Detuning large injector nozzles - How to pick injector size for upgrades!

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Im 99% sure these injectors have issues.

What has brought you to this conclusion? Seriously if there is something we can fix we will fix it. But to just be spouting that off without any reason other than some hazing when cold is a wee bit premature.

So I'm seriously looking for your input to straighten this out.

Swaan

Reaction score
What has brought you to this conclusion? Seriously if there is something we can fix we will fix it. But to just be spouting that off without any reason other than some hazing when cold is a wee bit premature.

So I'm seriously looking for your input to straighten this out.

Driving and wrenchin on diesels for the last 30 years of my life has brought me to this conclusion tim.
Im not some snot nose kid spouting off because of a little haze here. Its much more then that.

Really whats there to straighten out. I sht the bed on this one and waited too long. Off Warrenty now anyway.
I was busy with life and kept on thinking maybe it was tuning. Is what it is.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Tim never said you were stuck buying a new set.

Fwiw, the injectors in my truck came from the sane man as yours. He is more fond of the size you have in your truck. I am not calling you out, saying you're wrong, or anything else. Im just having a tough time believing quality can be that bad. If he had build issueswith injector my truck would be the problem child.

And id never say an s366 us in the same league on a 7.3 as the 38r is. Ive had a fair bit if experience on a truck eith 238/80s and an s366 to know that the guys in the last fad blathering on about "the s366 is a better turbo than the 38r, flows more" were full of shti. The old standard s series bw turbos were as bottomof the barrel garbage as you can get. You arent going to overfuel one for years and end and have it live to tell like the "sucky" 38r.

I adjusted my wastegate a bit today and put new rear sway bar links on and my boost is still 36psi max and my egts are down cruising at 70 to right under 600 degrees.

Im gonna tune my gate and such until this turbo is perfect WITH the dreaded 11 blade wheel. If that works we'll put the 38r is junk bs to bed.

Swaan

Reaction score
Man why are you guys so defensive .
No one ever said ever that the 38r was junk.
What we have been saying is there is better options now.
And yes i do agree. The box s366 is subpar.
The sxe 366 is a whole different beast thou.
Different comp housing,turbine wheel , comp wheel , thrust bearing , really cant compare the two.

Just once if one you 38r ball swingers would just try one
I think you'd have a different attitude completely.

Swaan

Reaction score
As far as injectors go, im not saying all tims injectors have issues . Im just saying i think mine do.
Also im not expecting anything from him.
I was just stating my experience with hazing and what ive done to try and fix it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Man why are you guys so defensive .
No one ever said ever that the 38r was junk.
What we have been saying is there is better options now.
And yes i do agree. The box s366 is subpar.
The sxe 366 is a whole different beast thou.
Different comp housing,turbine wheel , comp wheel , thrust bearing , really cant compare the two.

I thought you have a 364.5? At any rate I dont have much to gain right now by switching to a t4 just to run an sxe so my boost is at 45 instead of 36.

If i thought it was my injectors id be arrranging to send them in. But i understand its annoying more than anything.

Swaan

Reaction score
Yes ty im currently running the 364.5.
Before that i was running a s366 with the upgraded ww2.
For towing the 364.5 proves to be a big advantage over the 66 i had.

Injectors, yup thats probley whats going to happen in the end if live tuning dont help.. just going to wait for this weather to get better and im on it.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
As far as injectors go, im not saying all tims injectors have issues . Im just saying i think mine do.
Also im not expecting anything from him.
I was just stating my experience with hazing and what ive done to try and fix it.

You know how to contact us if you want to send them in to be looked at. Anything is possible to be going on. But that size in particular I have had many many conversations with many many different tuners on how to cure this exact issue. Some I here got it figured out after doing some live tuning sessions, some apparently have not. Most our customers keep in contact and we hear things get sorted out with tuning.

Feel free to give us a shout. We make our money from people like you being happy. It does me no good having you unhappy with our product.

Swaan

Reaction score
Tim can you elaborate on what tuner knows how to tune these injectors. Pm me if you like.

Worse case senario if these are coming out i will contact you . Thanks.

ja_cain

Reaction score
All I can say is it would be in Tim's best interest (like he said) to get your setup straight if it's injector related regardless of warranty. That's why I love this forum. I just know he will make it right. ;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

see, here is the thing, we don't have to. it is doing exactly what it needs to do.. it did take a 10hr drive and a live tuning session to do so but there would be absolutely no benefit for me to spend the coin on going to that sxe setup..

what I and others have been saying is that tuning or leaks or something wasn't right when running a 38r or the like unless there was no live tuning session involved.. what you stated that you spent on tuning would have been solved sooner spending that on one set of tunes and getting live tunning done..

and yes, I had you confused earlier when I stated that you ran a 38r.. my bad..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

rusty1161

Reaction score
You know how to contact us if you want to send them in to be looked at. Anything is possible to be going on. But that size in particular I have had many many conversations with many many different tuners on how to cure this exact issue. Some I here got it figured out after doing some live tuning sessions, some apparently have not. Most our customers keep in contact and we hear things get sorted out with tuning.

Feel free to give us a shout. We make our money from people like you being happy. It does me no good having you unhappy with our product.

Awesome!

The Brad

Reaction score
see, here is the thing, we don't have to. it is doing exactly what it needs to do.. it did take a 10hr drive and a live tuning session to do so but there would be absolutely no benefit for me to spend the coin on going to that sxe setup..

what I and others have been saying is that tuning or leaks or something wasn't right when running a 38r or the like unless there was no live tuning session involved.. what you stated that you spent on tuning would have been solved sooner spending that on one set of tunes and getting live tunning done..

and yes, I had you confused earlier when I stated that you ran a 38r.. my bad..

live life full throttle

Holy crap! Did I read that right? A 38r needs live tuning, but an SXE doesn't?

Look! I've seen what a 38r can do with 200% nozzles and it's definitely better than what mine did with 80% nozzles, but I KNOW I had no boost/exhaust leaks and my 364.5 made a world of difference.

I've delt with Tim way after my warranty was over and he didn't think twice about shipping me a new injector to replace one that wasn't firing at idle consistently.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Look! I've seen what a 38r can do with 200% nozzles and it's definitely better than what mine did with 80% nozzles, but I KNOW I had no boost/exhaust leaks and my 364.5 made a world of difference.
to get max effort out of it it needed live tuning.. I didnt say it was the turbos fault.. I said my tuning wasn't right or taking changes.. i was simply stating that it took live tuning for me to be happy..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score

His statement is true. Whether directed appropriately or not.

Any tuner will affirm as much. Its not because the turbo but lets face it if everyone was running around in a stock 7.3 with a powermax or tuned with a pmax, you'd hear nothing of these stories of woeful inadequacies.

If a 200% nozzle truck can run like dynamite with a 38r and a stock truck can run better than stock with a 38r, theres ZERO reason barring mechanical failure that it can't do the same on anything else.

Ive noticed that Tims injectors arent always good to go on tunes written for other injectors because the tuner might call for 2.8ms thinking builder a requires 2.8 to do what is wanted in 2.4. My 250/200s from him fuel waaaaaaaay harder than the competitors i had.

TyCorr

Reaction score
to get max effort out of it it needed live tuning.. I didnt say it was the turbos fault.. I said my tuning wasn't right or taking changes.. i was simply stating that it took live tuning for me to be happy..

live life full throttle

And these types of threads are the direct result of canned tunes not working. I agree.

My tunes are decent but they definitely could be massaged.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Ive noticed that Tims injectors arent always good to go on tunes written for other injectors because the tuner might call for 2.8ms thinking builder a requires 2.8 to do what is wanted in 2.4. My 250/200s from him fuel waaaaaaaay harder than the competitors i had.

You hit the nail on the head right there.

I can not tell you how many times people get tired of having issues with "x" size injectors and have us send them out set with the same capacity and the same nozzle size and then go round and round with their tuner. i preached and I preached a lot of times the similarities end with the numbers on the box. But some people just won't have that. I can't come on here and tell you the reason your injectors run like crap is because everyone of your oil sides is full of shims. When I do I get jumped by the "swingers" and I'm the bad guy because I took more time and more effort to offer something better. Seems worth it right?

V-Ref

Reaction score
Man i wish my crap 175/80 pis injectors idled thst clean on a cold start like that.

GHs Hydra tuning "All Out" tune

Unlimited 400cc/200% injs

18F air temp

12F oil temp

overnight, no plug, not driven in 5 days, truck has been driven 17 miles since HG replacement, probably still have some air in the HPO sys.

i-pHc8qzf-M.jpg

After 5 minutes of idleing (******** "Whisper" tune)

url=http://autorotate.smugmug.com/Other/
i-2WS5NJ5-M.jpg

Ghs Hydra tuning with the new 4 line is the best my truck has idled...ever. I'm sure other tuners have idle figured out too, just posting my experience. The reason for the engine compartment shot, is to show no "shake, rattle, and roll" like I've had before....he'll probably say it's the same tables, and he didn't change a thing now :) ....but I'm just sayin'
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=24581&share_type=t&share_pid=902905

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online