wanted 1000$ for box, tailgate, bumper, all which had 0 miles on them. When I asked how much for the truck, he said 1000$ for the complete box, and the truck goes with it. Needless to say, I bought it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369597605.048955.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369597621.634863.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369597638.007114.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369597657.507363.jpg

Latest posts

Members online