Cracked blocks

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Darn. Now I'm afraid to do studs lol

I wouldn't be to afraid. Of the thousands of 6.4 trucks out there studded only a handful have cracked. The other thing I have started doing is using more steps to torque the studs. On my drag truck instead of 3 steps to 275 with my arps. I tightened em in 25lb increments. It takes alot longer and might be overkill but so far it is holding great.

78f100

Reaction score
They seem to crack after the second or third time being torqued. The block we cracked had the original A1studs in for 35k miles torqued at 190 ft lbs. Motor was pulled for new pistons. Same studs were reused but new spec called for 210ft lbs. Motor went 50 miles and coolant was leaking out of threads on one stud. Job was redone this time sealing threads with liquid teflon. Went approximately another 50 miles before crack spread to the lifter galley, flooding engine in coolant. The crack runs horizontally front to back 4 threads from the bottom of the hole. Almost like the block pulled apart with the torque. The stud with the issue was on the right hand side second stud from the back, top row. Right where the casting is the thinnest. Truck now has a new block with studs torqued back at 190 and so far isnt leaking.

Did it crack at the casting line? I have not seen a actual crack yet.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Did it crack at the casting line? I have not seen a actual crack yet.

No its about an inch below it. In the pic its the line below the casting line.
uploadfromtaptalk1369860093209.jpg

powerstroked08

Reaction score
So from what im gathering most of the issues have been on the second, third ect. retorque, or on the trucks that have added some torque to the final pull on the studs. Is this a fair assessment?

mike@haller's

Reaction score
So from what im gathering most of the issues have been on the second, third ect. retorque, or on the trucks that have added some torque to the final pull on the studs. Is this a fair assessment?

From what ive seen yes.

How much are people filling these blocks? And are these trucks able to be daily driven with the blocks filled?

The only truck I know of having a filled block is erik clausen's. So elite will have to chime in with that info.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Its just weird how these things happen. I just want the same block that Nick has(extreme3807) Hell his is handling 1300+horse on all stock internals! But some trucks are popping at 550-600...... :wtf:

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
I guess an aftermarket cgi block would have to be done. I wondered before why maxxforce 7 blocks were never used, now I know.

Jgon08

Reaction score
Its just weird how these things happen. I just want the same block that Nick has(extreme3807) Hell his is handling 1300+horse on all stock internals! But some trucks are popping at 550-600...... :wtf:

He's running all stock bottom I believe. At that power I hope it holds, but I believe it will not last to long.

webb06

Reaction score
Add me to the list

Truck was stock until 70k miles. I bought it with 69k. Tuned it and ran it till 90k when the converter went. Did egr delete then as well.

Recently did a pretty good build and put in studs. When I looked up the torque value online I found 325ft lbs for the arps I had. So that's what I torqude them to. Later on found out I only should have torqued them to 275.

So I think that's what did my block in. I pulled the pan after work today and pressurized it and could see water dripping off the drivers side coming off the rod bolts.

Last edited:

01PSD

Reaction score
He's running all stock bottom I believe. At that power I hope it holds, but I believe it will not last to long.

One can only imagine that'll be the case, he's had ****ty luck with everything, but the bottom end is holding 1300 HP :wtf: LOL

Motostroker

Reaction score
I think I will solve my cracked block issue before it happens. Just get a 6.7 with a warranty.....

Latest posts

Members online