Coolant loss after overheat

Sicksoh

Reaction score
Hey everyone have a question. 2006 f350 deleted and studded. We were pulling our fiver home a few weeks ago and lost the tensioner which lead to the belt. So we started to overheat only went just far enough to find a safe place to stop, which was maybe another mile. Got a ride to the local ford picked up a tensioner and belt and fixed it in the parking lot added coolant and carried on. Now I notice that after we are done pulling our fiver again there is definately less coolant in the degas. Did I blow my headgaskets even with the studs? I notice no white smoke and oil is still good not milky. No drips no leaks where else can it go. We are pulling 15k. Thanks everyone

Sicksoh

Reaction score
Ya checked again coolant low again. Is it possible that I lost that much coolant in the overheat, that I am just working out the air now. I have put 2 gallons in now and need to add more. I checked and can't find any leaks.

ghohouston

Reaction score
these trucks hold around 5 gallons of coolant total fyi, i would keep checking the oil though, is it overfull at all? any white smoke in the exhaust?

Gary

Reaction score
I'd put a pressure gauge on the cooling system and see what kind of pressure its building before you condemn the head-gaskets.

Gary

Reaction score
I typically see 5PSI on a good engine, the radiator cap will whistle at 15PSI, so if it builds 10+PSI after a few minutes I'd say you have a problem.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but I thought anything under 15-16 ish psi with a pressure gauge t'eed into one of the resovoir lines was acceptable. I mean from personal experience, having done this, ive had trucks losing coolant due to a blown egr cooler, and bossman told me to put on a gauge and see what kind of pressure we were getting, and was always around 14-15 ish

Gary

Reaction score
I've ran a pressure gauge on a few 6.0's, on a healthy engine its about 5psi, if its not 5psi then its 15ish and it had a problem, thats the way I've seen it over the years.

Sicksoh

Reaction score
Thanks I guys I will try to get a pressure gauge on it and check things out. I threw some more coolant in but have t drive it yet to see if it stays where it's at. Still hoping I just boiled over that much.

Sicksoh

Reaction score
Nope not yet I had just put more coolant in but haven't had a chance to drive the truck yet. Other then that everything is working great still lots of power no white smoke.

Sicksoh

Reaction score
Well I haven't had a chance to put a gauge on it but didn't lose any coolant on my last drive but I was not hooked to a trailer either. So keeping my fingers crossed that I had just lost that much coolant. If I lose more I will put a gauge on it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.