crank case venting idea

Nic

Reaction score
A little tired of seeing the trashy look of the smoke coming out from under the bed. What about running the hose from the crank case, down the frame about 3-5ft or so and putting a 'Y' fitting and going back up to the intake with a slightly smaller diameter hose. Maybe this would suck most of the smoke back but still allow the residue (if any) to keep gravity feeding down? Sorry of its stupid. Just a random idea.

Last edited:

6.4f350

Reaction score
You can put in a catch can to accomplish the same thing.

I'd just run it into the exhaust, that's the simplest solution and you don't have to drain anything or worry about that crap going back into your intake.

Nic

Reaction score
This was an easier idea than a catch can was my point and I wouldn't have to spend 800 dollars on some fancy catch can that someone built. I just mainly want to cut down on the vapor that plumes up from under the truck. I would run it to the exhaust but then it would look like the truck is slightly hazing. Not looking for that either.

6.4f350

Reaction score
The only problem with the Y fitting is that eventually the line will fill up and you'll get a whole bunch of oil pushed into the intake at once. You can get a cheap generic catch can on eBay and plumb it in, no need to pay a bunch of money for some kit.

johnp115

Reaction score
Not being a dick but it is what it is. Either deal with it, dump it into the exhaust (at the right angle of course), do a catch can setup, or if it really bothers you put it back into the intake like factory, kinda just a part of the deal.

Jbird

Reaction score
On the mishimoto catch can theres two ports. Do you need that for this setup? Would you not just run a hose to one port? Or is the other for a type of vent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.4f350

Reaction score
On the mishimoto catch can theres two ports. Do you need that for this setup? Would you not just run a hose to one port? Or is the other for a type of vent?

The other port goes back into the intake. There are baffles inside the can to catch all the oil vapor, the 'clean' air is all that gets back into the intake.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Tractor supply has a cheap strainer you can get, run the CCV into it and it has a catch can for it (with a little drain valve) and then run the other port back into the intake

DWhite

Reaction score
^ exactly what I have on mine. A tractor supply 1" strainer can then it goes into the exhaust. I made mine for about 20 bucks.

Big Bad 6.4

Reaction score
With the Mishimoto you can vta and have "clean" air out. This would work if your running a No Limit CAI or run back to intake if your running an S&B CAI. Just a thought...

Is 1/2 hose big enough to use for the CCV to connect a catch can?

Last edited:

Jbird

Reaction score
Whats vta? Sorry the shop set my catch can up and im pretty sure its wrong. Hose from ccv to first port then second to some cheap filter deal? I dont understand the point of it and looking for answers. Running a no limit intake

Jbird

Reaction score
So whats the point of the catch can? To keep it from hazing?

6.4f350

Reaction score
To keep the oil vapor from spewing out, whether it's vented to the atmosphere, intake or exhaust. So yeah - to prevent it from hazing. If you have it venting under your cab or bed it will make a horrible mess and smell like **** at every stop light. The only way I would route it are to plumb it into the exhaust at an angle so that you get a slight vacuum pulled on the crankcase, or through a catch can and back into the intake or out to the open air (still smelly at stop lights though).

snik

Reaction score
This 06 250 I picked up has a vta setup with a catch can.
I always noticed the slight smoke when I got to a stop. Finally figured out what it was. Catch can has about a 3" long mesh and the rest is empty.

The smoke isn't bad but when I do notice it it annoys me a bit. We'll see if I still feel annoyed now that I know the source of the smoke.

jcain

Reaction score
I like gambling with my vta no catch can ccv. Never sure if the truck is on fire or just venting ��

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
I like gambling with my vta no catch can ccv. Never sure if the truck is on fire or just venting ��
Same here! I had a old woman in the McDonald's drive through come up and knock on my window to see if I knew that my truck was smoking. Lol

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Rubenk

Reaction score
I never smell this "horrid" smell you all talk about. Mine is vented to air right before the rear wheel well, and either I never smell it or it just smells like a diesel truck to me and I dont realize thats where its coming from.

I have had a few people here and there look to see why its smoking under there though, mostly guys at the drag strip and they look clueless when I tell them what it is.

Nick284

Reaction score
i have my exhaust welded. but for the life of me, any line i run to connect it, build pressure and smokes white. currently i dont have any line hooked to it... i had a 3/4 line, realized it was kinked. switched to a 1" with a fitting for a straighter line, still smokes. maybe the line isnt flowing down consistantly to the exhaust and build pressure?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
if you guys run a catch can make dam sure its restriction free. either back to the intake or to the exhaust.. if not, you will build pressure and start pushing oil from places you dont want it to..

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online