diesel O-ring dipstick repair kit.

dsberman94

Reaction score
ive been expecting this for a while now. being a northern truck its entire life and having over 200k miles at this point, my oil pan has started gushing oil all of a sudden at the dipstick area on the pan. there was not even a day where there was a couple of drips, just gushing and a puddle today at the tire shop no less. i have looked at strictly diesel's kit and i found the diesel o rings kit. From a cost standpoint, im wondering if anyone has ever used the diesel o rings kit and if it worked or not and how difficult it was to get the new flange nut to start threading. id be using the ford gray rtv as i think it will seal better when using this kit. thanks in advance for any help.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Last time I took it out the fiberglass housing on the outside shattered when it moved and the stud that the power wire goes on fell right out still connected to the wire. Just don't want to have that happen again. I don't remember if the new one I bought is still under warranty or not through the parts store.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Last time I took it out the fiberglass housing on the outside shattered when it moved and the stud that the power wire goes on fell right out still connected to the wire. Just don't want to have that happen again. I don't remember if the new one I bought is still under warranty or not through the parts store.

Translated: You dropped it. LOL

dsberman94

Reaction score
Translated: You dropped it. LOL

No. The fiberglass was actually that brittle. I wasn't even changing or removing the starter to start with. I was changing the entire positive battery cable, went to loosen the nut that holds the cable on, with the starter still bolted to the motor, and the whole thing broke loose with almost no pressure. I was able to pull the wire out with the stud and nut still 100% tight and the jumper wire still between them. The cable harness still hasn't been thrown away so the stud might still be on the end of it.

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
It's 2 fuggin bolts. Don't try too hard.
Really? The last time I changed a starter, there were two bolts holding it in place, but 2 nuts keeping it from being removed. It can be a PITA putting all of your presets back in after disconnecting the batteries. I think the OP's question is valid. Why remove something if it isn't necessary?

79jasper

Reaction score
Mine has 3....
When I pull it, I just do it carefully and stick the battery wire in a glove to keep it from shorting.
I would guess starter removal for more working room. If you don't think you need to pull it, don't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
Why does it have you remove the starter? I was looking at it today and it looked like there was plenty of room without removing it.
02 s went to the smaller starter. Previous models were noticeably bigger.

I've broken brand new solenoid caps, installing them. I'd just plan on a new solenoid, if you decide to drop the starter. Its about about 20$.

m j

Reaction score
you need all the room you can get
this is a PITA repair, getting the o ring to seat correctly inside the pan took me two tries and a specialty 2" service wrench

Jomax

Reaction score
I,prefer strictly diesel kit. It's more. But way easier to install and works.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Mine has 3....
When I pull it, I just do it carefully and stick the battery wire in a glove to keep it from shorting.
I would guess starter removal for more working room. If you don't think you need to pull it, don't.

You remover your starter with your batteries connected!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
When I'm just swapping it. I was having some problems with the old starter. So it was in and out a lot.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I,prefer strictly diesel kit. It's more. But way easier to install and works.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yea, about $250 more. And I'm not sure how well that exterior o ring is going to seat on a pitted and rotted exterior of a northern oil pan. Wish I could but it's not in the wallet at the moment.

Reaction score
When I'm just swapping it. I was having some problems with the old starter. So it was in and out a lot.

Careful, I caught my truck on fire the one time I didn't disconnect my batteries lol I got lucky and put it out in time!

pdumont01

Reaction score
Careful, I caught my truck on fire the one time I didn't disconnect my batteries lol I got lucky and put it out in time!

I was working over the battery of a 6.0L my wrench slipped, fell and touched the terminals of the battery and the battery exploded in my face into a hundred pieces, a quick trip to the eyewash station and some ringing ears later I was back in business I got lucky. Scared the hell out of me. Not really related but I reccomend unhooking the battery for the starter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I was working over the battery of a 6.0L my wrench slipped, fell and touched the terminals of the battery and the battery exploded in my face into a hundred pieces, a quick trip to the eyewash station and some ringing ears later I was back in business I got lucky. Scared the hell out of me. Not really related but I reccomend unhooking the battery for the starter.

Wow you sure did get lucky! Glad your ok. My alternator failed in a parking lot and I was rushing to get it done. I ALWAYS disconnect battery's on every vehicle I work on, but I figured as long as I was careful I didn't need to take the time to disconnect them. I had a 1/4 ratchet on the 10mm nut on the back of the alternator tightening it, I lost my grip and the ratchet swung into one of the SS regulated return lines. It arced right through the line and sprayed diesel on everything and the whole engine bay went up in flames!

pdumont01

Reaction score
What were the chances that's crazy