Coolant temps too high?

SmokeyStroker

Reaction score
Well it's 97 degrees out today and I saw the highest coolant temp yet on my truck so far, 214 degrees with my job box and compressor in the back and ~250 pounds of tools. Is there something wrong with my cooling system? Levels are good, color and stuff are good. Maybe an oil cooler issue? Or is it just da** hot?

For the record I did search, but after the 4th page I just decided to post.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
If it's within 15* of your oil then no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeyStroker

Reaction score
What kind of issues sootie. I should mention I am running 37s and a 7 inch lift. And it hit this temp at 65mph. I have no obstructions in the front like dirt or grass. . My boost is usually around 8 psi at this mph too. And I also have a edge cs, yes I know it sucks, but it doesn't monitor oil Temps so I can't compare deltas. Sitting at idle the Temps drop back down to 187 to 190 really quick.
Water pump?

sootie

Reaction score
I would start with oil cooler. But if you can't read oil temp, you are pissing in the wind as far as diagnostics go. Could be thermostats also.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Did your fan kick on? Id have it scanned and see if your fan clutch it working

slc6oh

Reaction score
i noticed this week as well, mines been in the 200-205 coolant temp range running around town with 95ish ambient temp, oil temp is right there within 5 or so, so I'm not sweating it. . . .

that oil temp reading is truly what you need to know so you can compare to that coolant temp.

Downey

Reaction score
It was 92 here today and running empty with 35s I was running around 200-204 oil and 198-206 coolant. 214 with 37s and that much lift idk if I would sweat it. But you need oil temp first

SmokeyStroker

Reaction score
Did your fan kick on? Id have it scanned and see if your fan clutch it working

I would start with oil cooler. But if you can't read oil temp, you are pissing in the wind as far as diagnostics go. Could be thermostats also.

I actually did some testing that actually confused me a little. Last night I took a 3 hour trip to panama city and I took my ids with me to monitor eot and ect. On the way down the my average ect was 202 with a peak of 208, and my eot average was 210 to 215. The fan has never kicked on full blast while driving. Ambient temp was 92-95 somewhere around there.

On the way back home that same night, but much later, the ambient temp was 73 out and the ect and eot was exactly the same, if not a little higher. Fan never came on, and boost was around 10 psi at 70 mph. I was so confused about this.

I just have a feeling something isn't right with the engine. I have saved up a a** load of parts for this engine over the years and haven't had to do anything to it, but I'm about to go all in before something really happens.

Thanks for your insite sootie and ctc. I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Edit: I scanned it also. Just egr codes from the ****** present.

Last edited:

SmokeyStroker

Reaction score
Do they make an upgrade for the factory fan? Never understood why 2 huge electric fans wouldn't put out the same cfm as the factory single fan

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
god no e fans dont move nearly enough unless you have ALOT of money into the fans, controller, wiring... even then they are dangerous and unreliable.

nothing screams dependability like a old school clutch fan. Im sure eTroyer has a setup, but theres no way you could convince me to convert

swinky

Reaction score
My truck doesn't even have a fan and runs under 190 on the highway.... takes forever to get to 200 if stuck in traffic.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

SmokeyStroker

Reaction score
Well I guess there is something wrong then. Going to put an oil cooler and T Stat in when I have time this weekend. Going to swap to ultra elc also, also how do you run under 190 with no fan?:confused: